Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Timing of meal service in Polaris. Is there an official policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Timing of meal service in Polaris. Is there an official policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I like fast meal service on the red eye: SFO/LAX/IAH/DEN-LHR so I can get in my sleep and generally decline the breakfast before arrival so i can sleep longer and the dining on order at the Arrivals lounge is much tastier. On the return I prefer a slower meal service as it is day time flight, however the return flights are a much harder slog on the FAs as most people stay awake.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
I take longer to eat than most, and I often fall behind the attendants' normal schedule for app/main/dessert. I've never had one try to rush me along. Unless I'm not interpreting correctly, the experience you describe seems normal, actually. Did the FA pressure you to take dessert as soon as your dishes were cleared or to stop eating your nuts when the appetiser was served?
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Me too. I have never had a problem eating at my own pace. I think American's eat way too fast. I prefer the European way of eating, nice and slow. Oftentimes I am still on my starter when others on dessert.
On a flight ORD-MUC last May, the FA told my wife that she should talk less to her neighbor and eat faster. However, my wife did have an excuse for eating in a slow manner: the spicy chicken is not so easy to eat if you don't want all the sauce on the front of your shirt.

I have to add that my wife is European and a meal is something to enjoy.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Hmmm...others complain service is too slow. Can't win for losing...
the answer to OP’s question is “sometime between takeoff and landing”!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
On a flight ORD-MUC last May, the FA told my wife that she should talk less to her neighbor and eat faster. However, my wife did have an excuse for eating in a slow manner: the spicy chicken is not so easy to eat if you don't want all the sauce on the front of your shirt.

I have to add that my wife is European and a meal is something to enjoy.
That might have been a poor attempt at humour. I once decided I wanted to have a beer and ice cream float before my meal. I received a weird scolding about needing to eat my salad or something before being served. (Sure, it's a strange request, but I don't expect the FA to match my own strangeness.)

Also, too bad the pyjamas aren't loaded on all flights. They are a perfect match for the spicy chicken!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never had any issue getting the meal whenever I've wanted it.

A few days ago flying EDI-EWR I was asleep almost as soon as we were airborne - before they had even bought around the menus and taken orders. About 5 hours into the flight I went up and asked to have breakfast. They said they were about 30 mins off serving the pre-arrival meal, but when I said I'd prefer the breakfast that they served just after take-off they were more than happy to comply!

I'd say close to half my flights I either have the 'fast" option (when they bring everything at once), or have the meal at a later time in the flight. In fact, one of the things I like most about United is that their quick service option includes the main, where on most other airlines I've flown it's everything except the main course.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Richym99
...I was on UA879 (1005 LHR-IAH) on Christmas Day and was looking forward to an enjoyably relaxed five course meal somewhere over the Altantic...
I guess your UA 1K-level flying is all domestic if that's what you were expecting. For decades, the meal service has begun fairly soon after take-off.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:17 pm

My experience on red-eye UA flights (trans-Atlantic) is that it is much better to eat a not-too-spicy but tasty dinner in the LH lounge beforehand, and then go right to sleep after takeoff, skipping the UA in-flight dinner! LH's lounge offerings are nutritious, tasty, but not too spicy to keep me awake at night (that would be Turkish Airlines), just right for a red-eye.... I do take the in-flight breakfast.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
My experience on red-eye UA flights (trans-Atlantic) is that it is much better to eat a not-too-spicy but tasty dinner in the LH lounge beforehand, and then go right to sleep after takeoff, skipping the UA in-flight dinner! LH's lounge offerings are nutritious, tasty, but not too spicy to keep me awake at night (that would be Turkish Airlines), just right for a red-eye.... I do take the in-flight breakfast.
The Polaris lounges are now (LAX, soon) an option. Eastbound, OP might want a relaxing meal over the Atlantic at 2am, though
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Richym99
and was looking forward to an enjoyably relaxed five course meal somewhere over the Altantic
I believe this was posted in the wrong forum.

Perhaps you meant to post on TK or OS forum?
narvik and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I get the point of having the meal served right after take-off on Red Eye flights, especially T-Atl where sleeping time is limited.

I do wonder why they serve the meal so soon after takeoff on the longer daylight T-Pac flights. I'm not talking about holding the meal off 4-5 hours, but maybe start 90 minutes into the flight. I wonder this because:

1. All J customers have lounge access and probably filled up there.
2. People get hungrier when they are awake.
3. Food is a great way to breakup a little boredom on a 15 hour flight.

I'm referring to flights such as ex-SYD/MEL, EWR/ORD-PEK/PVG/NRT, etc. These flights all depart before noon when people had a good nights sleep either at a hotel or at home and aren't in a rush to get to sleep.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So how long does it take you to eat 1 or 2 pieces of shrimp or salmon for appetizer? Not really sure whats there is to drag out "enjoying." On my flight from LAX-LHR and MXP - EWR, wasn't really impressed with the food nor did the quantity of the food warrant dragging things on.

If you really like drawn out meals, try Swiss. Last year, lunch and dinner service dragged on 3 hours. Should have been a clue to me when it seemed half the BC cabin seemed to have chosen the express meal.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I like fast meal service on the red eye: SFO/LAX/IAH/DEN-LHR so I can get in my sleep and generally decline the breakfast before arrival so i can sleep longer and the dining on order at the Arrivals lounge is much tastier. On the return I prefer a slower meal service as it is day time flight, however the return flights are a much harder slog on the FAs as most people stay awake.
Same here. Going east, I almost always sleep through breakfast, and prefer meal service ASAP after takeoff.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
OK seems to be a minor split decision.

Like many others, I will do the "forget the salad, main course ASAP on the red eyes (which are always long haul, never domestic BTW).

It just seemed to me that there is no rhyme or reason for a full dinner service at 11am GMT (5am cen), and a further light meal at 7pm gmt prior to arrival.

Maybe next time, I will ask them for the light meal about two hours after take off and the main meal two hours before landing, and see how that is received.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
There are at least a few people who did not have the time or inclination to enjoy a tasty meal in the lounge prior to boarding and at least a few others who happily will have two meals relatively close together.

Knowing you cannot please all the people all of the time, meal service soon after take-off is the easiest way to meet the needs of the largest percentage of people.

Hungry? They are getting your meal out quickly.
Not hungry? Ask them to slow it down.

Delaying my individual meal service is easier than speeding up my individual meal service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.