Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO immigration now longer than LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:45 am

The wheelchair service is SFO is abysmal. If you need one after deplaning, you might be waiting for quite a while. When the wheelchairs finally show up, you will most likely end up pushing it for your companion or wait longer. Each wheelchair attendant is responsible for 2-3 wheelchairs and cannot possibly push more than one at a time.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Flying southwest means you are on separate tickets. Any check bags? Even without checked bags, 90 mins, no GE, with kids, separate tickets, .... you will occasionally make this but I would not give it better than a 50% chance
Yes, 2 checked bags
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Yes, 2 checked bags
Your best case scenario is 45-50 minutes to get to the T1 security checkpoint. Assuming your inbound is on time, that leaves you just enough time to clear security and reach your gate. Basically no extra margin at all.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Your best case scenario is 45-50 minutes to get to the T1 security checkpoint. Assuming your inbound is on time, that leaves you just enough time to clear security and reach your gate. Basically no extra margin at all.
Ok appreciate all of the feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for. Seems like its really a coin flip if we can make the connection or not. Thanks again!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Yes, 2 checked bags
Hmm. I see problems. At least if you were flying on UA, your bags would check through and United would accommodate you on a later flight. Now you’re going to have to change terminals and check in with a different airline. I think you should assume you’re not going to make it. If I were in your shoes, I’d see what Southwest could do about putting you on a later flight.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Hmm. I see problems. At least if you were flying on UA, your bags would check through and United would accommodate you on a later flight. Now you’re going to have to change terminals and check in with a different airline. I think you should assume you’re not going to make it. If I were in your shoes, I’d see what Southwest could do about putting you on a later flight.
Yep. I had a flight booked from SFO to ONT direct departing at 8:50, which I figured wouldn't be a problem. Then they cancelled the route and gave me options to change. The options are fly into LAX non stop departing at 9:40 or try and get home sooner and catch the 8am out to BUR. Seems like Ill need to sit for 3 hrs and catch the 9:40 onto LAX and then drive the hr home.
Old May 24, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
is there a dedicated wheelchair line at terminal A? In pictures I see global entry, crew, mpc. Just curious because we will be using SFO for arriving into US for the first time ever.. as a big family. 4 w GE, and 2 in wheelchairs. Does anyone have recommendations as to how we go through, like split up (4 and 2? 3 and 3?) or all go together wherever the wheelchairs go?
Old May 24, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
is there a dedicated wheelchair line at terminal A? In pictures I see global entry, crew, mpc. Just curious because we will be using SFO for arriving into US for the first time ever.. as a big family. 4 w GE, and 2 in wheelchairs. Does anyone have recommendations as to how we go through, like split up (4 and 2? 3 and 3?) or all go together wherever the wheelchairs go?
My wife uses a wheelchair for long distances but can stand and walk very short distances. I've flown with with her out of SFO ~8 times in the past year, always T2, 3, or G, hopefully it will still be a helpful experience. If your wheelchair folks are bringing their own it's a whole different ballgame, and I don't know.

Sometimes I leave her at a bench on the curb or right inside the door and go looking, sometimes I can find a spare chair I can push her in (I know where to look).

If not, we find the shortest service line (curbside checkin or ticketing) and ask them to get one for us. That wait takes 10-45 minutes. Once you're in a wheelchair with an attendant, they will cut to the front of security lines, and the whole party can stick together and look sheepish. If you go to a club first, then the club will need to call again when you leave and while it is usually a bit faster, still allow 15 minutes for them to arrive.

Between waiting for the wheelchair and the extra time to get a wheelchair through security (not the security lines), we arrive three hours before scheduled departure. Sometimes that means we spend an hour plus in the club, sometimes we have had to go straight to the gate to arrive when boarding starts. I hope this helps. Happy to answer other questions.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by wcpierce
My wife uses a wheelchair for long distances but can stand and walk very short distances. I've flown with with her out of SFO ~8 times in the past year, always T2, 3, or G, hopefully it will still be a helpful experience. If your wheelchair folks are bringing their own it's a whole different ballgame, and I don't know.

Sometimes I leave her at a bench on the curb or right inside the door and go looking, sometimes I can find a spare chair I can push her in (I know where to look).

If not, we find the shortest service line (curbside checkin or ticketing) and ask them to get one for us. That wait takes 10-45 minutes. Once you're in a wheelchair with an attendant, they will cut to the front of security lines, and the whole party can stick together and look sheepish. If you go to a club first, then the club will need to call again when you leave and while it is usually a bit faster, still allow 15 minutes for them to arrive.

Between waiting for the wheelchair and the extra time to get a wheelchair through security (not the security lines), we arrive three hours before scheduled departure. Sometimes that means we spend an hour plus in the club, sometimes we have had to go straight to the gate to arrive when boarding starts. I hope this helps. Happy to answer other questions.
Presumably they were asking about going through immigration, given that this thread is about SFO immigration and they mention things like global entry and mobile passport control.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
is there a dedicated wheelchair line at terminal A? In...
As this is the UA forum and UA solely uses G International term and does not use International A terminal, who is your arriving carrier? Might get a better response from another forum.
Old May 24, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by angetenar
Presumably they were asking about going through immigration, given that this thread is about SFO immigration and they mention things like global entry and mobile passport control.
Good point. I have been through immigration twice with a wheelchair companion in the past 12 months, both G, but I'm guessing A is similar. We both have Global Entry but the wheelchair attendants take you to the front of the regular, staffed line, the whole party together.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Thanks for responses and sorry somehow missed that it was UA term! Will be arriving PR and flying out on UA (separate tickets) tho. I remember years ago the wheelchair agents were mad that they had to walk to a diff terminal, they weren't supposed to or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.