Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA changes for Australia - seasonal reductions IAH/LAX, adding SFO-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Man this blows. I booked a flight from DCA-IAH-SYD (round trip), and now they have me going DCA-IAH-LAX-SYD. And no notice whatsoever; I’d have never known if it were not for this thread. I’d rather change days than add another leg. Or why wouldn’t they just send me straight from DCA to LAX? They picked the worst possible option. tls
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 2Travelers2go
When would they normally advise booked passengers of such a change?
Unless the pax proactively seeks it out, they will find out their reaccommodation at checkin.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Man this blows. I booked a flight from DCA-IAH-SYD (round trip), and now they have me going DCA-IAH-LAX-SYD. And no notice whatsoever; I’d have never known if it were not for this thread. I’d rather change days than add another leg. Or why wouldn’t they just send me straight from DCA to LAX? They picked the worst possible option. tls
I'm sure if you ask they will reroute you IAD-SFO/LAX-SYD or change days to the nearest DCA-IAH-SYD. They can't reroute you DCA-LAX-SYD because UA does not fly DCA-LAX.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
I never got a confirmation email notifying be the changes, at least i haven't checked all my filters. At any rate, I was disappointed to see my SYD-IAH flight was switched to SYD-SFO. Fortunately, I was able to tweet with united and they allowed me to rebook my return for the next day (13th sept) so i could still fly SYD-IAH route.

My outbound flight did, however, take a major hit as they changed the equipment to a 737-900. So, it looks like i might not even make it to Australia to do the return flight i fight so hard to get.

Flight
onthesam, drewguy, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
I'm sure if you ask they will reroute you IAD-SFO/LAX-SYD or change days to the nearest DCA-IAH-SYD. They can't reroute you DCA-LAX-SYD because UA does not fly DCA-LAX.
They do fly DCA-SFO though, so DCA-SFO-SYD would be another option.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Thanks a bunch to both findark and docbert. If I call them will they charge me? I probably will contact them. Leaving from IAD would work, as would going through SFO. tls
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dereiziger
My outbound flight did, however, take a major hit as they changed the equipment to a 737-900. So, it looks like i might not even make it to Australia to do the return flight i fight so hard to get.
Nah, you'll make it fine. Just needs a fuel stop in Hawaii, and then another in Fiji!

(As much as I'm joking, they probably could actually do it. HNL-NAN is 3,162 miles which is well within the range for a 737-900, although it would likely be weight limited to get that far)
drewguy and mikeyf like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Thanks a bunch to both findark and docbert. If I call them will they charge me? I probably will contact them. Leaving from IAD would work, as would going through SFO. tls
Changes fees and fare increased (for the same cabin) are waived in these cases (for UA operated flights)

Best to have a preferred option in mind (and check the availability seating, that may casue you to select one option over another).
thelostshark and writerguyfl like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by DELee

No notification e-mails in my inboxes. No notification change on the app. No notification change posted to the reservation page itself - just that now we were on a connection each way.
David
I received an email time stamped 8.00pm today (Chicago time) Saturday Feb 09 re-routing me LAX-SFO-SYD on a Wednesday.

I held my preferred seat on the trans-oceanic flight - should I be happy with that ?

I am not too happy with a 7.15pm departure out of LAX to SFO instead of the non-stop at 10.45pm.

Is there a possibility of United Airlines introducing a LAX-BNE flight or beating Qantas to the punch who want to fly non-stop SYD-ORD (once announced but withdrawn before it started over decade ago) or the holy grail (for QF) SYD-NYC non-stop ?

Last edited by Aspen; Feb 9, 2019 at 8:49 pm Reason: wild speculation added
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by cfischer
I am definitely glad I booked for Mrs. cfischer 2 months ago when IN was plentiful ... that has dried up substantially now!
@cfischer--good move! I was looking at that for IAH/SYD a couple of weeks ago for Mrs. BeanTownBoy and the inventory was bounteous, but when I checked today it was completely gone... and for the foreseeable future!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This seems to make sense. I was tracking the actual passenger loads on all of the Australia routes over last summer / fall (US summer and fall) and many of the flights went out with empty seats in J and a half empty Y cabin. I do question the late October restoration of daily Sydney service. Last year, flights were beginning to fill up by the end of September. I would think at least going 5X weekly to/from both locations by the middle of September would better match the gradual seasonal increase in ridership.

I also wonder if they're expecting the SFO-MEL flight to cannibalize existing SYD service. Either way, since IAH-SYD was 5X weekly last summer, the net loss of total AU service is only 2 RTs per week.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1k
This worked out in my favor actually. I'd booked SFO-IAH-SYD on a Thursday (with a 40min layover in IAH) as IAH-SYD had much more PZ space, they first had rebooked me via LAX and then I called up and they opened space in PZ for me on the non-stop. Net-net pretty happy, though I was sort of curious to try out the 17hr flight, I like these long flights to catch up on my reading without people disturbing me
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I also wonder if they're expecting the SFO-MEL flight to cannibalize existing SYD service. Either way, since IAH-SYD was 5X weekly last summer, the net loss of total AU service is only 2 RTs per week.
I think UA will keep daily SFO-SYD/MEL as a priority.

UA has a lot of corporate contracts ex-SFO. I get the impression LAX is more a leisure market for Australian travel.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyGreg
I think UA will keep daily SFO-SYD/MEL as a priority.

UA has a lot of corporate contracts ex-SFO. I get the impression LAX is more a leisure market for Australian travel.
SFO-MEL is starting out only as 3x weekly. Perhaps they'll increase it to daily down the road. I agree that SFO-SYD ever getting dowgauged is extremely unlikely.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:24 am

We had flights LAX-SYD-PER and back, with guaranteed upgrades to business, on a Monday and Wednesday. We are now routed through SFO. We could change to Tuesday/Thursday; current inventory shows upgrades available as well. Is there any reason not to make this change? Do I have to call United?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.