Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN fare as 1K international flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
What does PN availability really mean on an Intl flight?

So I get that PN availability means instant upgrades on Y/B/M fares when on a CPU eligible fare.

But what does it mean on an international fare?

I just booked a fare to SYD with PN avail and did the M class (as a 1K) and you guessed it, nothing happened.*

What's interesting, is that earlier today, my GS friend tried searching on it and it showed him as upgradable with a GPU.

Would his GPUs work on my reservation? even at W fare?

*UA shows $639 upgrade price on both going and coming - but when you click it, it totals $3,200. Must be some glitch on the site.

So is PN avail only for GS? Or for GS certs on anyone's ticket?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doug_999
Would his GPUs work on my reservation? even at W fare?
Yes. PN is GS upgrade class. Your friend can apply his GPUs to your itinerary.

There are no complimentary (CPU or Y/B/M) upgrades on long-haul flights.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yes, A GS GPU books into PN and yes, his GPU will work on your reservation and confirm immediately.

The $639 (+mileage, I'm assuming) books into R, just like a 1k's GPU and in this case, will be waitlisted.

No instant upgrades are available for int'l longhaul.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes, A GS GPU books into PN and yes, his GPU will work on your reservation and confirm immediately.

The $639 (+mileage, I'm assuming) books into R, just like a 1k's GPU and in this case, will be waitlisted.

No instant upgrades are available for int'l longhaul.
No -- if it were the mileage upgrade, it would be $600, not $639. $639 sounds like a buy-up price. UA will honor it if you call web support. However, it may not be some incredible deal -- it may just be the fare difference from M to P or Z. M is typically a very expensive fare.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Here is the story... on the M fare class, it is indeed offering me $639 buy up each way. But as noted, if you select both, it suddenly goes to $3,209? I could do each one, one at a time, but that still ends up over $5K.

Now it gets interesting...
So my friend went to use his GPUs on my W reservation t his morning. Get this - shows 3 seats available, but when he clicks on the GPU and hits next, it says wait list only. I might have him call later and see what the GS agent says.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by doug_999
Thanks everyone

Here is the story... on the M fare class, it is indeed offering me $639 buy up each way. But as noted, if you select both, it suddenly goes to $3,209? I could do each one, one at a time, but that still ends up over $5K.

Now it gets interesting...
So my friend went to use his GPUs on my W reservation t his morning. Get this - shows 3 seats available, but when he clicks on the GPU and hits next, it says wait list only. I might have him call later and see what the GS agent says.
don't go by the seat chart. If PN is still showing vailable, have your GS friend call in to have the upgrade cleared.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

All
I rebooked the ticket and had my GS friend call and you were correct, I am cleared for the upgrade. Just can't do it on-line.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:29 pm

PN fare as 1K international flight

I have called UAL three times and have been given three different answers to the same questions. The questions: As a 1K booking a M fare on an international flight can i get an instant upgrade if there are PN fares. I did search here and also found conflicting answers.

Agent 1: No, pn fares are not for international flights, no idea why you are seeing them - this answer I know is wrong.
Agent 2: Yes, as a 1K you can use GPU and it will clear if you book B,M fare
Agent 3: No, PN are only for GS flyers and 1K will not clear.

I would like to know: With an M fare, will:
A GPU clear if pn inventory is available?
Will an MPU (miles and money) clear with an M fare if PN is available?

Goal is get confirmed upgrade, I do knowledge of the pecking order on non-confirmed upgrades

Thanks

matt
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:36 pm

The primary factor is whether or not the flight is CPU eligible. If it’s a CPU eligible flight (domestic or international) any premier member is able to confirm into PN instantly on a Y or B fare, and M fare if 1K or GS.

If it’s a non CPU route (long haul domestic or international) instant upgrades are not available and a 1K GPU will need to clear into PZ. With an M fare, you would clear before any other 1K’s on lower fares.
wxguy and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt Starr
I would like to know: With an M fare, will:
A GPU clear if pn inventory is available?
Will an MPU (miles and money) clear with an M fare if PN is available?
No. You need PZ inventory for all 1K instrument upgrades.

You can get confirmed into PN as an instant upgrade, but only on CPU-eligible flights. 1Ks cannot get into PN on longhaul flights.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Note also that on a CPU eligible flight, only 1K and GS instant upgrades clear into PN. Other elite levels clear into PZ.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:54 pm

Then on a non CPU available leg, ie international, what is PN fare listed for for? ie PN3.....Is it GS only?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Then on a non CPU available leg, ie international, what is PN fare listed for for? ie PN3.....Is it GS only?
yes. A buy-up could also book into PN (though ZN would be more likely).

Also. PN is not a fare, it’s a booking class.
Air Houston likes this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
What blows me away with the OP's comment is the apparent lack of knowledge by essentially all three agents he spoke to. I don't even work for UA, or for that matter any airline, I have a better understanding of what the fare rules are in this situation. Wow!
drewguy and chavala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.