Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Tried CLEAR for the first time today at the SFO domestic terminal. Saved maybe a minute compared to using the GS lobby

1. Walked right up to a CLEAR attendant. No wait
2. Fingerprint worked flawlessly. Was worried since I had to redo the scan at enrollment 4 or 5 times before it accepted it
3. Dumped at the front of the PRE document check line
4. Waved through by TSA but still had to get in line for the conveyor

I think it’s a wash but I can definitely see the use at other airports (or terminals) without a GS lobby
Yes, you gain maybe one minute at domestic, but the gain is larger at international terminal even if there were a GS lobby. The reason is you do not get in line for the conveyor. That is often a big difference.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Yes, you gain maybe one minute at domestic, but the gain is larger at international terminal even if there were a GS lobby. The reason is you do not get in line for the conveyor. That is often a big difference.
Looking forward to finding out next week!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:30 pm

Half a million??

Originally Posted by deskover54
I've never once seen that at the old GS line at SFO. 100% of my experiences say they pull from the 1K/Polaris line when nobody in the GS line.
Totally agree with this poster.

If there are 100 pax over the course of a few hours (remember this is now GS/1K/Polaris AND Platinum) waiting to check in and UA decides it needs 4 agents to staff the counters, UA would need to check all 100 pax in anyway. That is part of what our ticket cost goes to. We are not saying they need to hire a 5th agent just to pick the GS out of the line and only help GS. UA would have the same exact number of agents checking in the same amount of pax — it is just the order of who goes first that would be different. And the time it would cost to check in those 100 pax would also be the same so no extra staffing hours for those 4 agents either. Again, you are just adjusting the order of who you check in first — sort of like the concept of going through the domestic GS lobby and into front of the pre-check line. TSA doesn’t hire a specific person for GS pre checks.

In fact, in the past,I have gone to the int’l GS line when no agent was at that GS counter and the 1K agent would then wave me over to help me out. If that is how they want to handle it, that is fine too as it would address the previous posters concerns about agents allegedly disappearing.

So yes, all they really need is a sign and not even have an agent under it if the 1K agents can wave the GS pax over.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:01 am Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Surf1

In fact, in the past,I have gone to the int’l GS line when no agent was at that GS counter and the 1K agent would then wave me over to help me out. If that is how they want to handle it, that is fine too as it would address the previous posters concerns about agents allegedly disappearing.

So yes, all they really need is a sign and not even have an agent under it if the 1K agents can wave the GS pax over.

I received another call from UA, This time from SFO customer service (last time it was HQ). It was a very cordial call lasting over 30 minutes. The UA representative really tried to understand our points, and he also tried to make me understand their considerations. In a nutshell, both an exclusive 1st line at international terminal and the T3 Global lobby have significant unused capacities. Most just use the GS lobby to bypass the line leading to TSA ID check. About letting 2nd line passengers to use the 1st (GS) line when it is empty, he brought up his past experience that some people entitled to the 1st line were upset when it was used by one not entitled to it. Namely, the lane was used by a lesser status passenger when the entitled one showed up, so the latter has to wait . i mentioned that I have seen this before when the line was for Global First and GS, and there were GF passenger who might feel that way - Those who paid five figure First class tickets or those from a royal family, Hollywood big star, etc., but GS means different things.. Some GS fly economy a lot of the time. I suggest that this situation is unlikely to happen now there is no more GF. He also brought up some other concerns that may make our suggested solution problematic. I responded with some suggestions that I feel can alleviate their worries.

He will take our conversations back for the SFO team to ponder, and said that they may call me again.
UA_Flyer and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:01 am

I received another call from UA, This time from SFO customer service (last time it was HQ). It was a very cordial call lasting over 30 minutes. The UA representative really tried to understand our points, and he also tried to make me understand their considerations. In a nutshell, both an exclusive 1st line at international terminal and the T3 Global lobby have significant unused capacities. Most just use the GS lobby to bypass the line leading to TSA ID check. About letting 2nd line passengers to use the 1st (GS) line when it is empty, he brought up his past experience that some people entitled to the 1st line were upset when it was used by one not entitled to it. Namely, the lane was used by a lesser status passenger when the entitled one showed up, so the latter has to wait . i mentioned that I have seen this before when the line was for Global First and GS, and there were GF passenger who might feel that way - Those who paid five figure First class tickets or those from a royal family, Hollywood big star, etc., but GS means different things.. Some GS fly economy a lot of the time. I suggest that this situation is unlikely to happen now there is no more GF. He also brought up some other concerns that may make our suggested solution problematic. I responded with some suggestions that I feel can alleviate their worries.

He will take our conversations back for the SFO team to ponder, and said that they may call me again.
That is really nice to hear. Maybe they can split the difference and have it during “rush hours.” But very nice that the guy called and you ably (at least I guess ably!) stated our concerns. Thank you for doing this!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: UA GS

So the argument is that some GS would be upset when lesser pax used their line, therefore the solution is to make all GS use the lesser line??
iluv2fly, Ari, canadiancow and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox

So the argument is that some GS would be upset when lesser pax used their line, therefore the solution is to make all GS use the lesser line??
Seems a bit like the rationale for ending extra-credit RPUs. Some people are annoyed that RPUs don't clear, so the solution is to give out fewer.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:00 am

I am so confused I called GS to book an award for 2 people 8/14 from LAX to EWR. As you can see in the below screenshot I assumed they would tell me the only flight with saver economy was the 6:00 am. Somehow the GS agent came back and said only flight available saver is 8:45am and it has upgrade space. Not sure how this all worked. EDIT: even after confirming the date on the phone the agent booked the wrong date....... SECOND EDIT: rep was able to move it to the 14th and claimed it was available checked the reservation and she actually booked the 10:00 am flight which didn't show availability either. That flight actually works great for me so I am not complaining but this is one of the strangest interactions I have had with a GS rep.

Last edited by myb821; Aug 9, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist. (From Wiki)
My question

Need GPU/RPU come from GS account?

What if the upgrade is supported by 1K GPU?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:04 am

Only GPU from GS account. 1K does not work.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Only GPU from GS account. 1K does not work.
What happens when a GS is out of GPUs and a 1k gives him/her one?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
What happens when a GS is out of GPUs and a 1k gives him/her one?
It needs PZ, status will be GS but no access to PN. The status of the owner of the GPU determines the PN/PZ. Just as a GS GPU gifted to a non-GS retains it PN, ditto for 1K and PZ.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Cleared up grade on SFO to KOA at T1hr on yesterdays SFO-KOA flight. Was number 1 at OLCI and remained 1 until T1 and cleared.... as predicted. Also my comments on T3 Clear at SFO, Sat AM very busy at T3 with probably 12 people in line at Clear, did use. Yesterday, after checking in at the GS lobby I went again to Clear and I was directed to Clear pre check line which basically just cycle you to the TSA line you access from the GS lobby. Apart from skipping the ID check (Clear does that) there really was no time saving at all. Actually for me it was longer as I checked my bags at the GS lobby and walked around to Clear to see how it went. Can't complain as it was free for me to sign up and will probably try it at other locations later in the year.

Last edited by nomad420; Aug 12, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Is there a GS access route to the front of the TSA Pre line at ORD for domestic flights?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:20 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
Is there a GS access route to the front of the TSA Pre line at ORD for domestic flights?
Yes, go through the GS check-in lounge down at the end of the Terminal 1 concourse check-in area (by handicapped services area) and that shoots you right out to the TSA agent at the head of the PreCheck line. If you're arriving by car just tell them to drop you off at the very last door (one door past the Pre-check/Premier door).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.