Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

777 (all variants) seat map was missing, now back & seat assignments lost!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777 (all variants) seat map was missing, now back & seat assignments lost!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:40 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi All,

We worked to resolve the issue with the 777-200 seat maps and place customers back in their original seats. While most were able to be resolved, there are still some customers who may still need their seat assignments updated. We are currently working diligently to get those customers their original or comparable seat assignments, and encourage those who do not see their seat assignment to visit united.com or use the mobile app to select their seat. We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers who may be affected.

- UA Insider
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:03 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Yup, lost two GlobalFirst seats. Called the 1K rep who said "Well there are people sitting in them now, there's nothing I can do. You know seat assignments aren't guaranteed (of which I'm aware)" No apology, no explanation, just the mea culpa. How friendly of him.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:24 pm

I have two 772 flights coming up in April. On one of them, the seat assignments are fine - I don't know if it was ever affected by this issue. On the other, the seat map was wide open when I checked, and I got our original seats, thankfully. However, it looks like no one else on that flight, save for a few passengers in Y, have their seat assignments (even in J). So if you have any 772 flight, please check! I wish I didn't have to watch these like a hawk, though. However, after my previous experience, I feel inclined to (details below).

Originally Posted by CO DCA
Yup, lost two GlobalFirst seats. Called the 1K rep who said "Well there are people sitting in them now, there's nothing I can do. You know seat assignments aren't guaranteed (of which I'm aware)" No apology, no explanation, just the mea culpa. How friendly of him.
I've gotten that before as well. It's frustrating - I understand where UA is coming from, and I'm sure I'd be unhappy if I was bumped from my seat because someone else had it first - how could I have known when I picked that flight and seat? The better solution is to address issues that causes assignments to get changed, but I know that's likely not an easy problem to get addressed soon.

In fact, on a trip last year, booked 6+ months out, we had two seat assignment changes without explanation a month or so before travel. I wrote in about them, got a similar response as you did. (Pretty sternly worded as well, which I felt was unnecessary.) It was especially frustrating since this was a family trip, and there were four of us.

Thankfully, on one of them, the original seat opened back up, and I switched that person back. On the other flight, though, we never got it back, nor did we figure out how or why the switch happened. The person who ended up in that seat was someone who was separated from the rest of his family several rows back. Go figure.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CO DCA
Keep checking as many times business passengers don't take their flights if their company needs them somewhere else. More difficult it the two seats were in the same plane for two passengers and you don't want one in former First Class and the other in the Business section.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
My 1K in GF turned into 1L on the new polaris frame, so my flight's wonkiness was related to a frame swap. This will be my first time in the new Polaris hard product, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I do like the rear-facing seats, we'll see if I miss riding the wrong way this flight.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by big V
My 1K in GF turned into 1L on the new polaris frame, so my flight's wonkiness was related to a frame swap. This will be my first time in the new Polaris hard product, it will be interesting to see how it goes. I do like the rear-facing seats, we'll see if I miss riding the wrong way this flight.
You were going to miss riding the wrong way anyway in the 1K seat. I do hope that my two flights don't get switched as maybe it will be my last opportunity for the big seats.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Keep checking as many times business passengers don't take their flights if their company needs them somewhere else. More difficult it the two seats were in the same plane for two passengers and you don't want one in former First Class and the other in the Business section.
The block is still there on 1A also -- if you are not on a flight that requires the augmented crew it will release and then it's fair game for anyone.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The block is still there on 1A also -- if you are not on a flight that requires the augmented crew it will release and then it's fair game for anyone.
Would anyone happen to know if NRT-HNL is a flight that requires augmented crew? That flight is never more than 8 hours (once it was only 5 and a half, which was amazing, but caused me to be zombified for the whole day ).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I just received the following text from UA:

“Your seat assignment to Hong Kong has changed on Flight UA869 due to an aircraft swap. We've done our best to keep your original seating preferences and are sorry for the inconvenience.”

Except there was was no equipment swap. Still the same plane. The seat I had chosen was still open. So much for them doing our best to keep my original seating preference. My preferred seat was still there.

I wonder if it happens when they are sure the plane doesn’t have the Premium Plus seats. Still how does that affect my business class seat? I’d better watch the return flight like a hawk.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (in challenge mode), AA EP
So we really don't all expect to be flying in 1K, right? There still seem to be many flights (2/4 IAD-SFO, for example) that are showing a map for decommissioned aircraft. Otherwise, there will be a lot of us fighting over a single seat! And I am pretty good about boarding first, just sayin'
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
After the seat maps came back, I was able to select 6B on a non-Polaris pmUA 772, whereas it was blocked before. Is there a chance that I could get kicked out of this seat at check-in or have they changed the crew rest situation?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
After the seat maps came back, I was able to select 6B on a non-Polaris pmUA 772, whereas it was blocked before. Is there a chance that I could get kicked out of this seat at check-in or have they changed the crew rest situation?
The crew rest block has been moved to 1A.
blahmeh14 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
was checking my reservation today and it would not let me view the seat app. (TPAC flight in two weeks, 777-300ER) I tried different computers and/or browser... all said the same thing "We are current unable to load the seat map"

Strangely, if I start a dummy reservation and select view seats, I can see the seat map just fine. it's no different than that seat map I saw before. (2-4-2 Premium Economy seats but marked ast E+ 19/20/21 2-4-2 on this 777-300ER)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, in connection with losing my seat, I received the following:

Over the weekend, we had a minor glitch with the seat map of a few of our B777-200 planes, and as a result, the seat assignment you originally chose for your upcoming flight was temporarily removed from our system.Regrettably, we weren’t able to restore your original seat, so we’ve assigned you a new seat that you can find on the United app or on united.com. We’re sorry for this error on our part. We know that your seat assignment is an important part of your travel experience with us, so we’ve added a few extra miles to your MileagePlus account.Thank you for your patience.
Seems fair to me at the end of the day. I lost the window I had taken, but even an aisle on the 772 beats the 737 I normally take this flight on. Actually pretty fast recovery by the speeds of a large corporation; I probably wouldn't have noticed the seat mess if I weren't active on FT.

And if all goes well I can still snag 1A
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: MileagePlus AAdvantage Mileage Plan
This morning my check of the seats showed 20D on both outbound and inbound SFO-LHR-SFO
checked at 11pm showed outbound seat moved to 32D.
so I moved it back to 20D (which was still open) aircraft looks to be configured for the new premium-plus seating.
we will see how it looks again in the morning. just gotta whatchitlikeahawk.........
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.