Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO immigration now longer than LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by j2simpso
My (limited) experience with SFO is that it has been relatively quick when I've flown in from a 3rd country. Typically the longest part of the journey is the queue for the GE machines which can last 3-5 minutes depending on time of day. Otherwise everything is speedy.
Why on earth does SFO have fewer than 20 GE kiosks? Yes, it's relatively quick, but with the number of arriving pax seems like they should double the number. IAD - my usual entry port - has 2x what SFO does.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just arrived on AF82, and immigration was backed up into the hallway. I was first to hit GE and flew through.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Why on earth does SFO have fewer than 20 GE kiosks?
There are two separate arrivals halls at SFO, so double those numbers. I've never had to wait more than 60 seconds for a kiosk.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Immigration line is just part of traveling, and there may or may not be a long line. What do you do when there is a line at the bank? at the grocery store? at McDonald's?....you wait.

Last edited by Mama; Apr 28, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
Immigration line is just part of traveling, and there may or may not be a long line. What do you do when there is a line at the bank? at the grocery store? at McDonald's?....you wait.
None of the bank, McDs or the food store are monopolies. If the queue is long I go elsewhere (obviously if I have spent an hour over choosing groceries and the queue is only 30 minutes I’ll wait, but I probably won’t return). 3 hour queues day in, day out are totally unacceptable, except among Government “service” providers.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:23 am

In terms of the line at LAX, it really depends on which order your flight lands in the very first arrival bank. There is around 8 flight from Australia/NZ to LAX landing almost at the same time, so depends on if your flight is first or 8th to pull into the gate you could be waiting anywhere from zero to 1 hour +
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

None of the bank, McDs or the food store are monopolies. If the queue is long I go elsewhere (obviously if I have spent an hour over choosing groceries and the queue is only 30 minutes I’ll wait, but I probably won’t return). 3 hour queues day in, day out are totally unacceptable, except among Government “service” providers.
And, at a minimum, you have the option of leaving and not waiting in line if you have an appointment (flight) in a short time.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:12 pm

Im flying this route at the end of February (landing on a Saturday morning), how long can I expect the wait time to be, on average? If I booked a domestic outbound flight for 1-1.5 hrs after schedule arrival could I make it back thru in time?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
We'd need a little more info to know for sure regarding your connection time. That said, if you have Global Entry you could be fine. I often connect from TPE-SFO to an onward UA flight with less than 2 hours connection time, and sometimes pushing only 1 hour. It's been close a couple of times, but I've always made it. I do have GE.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
Im flying this route at the end of February (landing on a Saturday morning), how long can I expect the wait time to be, on average? If I booked a domestic outbound flight for 1-1.5 hrs after schedule arrival could I make it back thru in time?
Do you have GE?
Are you traveling on a US passport?
If not, do you have a green card?

If any of these conditions apply you should be fine, as long as your flight arrives on time.

If you’re traveling on another passport, it could tight, particularly if you don’t have TSA pre or Clear.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Other considerations would be, whether you have checked bags, and whether there is a later domestic flight if needed.

Also, it is advisable just to post questions in one FlyerTalk forum.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Mobile passport will help. Usually it is very quick, almost as quick as GE in the few times I've been able to compare.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Mobile passport will help. Usually it is very quick, almost as quick as GE in the few times I've been able to compare.
I have seen it be faster, in fact. By dumb luck, I have gone through it when faster.

And as a result, I've considered hedging my bets by using mobile passport while taxiing and then choosing whichever looks better when I walk up. But so far the potential reward has only been about a minute, so I haven't decided to do that.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
We'd need a little more info to know for sure regarding your connection time. That said, if you have Global Entry you could be fine. I often connect from TPE-SFO to an onward UA flight with less than 2 hours connection time, and sometimes pushing only 1 hour. It's been close a couple of times, but I've always made it. I do have GE.
No Global entry. Will be flying with my family of 5 (3 kids). All US Passports. Looking at connecting onward with southwest on an 8:30 flight out. Meaning id need to be thru immigration and back thru security fairly fast

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 2019 at 11:39 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No Global entry. Will be flying with my family of 5 (3 kids). All US Passports. Looking at connecting onward with southwest on an 8:30 flight out. Meaning id need to be thru immigration and back thru security fairly fast
Flying southwest means you are on separate tickets. Any check bags? Even without checked bags, 90 mins, no GE, with kids, separate tickets, .... you will occasionally make this but I would not give it better than a 50% chance
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I could not stand the stress of that. SFO is a disgrace these days. A technological wilderness. We have a ton of US folks from the Bay Area in the UK at the moment and they could not be more glowing about being able to use the e-passport gates now and, their words "I can get into your country much faster than my own" and bemoaning the fact that they have to go through SFO and that it is getting worse.

I have GE and even with that, possible delays, switching terminals, I just would not gamble on it. If it works great, but I think it is too much of a gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.