Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN fare as 1K international flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nomad420
What blows me away with the OP's comment is the apparent lack of knowledge by essentially all three agents he spoke to. I don't even work for UA, or for that matter any airline, I have a better understanding of what the fare rules are in this situation. Wow!
Isn't agent 3 correct though?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What blows me away with the OP's comment is the apparent lack of knowledge by essentially all three agents he spoke to. I don't even work for UA, or for that matter any airline, I have a better understanding of what the fare rules are in this situation. Wow!
I don’t think it’s surprising. I think higher-status frequent flyers tend to be very aware of the their benefits (and the intricacies of utilizing them).
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

I’ve run into this in the past as well and I could never understand how some agents who deal with hundreds of calls/people per day for years can be so uninformed when dealing with basic requests that have been allowed for years.

A few months back I ran into an issue where one of my award reservations didn’t show as CPU eligible even though I have a UA CC. I had to HUCA 3 separate times because each of the first 2 agents were adamant that award tickets were not eligible for CPU’s under any circumstances.

Even after explaining that it is a stated benefit and that I am always added to the list the second agent basically accused me of either lying or extremely confused and put a bunch of nasty notes in my PNR which eventually backfired when agent #3 was well aware of the policy and said she would escalate the situation for re-training of the previous agent
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Starr
Then on a non CPU available leg, ie international, what is PN fare listed for for? ie PN3.....Is it GS only?
Just because it is international doesn’t mean it isn’t eligible for CPU’s. There are many non-Polaris international flights to Central America and the Caribbean that are most definitely eligible for CPU’s, so I suspect this might be where some of the confusion came in.

Surprisingly, there are more than a few ticket/phone/gate agents out there who are not even aware of this and insist that anything international doesn’t qualify.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sorry yeah, in this situation since the OP's flight is a non CPU eligible flight. I apologize to agent 3 in advance.... :-)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yes, and agent 1 is correct if addressing s non GS

Agent 2 was probably making generalizations

But, the crux of your question has been answered, as a 1K, your instruments us the PZ code for clearing. GS use PN on non CPU eligible flights
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:33 pm

Re:agent knowledge, I’d bet less than 2% of calls deal with such detailed / specific issues. I would bet most calls are very very basic.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I figure I usually know quite a bit more about the details of the Mileage Plus program and how it works in practice than any agent I'm speaking with. That said, an agent who's getting routed 1K calls ought to know the difference between PZ and PN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.