Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhanced customer service commitment including free DirecTV on all DTV A/C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Billygreg
Don't need free DirectTV, just fix the Internet access please and that will be a "change I like". At least 50% of my flights now can't connect to the internet and that is what I want. The PDE almost always works and I can get on the United app to see the flight map and gate arrival or connections. But I need to be online to stay up with email etc and the complete crapshoot it is now (and I won't mention the ridiculous pricing) is beyond frustrating. PLEASE FIX THE INTERNET. Thank you.
This.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The United announcement came across my FB newsfeed this morning, and then on LinkedIn I saw a quote by Richard Branson that I think is very relevant to all service industries.

Look after your employees well and they will look after your customers.

I was asking my students in a Managerial Accounting class about companies that have done well in a disruptive business environment and those that have failed. Think Block Buster and Net Flix, taxis and Uber, and then we talked about the importance of the customer - easier to keep an existing customer than find a new one. They then highlighted the difference of their travel experience with SouthWest vs United/American/Delta. United has been impacted by LCC and they chose to go down the LCC path. Wonder what would happen if United were to empower their employees and make them feel supported and appreciated? I know there are pilots and supervisors that attempt to do this but do not think it is embedded in the United culture. Think there would be a greater bang for the buck if the management team at United appreciated and listened to the customer facing staff - am sure they would say provide a little more shoulder room in the Y seats, make Direct TV available to everyone, reward us for OTA not OTD....they work with the pax and know and hear us but they are unable to effect change as they are not valued by management. Something to be said for the Toyota philosophy of listening to the employees who actually do the work. Something to be said for valuing your employees as valued employees will make the customer experience all the better. Companies that provide differentiation can command a higher premium.
All valuable points, but with the cyclical pressures/reactions of the major airlines, UA's been there and done that.

Many of us were optimistic in about 2007, when UA hired the chief customer services executive of Disney to implement a lot of improvements which were ingrained in great customer companies such as WN and Nordstrom. It didn't take and IIRC, the Disney executive's tenure was brief. So now we're in the cycle of "you want low cost ticket choices, here, have it, and the slimline seats, limited service, and slimmer restrooms that go with it."
1kEA likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp12687
...They still fly a ton of "dark" 737 planes with no IFE...
Are you referring to United? I guess I haven’t been on a UA mainline plane recently that doesn’t have (at minimum) PDE.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
DirectTV which never seems to be showing anything I would want to watch.
its live TV - don't blame directv for crap programming. DirecTV has over 1.5 million subscribers.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
I'd be far more impressed if they took out a few rows of seats to make the economy experience humane. It's disgusting how they (and others) cram in the seats now.
pay for economy plus - if you monitor upgrading to this the price fluctuates and isn't too bad.

99% of people want to pay the lowest fare, period. They offer that and economy plus and first class too.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:25 pm

Everyone has champagne taste on a beer budget. Until that changes, the (low) level of service we see is here to stay.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just got an email update on entertainment options for tomorrow's flights. Direct TV is advertised on one of them, but no update to the pricing has been made. It still shows as $5.99 for Y pax.

One hand doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to United's communications team.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Isn't there a switch at the FA control panel for free DirecTV? If this depends on all of them getting the memo and setting accordingly...
Xyzzy and onthesam like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by transportprof
One hand doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to United's communications team.
Maybe give United more than a few hours to update the copy on a pretty low-priority automated e-mail?
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There are now two ways every United employee earns bonuses: 1) beating our competitors with the best on-time departure performance and...
Useless metric, it just means rushing to close the door and pull the jetway. WAY too many times I've seen them do that only to sit at the gate for an hour longer. This bonus needs to be tuned to overall on time performance, just just closing the door. At least with the door open until pushback was imminent, people could get up and leave on a long delay if rebooking options were available. I can think of several times in the last few years that I ended up missing an international connection because of this, being held captive on an "on-time departure" because they closed the door with a known delay. I would have happily gotten off the plane on at least 2 of those since I knew the connection was blown with the onboard announced delay timing.
twomonger likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
All DTV airplanes already have PDE.
If/When it works.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The announcement says 100 channels for free, but doesn't mention the movies. Are they free as well? In either case, is UA doing this because it's cheaper than installing PDE on the DTV planes? I just wish the DTV screens were set to off, and you had to activate them if you wanted to watch. So many passengers just leave the scrolling commercials and movie previews on the whole flight, not realizing you can turn the screen off.

Actually, I've been advised by my contacts inside UA that the credit card swipers in these seatback TV's are long past their useful life, and have become a maintenance nightmare.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh
I'd rather go for more shoulder room
They already offer this amenity. It's called Business Class.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I should imagine only a subset of their customers want to watch television throughout their flights - and particularly not DirectTV which never seems to be showing anything I would want to watch.
Actually as we have repeatedly told on this board there is no need for in seat IFE (which Delta has gone with and AA went with, then stopped when the former partner in crime of the current effective head of the UA management team took them over) and it was not something people wanted, and there was no competitive edge in having it. Steaming was just hunky Dorrie.

While given that UA is going to have to pay Direct TV to make it free, someone decided that UA needed this competitively. When its free (First) it gets heavily used, but people don't want to pay for it. My strong guess is that this is an effort to fix a competitive disammenity that a lot of us pointed out a long while ago. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

Last edited by spin88; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Free DTV and bonuses for customer service sounds good. Will UA follow through fully?
Finally why United wanted to be the last to offer free entertainment. I mean how long does it take to catcup with Delta Studio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.