Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Wow, do they have to be specific fare classes?

So the international premium cabin fares are more closer to $10k each than $4k or less that you sometimes get with P fares?
Not sure of all the exact specifics (this is second hand through a friend who's wife works for CRM) but I do know she got gold already this year by flying an ORD <> LGA P fare. I know that because her husband asked me what the cheapest "premium cabin" route out of ORD likely would be and I said that ORD <> LGA in January (before business travel comes back) can be found for $400 RT. They don't travel much as a couple but the bag fees and E+ access for the 4-5 times a year they travel is well worth it for them.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
If you have ever worked with sensitive financial information (such as this) you would have to sign of on these rules. It doesn't matter if it was internal communication, it means that UA failed to take steps to protect 'Protected' information.
Does this hinge upon some kind of corporations-are-people interpretation? Certainly all companies should have internal data handling policies — I don't see this as a non-event — but I'm unaware of any regulatory statute that would be relevant here.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
As someone eluded to earlier, the breaks don’t even make sense. It’s almost as if somone said, “Hey, lets pat ourselves on the back for working with these companies. Make some flashy banner. GO!”
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's a pretty clumsy move by UA... in this day and age, any information shared generally with employees should be considered public knowledge, and assumption should be made that it will be disseminated, regardless of how inane it might be.

This isn't exactly a "WikiLeaks" level of disclosure, but UA has egg on its face, and as so many of us know, going to a major client with a mea culpa is no fun at all...

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
lso, given Apple’s profit warning due to poor revenue from China, that poster may not go down well with the analysts on Wall Street. “Oscar, your biggest corporate client is Apple who are in trouble. How will this affect United’s corporate $150m corporate contract, especially re China?”

It's no secret that UA is heavily exposed to China, but this information can put the Apple softness coupled with the current US-China issues in context for predicting impact on United.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispykrme

So a beginning of the year travel desk doesn’t really enforce the UA policy. But around August time frame- travel desk will force us to suffer UA. During those time period, even though UA fare may look much higher than for example SQ to HKG.
This seems to indicate that Apple spends (much) more on air travel (ex-SFO ....) . Could be that they have a contractual minimum spend of $ 150 million p.a. with UA to meet.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems I was wrong - this info hit the mainstream news and the reporters are positioning it as a "this is why Apple makes you pay $1,200 for a new iPhone" story - definitely not good at all for Apple, but I don't see much blowback for United. I have little to no sympathy for Apple, so hopefully this is exceedingly embarrassing for them in the public's view.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Same here - HP(E) actually. Same issue, lowest everything, not even seat booking charges to book an aisle/bulkhead with legroom on a ULH LH flight, etc. Out-of-policy allowance for domestic flights within 2 hours either way dropped from $200 to $100 to $50 (e.g., I wanted an 8:00am flight; the system wouldn't allow it if there was a 6:00am flight for $51 less.) I'm not complaining, either. Companies have a right to their set travel policies but don't have the right to be surprised when people leave for what they consider to be a more humane travel policy.
Wife works for "large valley tech company" as well and she made travel policy part of her employment agreement. There was some initial push back but they wanted her bad enough they accepted it. Basically she flies Biz or better on anything over 3 hrs. International travel is a big part of her job with domestic travel being a big part of my job and it is too difficult to ask an employee to hit the ground running after a 15hr SFO-SIN flight for example.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by LIH
The deal Salesforce has with UA is similar. One premium cabin domestic RT gets you gold, two international ones get you 1K. UA is an old pro at exploiting the cyclical SF Tech booms.
Wow! Are they hiring?

Where are the Facebook folks traveling to???

Last edited by malgudi; Jan 14, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
United Is Telling Staff To Be Nice To Apple Employees

https://www.onemileatatime.com/unite...ple-employees/
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Nothing surprising and I don't view it to be an issue for UA. I would have guessed this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2019 at 6:03 pm Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by tomwhom

I notice in the comments on one of the letters that this month is 3-year contract renewal with Apple. I guess this is ammunition for Apple to get more concessions...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Maybe United should be telling staff, especially at SFO, to be nice all of us?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tanglin
I notice in the comments on one of the letters that this month is 3-year contract renewal with Apple. I guess this is ammunition for Apple to get more concessions...
True, but, at the end of the day United operates a service that Apple clearly needs. And UA can always approach it that way if they wanted to. Are you going to put employees on China Eastern? Or put them on a far less convenient schedule? United can spin this in a positive light, which it sounds like they are trying to do (stressing the importance of our best customers).
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Just one more explanation why we mere mortals feel like under appreciated when we transit SFO. No upgrades, ever. Good seats all taken. It’s all about Apple. Makes complete sense now.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by fumje
Does this hinge upon some kind of corporations-are-people interpretation? Certainly all companies should have internal data handling policies — I don't see this as a non-event — but I'm unaware of any regulatory statute that would be relevant here.
if you dealt with fed data it would be there. this would fall under a contract tort for the respective jurisdictions and likely an unauthorized disclosure of protected information by UA of all of the customers listed. It would obviously depend on the specific contract language between the companies but most of them have confidentiality/non disclosure clauses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.