Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, restarted for new 1Ks?

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery

Thread archive:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Funny situation caused by my 1K handle yesterday. While waiting for my DL SDQ-ATL flight to board the GA started looking at me and finally walked up to me and asked for my BP. I asked if there was an issue and the GA replied that he saw my 1K handle and assumed I was on the UA flight that was pushing back.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Funny situation caused by my 1K handle yesterday. While waiting for my DL SDQ-ATL flight to board the GA started looking at me and finally walked up to me and asked for my BP. I asked if there was an issue and the GA replied that he saw my 1K handle and assumed I was on the UA flight that was pushing back.
Very nice GA! ^ I would have thanked her/him for being so thoughtful.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Hi, so this is a long shot, but would anyone be willing to request or already has an extra that they aren't using and mail it to me? I saw some offers earlier in the thread but wasn't sure if they were jokes or serious. I don't fly nearly enough to attain 1k, but enough to appreciate the time saved waiting for gate checked bags on UX.

If there are no takers, no problem and thanks for taking the time to read this
It has been posted that they are listed on ebay, I don't know if it is "legal" to sell them but obviously some people are. Quite honestly I see almost zero use for them as I rarely gate check and only use them on my checked bags for whatever good that does.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Received today in response to my note to 1Kvoice requesting a yellow handle wrap (newly requalified as 1K following several years as Plat). Has anyone had a different experience recently?

Dear Mr. tarheelnj:

We're always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

I am sorry, we are unable to request replacement handle wraps until after February 13, 2018.

Thanks for your loyalty and flying United.

Regards,
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have never requested the yellow handle as my carryon fits so no need to gate check on my flights. However, last week I had the first experience of my carryon not fitting in the overheard and I was seated in 1A so could not put it under the seat. DEN-DSM and it took an absolute age for the bags to arrive. My checked luggage was already waiting for me at the belt.

Am going to request this handle for future flights to ensure that does not happen again.

(Interestingly enough the replacement plane on the flight would have fitted my carryon but they would not bring the bags back.)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Am going to request this handle for future flights to ensure that does not happen again.
If you read back up the thread, you'll find this may not help. For one thing, if you land at a gate without a jet bridge -- or, at certain jet bridges in cold climes that have the built-in elevator -- all of the bags get delivered at once on a cart. For another, even when the bags are loaded via the conveyor to the front of the jet bridge, I'm not at all sure that the yellow-handled ones come off first.

Apparently, UA felt that the yellow handles would help people identify their bags more easily, and that's supposed to be the main benefit.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you read back up the thread, you'll find this may not help. For one thing, if you land at a gate without a jet bridge -- or, at certain jet bridges in cold climes that have the built-in elevator -- all of the bags get delivered at once on a cart. For another, even when the bags are loaded via the conveyor to the front of the jet bridge, I'm not at all sure that the yellow-handled ones come off first.

Apparently, UA felt that the yellow handles would help people identify their bags more easily, and that's supposed to be the main benefit.
Well in that case I will not waste my time requesting. My carryon is red, unlike the majority of the black carryons so I have no trouble identifying mine. It was just one of the last to be delivered.

So I wonder how all the 1K/GS folks work out which black carryon with the yellow handle is theirs?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

+1
I now place them on the handles of some of my cargo containers that I occasionally fly with hoping that they at least get a little special attention. Basically I don't use them as they were initially intended to be used. I never really saw much benefit. But apparently some people do as they apparently sell and even steal them now.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well in that case I will not waste my time requesting.
Request it! For locations where it's not a group bag situation, at EWR Term A mostly for me, mine comes out first 70%+ of the time. Even in the group bag situation, a staff member will often valet the bag first. It's awesome (when it happens).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
I now place them on the handles of some of my cargo containers that I occasionally fly with hoping that they at least get a little special attention. Basically I don't use them as they were initially intended to be used. I never really saw much benefit. But apparently some people do as they apparently sell and even steal them now.
Has anyone else gotten the same note I did (above) about no availability until February 13, 2018? If that's the case, I wonder if they just ran out and are having more made or if they're planning to change the color to deal with all those ex-1K's that are still using theirs.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: None anymore

Actually I've had a baggage handler (and twice a gate agent) physically bring me my bag while on the jetway while they were still unloading bags. For jetbridge experiences, my yellow tagged bag has always come out first. At least in the past ~12-18 months.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
80% of the time, my yellow handled bag (well worn yellow handle at that) comes out first. Often, baggage handler hand carries it to me before pulling up the cart with the other bags. It's a nice perk.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Actually I've had a baggage handler (and twice a gate agent) physically bring me my bag while on the jetway while they were still unloading bags. For jetbridge experiences, my yellow tagged bag has always come out first. At least in the past ~12-18 months.
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
80% of the time, my yellow handled bag (well worn yellow handle at that) comes out first. Often, baggage handler hand carries it to me before pulling up the cart with the other bags. It's a nice perk.
That's great to hear; perhaps they've improved the service from when it first started. It doesn't really match my observations, but then I've never paid that close attention. I don't care for the look of the wrap and have never written in to request it. My guess would be that, like priority baggage, it's largely dependent upon which stations you frequent.

Anyway, I mostly wrote because the OP expressed a desire "to ensure that does not happen again," and I thought it might be best to try to temper expectations a bit. :-)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by seanp7
Request it! For locations where it's not a group bag situation, at EWR Term A mostly for me, mine comes out first 70%+ of the time. Even in the group bag situation, a staff member will often valet the bag first. It's awesome (when it happens).
I had it happen at EWR Term A also. We were all waiting outside for the green tagged bags and I was getting really annoyed because I really needed to use the bathroom; all of a sudden, a guy walked over with two rollaboards, each with a yellow UA handle. One was mine. I was so relieved and really happy that I'd put it on my bag. I have no idea how much longer everyone else had to wait as I raced off to the bathroom.

The next time I tried using it was at SFO and my bag was returned last at SMF sans yellow handle. I was really annoyed about it and complained to 1K Voice who sent me a new one.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
That's great to hear; perhaps they've improved the service from when it first started. It doesn't really match my observations, but then I've never paid that close attention. I don't care for the look of the wrap and have never written in to request it. My guess would be that, like priority baggage, it's largely dependent upon which stations you frequent.

Anyway, I mostly wrote because the OP expressed a desire "to ensure that does not happen again," and I thought it might be best to try to temper expectations a bit. :-)
It sounds like there are two different experiences being described. One is retrieving bags at the jetbridge or tarmac, where the yellow handle wrap is supposed to and often/occasionally does make a difference. The other is retrieving a bag a the carousel inside the terminal, outside security, where the handle wrap rarely makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.