Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
This is a legit question; when you write in to complain about the wifi, what do you say? Do you actually ask for compensation, or just state that it was a giant inconvenience and hope they connect the dots and give you a cert?

I purchase the wifi on most of my flights and I would say it works ok about 75-80 percent of the time.
I never ask for compensation but I explain that its a flight of 2-3 hours where I would like to work using the advertised service. I get an email 24 hours before the flight that tells me there is going to be wifi. I get varying amounts of compensation but my point is I really just want the wifi to be functional and useable.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by Hjh17
I am a lowly leisure traveler only flying one or two times a year. For me- I download a few Netflix movie and remind myself I’m flying ina metal tube st 576mph while enjoying a 8.99 cocktail in economy class. Perspective is everything.
That approach works for me when I am on vacation, and if they didn't advertise that wifi was available it would also work for me when traveling for business, but they make a big deal out of the service being available and then it isn't, that's my beef.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I ask for a refund every time it doesn't work long enough for me to get my work done. I asked 1K Voice if UA execs would take a 3+ hour flight when they needed to get important reports done then they'd see what we face. They replied that the UA execs are the ones .....ing the loudest. I sure would hope so.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: United, Star Alliance
How often complain about WIFI

I would say I have problems with paid wifi on United half the time. However, they promptly refund me the cost of the WIFI. That doesn't make it less of a problem, though, since I have to work on my long flights. Very frustrating.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Every time...

I used to subscribe to GoGo Internet's "all airline" package, but the service got so crappy, I'm now on "pay as you go", and when the connection isn't serviceable, I definitely raise a complaint. I find that they are quick to credit back the charge, which is all I ask for, but they really need to up their game if they're going to make any money at this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by see2xu
I used to subscribe to GoGo Internet's "all airline" package, but the service got so crappy, I'm now on "pay as you go", and when the connection isn't serviceable, I definitely raise a complaint. I find that they are quick to credit back the charge, which is all I ask for, but they really need to up their game if they're going to make any money at this.
I second this. When I was travelling back in 2012 to 2014, I don't recall GoGo seeming that bad. Speeds weren't great, but they weren't that poor either. I traveled only a few times after 2014 up until the beginning of 2018, so nothing sticks out as far as GoGo, but I've been travelling every week in 2018 on Alaska Airlines, and now GoGo is just horrible. I use the free hour via T-Mobile, since my flight is short, but just viewing a basic webpage takes forever, and the few times I have tried to VPN to work servers I wasn't able to connect. Perhaps the version of GoGo that is free for T-Mobile customers is somehow throttled, but both the free and the paid are accessed from the same landing page and both use the same wifi network on the plane, so it doesn't seem like there's any difference between the two. I've pretty much given up on GoGo.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:15 pm

duplicate post, apologies. Didn't realize my first post had gone through.

Last edited by jdclover; Jan 23, 2019 at 5:27 pm Reason: duplicate post
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

Wait, you can complain? I've had a subscription for almost 9 months now and when I complained the first day I got the sub I was told they don't give refunds for the subscription and didn't know there was someone else I could complain to. Who else would I be able to complain to?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Agreed, which is why I was OK paying the $60/month all-airline fee. First, they dropped it, so I settled for DL-only, monthly, but the connection has gotten much less reliable, and, on the older aircraft, the speed leaves much to be desired. I suspect that more people are using it, now, than were five years ago, which probably compromises the speed (it certainly does with wired broadband), and may even get to the limits of how many devices the older equipment can handle.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
United WiFi Speeds - is this normal?

So I’m a relative newbie to flying UA (as I am a DL DM and AA EXP) but on my last couple of international and transcon flights (IAD-PEK, PVG-SFO, PVG-LAX and SFO-EWR), I have been getting horrendous speeds (less than 0.10 Mbps download and 0 Mbps upload) and had times where it just doesn’t work altogether for hours on end. Pretty frustrating experience as on DL and AA, I never seem to have these kind of issues on international flights. I thought maybe the issue was due to flying Polar routes but after flying DTW-PVG (which on the map flew straight north from DTW and looked like it was vía Atlantic almost) and AMS-ATL (flew north of Iceland), didn’t notice any issues. Is this normal on UA?

The only positive out of this is that it truly makes me disconnected when traveling!

Last edited by GYEWorldTraveler; Jan 19, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not unusual. You should not hesitate to request a refund from UA when the wifi is not usable. Otherwise they will have no incentive to fix it.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by see2xu
Agreed, which is why I was OK paying the $60/month all-airline fee. First, they dropped it, so I settled for DL-only, monthly, but the connection has gotten much less reliable, and, on the older aircraft, the speed leaves much to be desired. I suspect that more people are using it, now, than were five years ago, which probably compromises the speed (it certainly does with wired broadband), and may even get to the limits of how many devices the older equipment can handle.
Granted I don't use Alaska's free entertainment, but I've seen people use it and no lags, so the limits would be less on the wifi and more on the air to ground speeds. More people could be using the internet portion I guess, or they think they can use youtube and other high bandwidth sites/apps which hogs the bandwidth from everyone else.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
United is just embarrassingly terrible with their WiFi. How's come PR can provide 100% WiFi coverage from MNL to LAX, no problem, while UA can't. Ever.

Why Oscar?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Lost status this year (1k -> silver). I used to complain sometimes when wifi didn't work and often would get an ETC. If you get on a plane expecting to be able to send 3 hours worth of email / review 3 hours worth of HTML content and then cannot do that, after the promise that you will be able to do that, then it seems like they should reimburse your lost productivity time.

But, since I'm less "important" now (only silver), I wonder if it's even worth complaining about the nonfunctional wifi? I imagine that as silver I'll just get an apology rather than compensation. Thoughts?
Or is the better strategy to buy the wifi subscription and then complain when it doesn't work and eventually have ETC refunds > wifi subscription cost?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Why let them keep your payment for a service you didn't receive? Complain. You'll probably get the payment refunded with no comment.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.