Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by weero
How is that even possible?

Not once did I not have to waitlist ex. SYD (or ex anywhere else for that matter).
I always choose flights where I can see O space avalable Ive always been very lucky
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cbourl
I always choose flights where I can see O space avalable Ive always been very lucky
O or ON (should be nearly the same though for elites) ?

You book it as a saver award or a D/C/J=>F upgrade award?

I could imaging that C=>F is a lot easier these days than Y=>C but I had to WL even those.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
O or ON (should be nearly the same though for elites) ?

You book it as a saver award or a D/C/J=>F upgrade award?

I could imaging that C=>F is a lot easier these days than Y=>C but I had to WL even those.
Always as a D to ON with a GPU - this wont be possible any longer since soon no F to/from Australia
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
That is generous! But what do you mean with "been lucky"? That their upgrades do clear often?
I mean I just tell them to book whatever flight they want, then I call in and apply a GPU (waitlist be damned). So far only one hasn't cleared - although after applying, I do watch it diligently.

Very possible that they're just flying vacation off hours
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have never had GPU clear at time of booking. All my GPUs were waitlisted since I cannot book flights more than 2 months in advance and every time it's been R0. If GPU clears, 50% it's at the gate.

Since my TPACs are usually Z or P, I cannot use GPUs on those flights.

Last edited by CIT85; Feb 16, 2016 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:14 am

Always as a D to ON with a GPU - this wont be possible any longer since soon no F to/from Australia
And of course the Y=>C buckets look bleak .
Originally Posted by teeceedee
..Very possible that they're just flying vacation off hours
And willing to pay the premium?

Not too bad, I have to concede.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by teeceedee
I mean I just tell them to book whatever flight they want, then I call in and apply a GPU (waitlist be damned). So far only one hasn't cleared - although after applying, I do watch it diligently.

Very possible that they're just flying vacation off hours
No mt holidays are always Northern Hemisphere High Season! Havent had a GPU not clear on LH to First, nor Evouchers not clear to F on LX, nor a SAUA from C to F not clear using MileagePlus miles on LX
Just have to rethink the no more F on UA from AU to/from SFO Who scllepps through LAX unless I have to because I want to try the new LX F
Edited - Typos Big Fingers

Last edited by cbourl; Feb 16, 2016 at 2:35 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
And of course the Y=>C buckets look bleak .

And willing to pay the premium?

Not too bad, I have to concede.
Yeah, the "W" fare is the only thing I have to explain. It sucks, but they usually just bite the bullet.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to travel and use one myself this year so I can understand everyone else's pain ^
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've managed to clear all my GPU's in the past because my intl travel is not mostly for leisure so I am very flexible on dates and even destination. Back when I use to travel intl for work, I can understand not being able to clear. It's a shame UA makes is so difficult for their "top customers" to use this benefit.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

I didn't clear yesterday on LHR-IAH-LAX, even though I was originally booked into H class, and upfared to M (might as well get the PQD requirement out of the way). In fact, I probably would not have cleared while trying a 1K upgrade on IAH-LAX (into PN) because it went from 15/20 to 19/20 before I left LHR and then went to 20/20 on arrival. It probably has to do with the fact that I was offered a $199 TOD offer.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
It's a shame UA makes is so difficult for their "top customers" to use this benefit.
The biggest sting is that they force you to buy a higher fare just to be able to waitlist. The second biggest sting is that you cannot use GPU's on discounted business class. One of the GPU's that I lost due to failure to clear Y-->J could have been used to clear J-->F on a Z fare on another flight. Instead, a non-rev got to enjoy 1A on a 747.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by SS255
The biggest sting is that they force you to buy a higher fare just to be able to waitlist. The second biggest sting is that you cannot use GPU's on discounted business class...
Hmm those would be #2 and #3 ... the biggest insult to me is that they make you buy a high fare bucket to be waitlisted and then do not honour the waitlist but hawk your upgrade off to someone on a K fare who is willing to pay a few bucks.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
[SIZE=1]In fact, I probably would not have cleared while trying a 1K upgrade on IAH-LAX (into PN) because it went from 15/20 to 19/20 before I left LHR and then went to 20/20 on arrival. It probably has to do with the fact that I was offered a $199 TOD offer.
If UA can get $199 for the upgrade to F on a 737 IAH-LAX, more power to them.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:24 am

Hmm those would be #2 and #3 ... the biggest insult to me is that they make you buy a high fare bucket to be waitlisted and then do not honour the waitlist but hawk your upgrade off to someone on a K fare who is willing to pay a few bucks.
Or you can be sitting in C on a longhaul from SFO-SYD in Row 6 on UA Youve checked in that morning at JFK (no longer eeek Newark eeek) all the way to A, with a nice day in SF Downtown at Union Sq and in the Castro at Harveys or somesuch then you board late nite SFO-SYD or MEL via SYD And someone says you are sittting in their seat on the long haul - UA forgot to tell you when you boarded you were upgraded to F on the longhaul at UA's discretion without even needing to use an upgrade instrument - Gotta love UA! But no longer !!! All the nasty BF to AU Its ok on your JFK (or now EWR) - SFO jaunt but seriously its sooooooooooooooooooooo Continental now It seems even worse since Smisek left! And on a recent flight from SIN-HKG in UA GlobalFirst which was a fun flight with fun flight attendants (mostly SF based, staff commented how ashamed they were of UA and the demise of GlobalFirst to AU !!!

So my RTW regular LH/LX fare will probbaly utilise AC or CX so I can travel to EU/IL on the new LX F And my travel to a NY conference in Dec 2016 has been booked with AA miles AU-JFK on Eithad First/Apaprtments from MEL On the way back please pray AA release some F award seats on the day I want to leave NYC (already got a back up F award a day earlier JFK-MIA-LAX-SYD all in F on 777W except JFK-MIA) Seems AA have more award seats for lowly frequent flyers than the new UA does for its Premeier 1Ks
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:52 am

...UA forgot to tell you when you boarded you were upgraded to F on the longhaul at UA's discretion without even needing to use an upgrade instrument - Gotta love UA! But no longer !!!..
While nice, I don't need F cabins or upgrades to F. Actually, even Premium Economy is good enough for me.
So I and UA are more and more misaligned ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.