PZ not strictly greater than IN/I?

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 544
PZ not strictly greater than IN/I?

I've noticed this on a few flights that I've spot-checked: PN>0, PZ=0, PN>IN/I>0

Has anyone else seen this? I had always expected that PZ would open before IN/I, so I was surprised to see it in a few cases (as an example, I saw it on today's UA179 EWR-HKG before it departed). I'd be somewhat disappointed if this is the fix to upgrades not clearing automatically when someone is wait listed but inventory opens up.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 5:19 pm Reason: title change per OP request
aindfan is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:56 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,588
I'm not sure what could lead you to assume this. I'm not aware of any public statements by United on the matter, and that was certainly not the observed behavior for R previously.
mduell is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:03 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 544
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm not sure what could lead you to assume this. I'm not aware of any public statements by United on the matter, and that was certainly not the observed behavior for R previously.
Ah, got it. It was my small, (obviously) statistically insignificant observations over a few years that had led me to this assumption; I had never seen this until today. Thanks for clarifying!
aindfan is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:13 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,886
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm not sure what could lead you to assume this. I'm not aware of any public statements by United on the matter, and that was certainly not the observed behavior for R previously.
I disagree. R >= IN, more-or-less always. I think I remember seeing maybe one example a year where IN/I would open and R would not. I'd expect that PZ >= IN, even though I agree that UA hasn't publicly stated that it will be the case.
sexykitten7 likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:16 pm
  #5  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,091
Originally Posted by aindfan
I've noticed this on a few flights that I've spot-checked: PN>0, PZ=0, PN>IN/I>0....
I think on the grand scale that has been a useful assumption R/PZ before I/IN but over the years including the last year, I very occasionally see the award space open and not the upgrade space. Far from common but it does occur.

Once (3 years ago) myself and +1 was flying SFO-FRA or the part of the year ehen there are two flights, One had R space I needed for a GPU and one had IN/I space needed for+1's ticket. Neither flight had both. I called in and queried about it, asking what's the chance some R space on one flight or I space on the other flight could be converted so there could be both R & I on one flight. The agent said, hold on, and about 5 minutes later returned and offered both, on our preferred flight. Should have brought a lottery ticket that day -- I doubt that will ever happen again.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:27 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 14,146
I saw three TATL flights PN9 PZ0 IN6 I6 and two PN9 PZ0 IN9 I9. There's probably an inventory glitch somewhere. If it means too much IN space, grab it now!
jsloan and Air Houston like this.
findark is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:29 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,886
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think on the grand scale that has been a useful assumption R/PZ before I/IN but over the years including the last year, I very occasionally see the award space open and not the upgrade space. Far from common but it does occur.
In fact, the ability to turn PZ space into I space is a Global Services benefit, IIRC. UA clearly expects upgrade space to be more widely available than saver award space.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:38 pm
  #8  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,091
Originally Posted by jsloan
In fact, the ability to turn PZ space into I space is a Global Services benefit, IIRC. UA clearly expects upgrade space to be more widely available than saver award space.
Agree but rare anecdote observations of the reverse have occurred.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:19 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 55,987
Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree. R >= IN, more-or-less always. I think I remember seeing maybe one example a year where IN/I would open and R would not. I'd expect that PZ >= IN, even though I agree that UA hasn't publicly stated that it will be the case.
Yes, nearly all the time, and I believe contrary instances (which I've seen from time to time) to be errors.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 57
I checked 5 flights TATL yesterday and they all were PZ9 I9. All those same flights are PZ0 I9 today. I can't use my upgrade instruments now. Lame.
blahmeh14 likes this.
maxt775 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:04 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: UA Gold,1MM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Blue
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by maxt775
I checked 5 flights TATL yesterday and they all were PZ9 I9. All those same flights are PZ0 I9 today. I can't use my upgrade instruments now. Lame.
I noticed this as well. Some of the ones I was looking at are PZ0 and I0 but others are now PZ0 I9.
RRags is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:54 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 55,987
Originally Posted by maxt775
I checked 5 flights TATL yesterday and they all were PZ9 I9. All those same flights are PZ0 I9 today.
Originally Posted by RRags
I noticed this as well. Some of the ones I was looking at are PZ0 and I0 but others are now PZ0 I9.
Suffice it to say the switch from R to PZ has not been seamless. Pretty bad they still haven't got everything straightened out.
Air Houston likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:00 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SFO, ORD, IAD
Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Posts: 348
I noticed the same thing as well today. Happened sometime after 5AM PST and before 12PM PST, so it wasnt during the usual midnight CST daily refresh. One flight went from PZ7 I0 to PZ0 I0. Another flight went from PZ9 I9 to PZ0 I9. Im hoping that the inventory comes back because I have to book my flights by tomorrow. AA will get my business if this hasnt resolved by then...

I called into United and got information from an agent that didnt seem correct at all. She said that all PZ space from now on is only going to be released <96 hours in advance, and that the rollout of the new fare class was to facilitate this policy change. I really hope she was misinformed! Another HUCA call to a different agent was unable to verify the statement of the first agent, but she also said that there was no inventory glitch as far as she could tell. After putting me on hold to talk to revenue management, she confirmed that the reduction in PZ inventory overnight was as expected.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:14 pm
blahmeh14 is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:44 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
After putting me on hold to talk to revenue management, she confirmed that the reduction in PZ inventory overnight was as expected.
Not that we can necessarily trust the phone agents but did he/she give any indication as to why? I too noticed a route I frequently fly and need to book a flight for next week is showing numerous flights I=1/2/3 and PZ=0. Seems like something is indeed messed up, considering these flights were the opposite a few days ago, unless this is indication of some sort of bigger change.
CruiserCLE is offline  
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:46 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 55,987
Does anyone currently see any PZ on any Polaris route? I see nothing, even on "gimmes" like July 4 TPACs to ICN, NRT, KIX.
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
I called into United and got information from an agent that didn’t seem correct at all. She said that all PZ space from now on is only going to be released <96 hours in advance, and that the rollout of the new fare class was to facilitate this policy change. I really hope she was misinformed! Another HUCA call to a different agent was unable to verify the statement of the first agent, but she also said that there was no “inventory glitch” as far as she could tell. After putting me on hold to talk to revenue management, she confirmed that the reduction in PZ inventory overnight was as expected.

Phone agent comments are worthless in this context.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:51 pm
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.