Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Message on UA.com when searching for awards outside USA

updated evening (PST) 27 Feb 2019 to
Award travel on Singapore Airlines is temporarily unavailable. Our airline partner is diligently working with us to address this situation.
previously
Award travel on Singapore Airlines, TAP Air Portugal and THAI is temporarily unavailable through MileagePlus.
— We’re working on making these awards available, and you may still be able to find awards on other partners.
Plus ANA(now restored).
Print Wikipost

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a pointless endeavor. DOT doesn't regulate frequent flyer plans. The best pressure point is social media.
DOT might not regulate the programs, but they do post statistics on DOT complaints each month in the Air Travel Consumer Report, a couple months after the complaints come in. United had 101 DOT complaints in the most recent month of data, behind Delta and American. They do like competing in these metrics.

So in a small small delayed way, there is some impact from complaining to DOT.

All the info I found on https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I was able to get TG segments in J booked through Web Support via the premier line rep. First had to book originating ex US and return open jaw via website, with confirmation #, she was able to book excursionist perk on TG. Original premier desk agent was able to grab not only TG but SQ seats be held, but interestingly could not see LH seat ex US. This is a regional J seats on TG and SQ.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered. I have not looked through the entire thread.

Is UA Web Support generally able to book award seats on SQ/TG for you? Or is mutaco's success story above a one-off?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by evergrn
Is UA Web Support generally able to book award seats on SQ/TG for you? Or is mutaco's success story above a one-off?
They are not supposed to book TG or SQ awards.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I wonder if it is related to the change in booking classes UA recently did with the Premium Economy introduction. In any case, some of the hysteria here seems a little over the top (people with flights in 6 months they want to change....). We really have no idea of the detailed cause, no reason to think that UA is blocking anything they can see and no reason to assume that UA is acting in bad faith. To the best of my knowledge, UA is happy for us to use the miles and get them off the books as long as there is minimal cost in lost revenue. As a former IT person, I can think of a million reasons this could happen - perhaps SQ etc have changed the way they report available award space in a particular system which UA sees, and other airlines use a different GDS.

I am also sympathetic to the complexity of fixing things like this in the complicated mess that is an airline booking system today, with layer after layer of thing on top of legacy systems, communicating as though we were in the days of dialup. (Ever wondered why we see things like Y4? It is because in the dial up days, systems communicated every x hours by dialing up, so they gave each partner 4 seats to sell, and they would "replenish" them next time the 2 different systems communicated by dialup.)

Hopefully it will be fixed fairly soon.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:15 am

They are not supposed to book TG or SQ awards.
Kacee, do you know why they are not "supposed to book TG or SQ awards" ?

I was wondering if there was some reciprocal dispute or other / same technical issue between TG and UA affecting both sides because Thai gave the excuse that the booking was "too long." when I tried to book the connecting flights to and from Houston. In the two months it took me to book the trip on Thai, they gave me a lot of excuses and incorrect statements on several issues for a first class booking, so I was just wondering if there was the same root cause the generates the issues on the THAI side and the UA side?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BF263533
Kacee, do you know why they are not "supposed to book TG or SQ awards"?
UA has blocked the space from united.com and the app, and while web support has the ability to book TG and SQ segments, they are not supposed to do it.

We don't know the real reason. We have UA's explanation, namely that there are "technical problems" on the SQ and TG side. That does not seem credible for a variety of reasons. This does recall the lengthy period when SQ awards were unavailable on the website due to a dispute over reimbursement rates. As you note, there were also quite a few recent reports of problems with TG awards not ticketing properly (though I ticketed two with no issues in early January).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
no reason to assume that UA is acting in bad faith
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I just want to know are they really working on it, or is it gone for good as this message from a “United exec” implies? :

Unfortunately, due to technical issue is not on the United side, and until further notice we are unable to book award travel on TAP Portgual(TP),Thai Airways (TG) and Singapore Airlines (SQ). The United system and the other airline systems are not communicating. Customers have been advised and made aware of the situation and we apologize for the inconvenience. Effective February 6, 2019 we will no longer book award travel on these carriers.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I wonder if it is related to the change in booking classes UA recently did with the Premium Economy introduction.
Pure speculation on my part, but I agree that it's likely related to this. LH has had Premium Economy for a while and is unaffected; UA introduce it and perhaps there's a mismatch between the airlines referenced and UA's systems that's causing awards to show, or not to show, in the correct classes. Could be a coincidence like the vanished PZ inventory too but seems like a lot of mishandling timed closely around the Premium Plus launch...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Yesterday I was able to successfully upgrade a TG flight (TG stock) from B to I using UA miles.

Today I get an error trying to use UA miles or GPU on an NH flight (016 ticket)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Don't expect UA to "fix" this in the near and distant future. It must be some financial benefit to UA and thus it will continue for a long, long, long time. Sorry, but after 35+ years with UA, this looks like another one of their lies.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:03 pm

UA has blocked the space from united.com and the app, and while web support has the ability to book TG and SQ segments, they are not supposed to do it.
If Web Support has the ability to book it, and we are hearing about anecdotes of them helping with these award bookings, then it must be worth calling Web Support. No?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
If Web Support has the ability to book it, and we are hearing about anecdotes of them helping with these award bookings, then it must be worth calling Web Support. No?
Yes it is definitely worth calling web support. There is no such thing as "they are not supposed to".. If you cannot book online, then next thing to do is call web support. UA can see the seats on TG, TP and perhaps even SQ, they have a glitch and they are no hurry to fix. The problem is not with TG or SQ or TP.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Don't expect UA to "fix" this in the near and distant future. It must be some financial benefit to UA and thus it will continue for a long, long, long time. Sorry, but after 35+ years with UA, this looks like another one of their lies.
It IS fixed.

The current situation is a feature, not a bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.