Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

use miles+copay to upgrade my Dad's flight without telling him.. so he sat in coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

use miles+copay to upgrade my Dad's flight without telling him.. so he sat in coach

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by geometry
...Was it my fault for not telling him?...
Yes, because he could have been watching for it. If it did indeed clear 2 hours before departure, it should have shown on gate area monitor. This was an avoidable mishap.
CIT85 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I monitored the reservation and the upgrade finally cleared about 2 and half hours before the flight. However, I was not able to reach him by phon because his Google Fi phone didn't work.
Did you try to text him?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Did you try to text him?
Google Fi simply did not work..... he did get my voicemail and text after he arrived home.

As of tonigh, my UA miles still has not been credited back. The copay is still showing on my credit card and refund nowhere to be seen yet.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are multiple ways to determine whether an upgrade has cleared, including the old fashioned way: asking the gate agent.
Yes , true, but clearly the system which should have beeped failed - (maybe my frustration with fi was showing
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
Yes , true, but clearly the system which should have beeped failed - (maybe my frustration with fi was showing
Fi is not perfect, but it saves me more than $150 per month because I use it a lot while overseas. No more having to deal with foreign SIM cards and worry about roaming charges. Sometimes it does have problem connecting when I land in a new foreign city, but I can live with that.

Oh... United finally came through. The miles were credited back to my account. The co-pay refund showed up on my credit card this morning. Lesson learned... always tell the other person that I'm buying them an upgrade with my miles and money.
jsloan, BThumme, windhund and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really glad it worked out! It is still kind of odd that the J FAs did not realize someone was missing.

I was on a domestic short flight once. The guy next to me was upgraded last minute (pulled up from Y). I talked to him the whole flight. When we talked about frequent flyer programs, he said he credits to EVA's program. Then we realized that the GA had given the upgrade to the wrong person
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
Really glad it worked out! It is still kind of odd that the J FAs did not realize someone was missing.

I was on a domestic short flight once. The guy next to me was upgraded last minute (pulled up from Y). I talked to him the whole flight. When we talked about frequent flyer programs, he said he credits to EVA's program. Then we realized that the GA had given the upgrade to the wrong person

I used my foreign credit card. The exchange rate went up a little in my favor and my refund was about $7 more than what UA originall charged me.

You mentioned EVA.. I have a co-worker who credits all his Star Alliance travels to EVA. He has Star Gold via EVA. For some strange reason, United always allowed him to pick E+ seats.(for domestic US tickets purchased from UA website) He couldn't do it online, but if he called UA and told them that he was Star Gold, they allowed him to change to E+ seats.... pretty sure that's not UA's policy? Or am I wrong?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You mentioned EVA.. I have a co-worker who credits all his Star Alliance travels to EVA. He has Star Gold via EVA. For some strange reason, United always allowed him to pick E+ seats.(for domestic US tickets purchased from UA website) He couldn't do it online, but if he called UA and told them that he was Star Gold, they allowed him to change to E+ seats.... pretty sure that's not UA's policy? Or am I wrong?
Policy is no. There are plenty of reports of gate agents giving E+ to *G if asked and if there are any available. Getting it in advance by calling surprises me, but at the end of the day the agents can physically do it, so if they are in a good mood then anything is possible...
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Did u ever get the refund
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:00 am

Talking

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Did u ever get the refund
See posts #35 and #37 !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.