Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by ua_sp_102366
Response from Web Support which in itself is strange..

Thank you for being a Global Service member and congratulations for your 2020 invite!

I'm sorry to hear of the confusion over your benefits. I contacted a representative from the Global Service Department directly. It is true that you are now limited to just 1 companion when converting T to XN class and you also have to be traveling.

Bullet #2 . When you purchase a roundtrip business ticket, our guidelines now state that we can "open up" only one segment in IN class.

Bullet #3 . You were advised correctly. The IN fare class pricing may change. It is part of what we call "dynamic pricing". We quote the amount of miles needed at the time of the request and this is subject to change.

Bullet #4 . We can process both YN/XN to PN. So, the statement "Saver award XN to PN using plus points has been eliminated" is not correct per 3 different Global Service agents.

Bullet #5 . Again, pricing may vary due to the dynamic pricing.

My apologies again for the lengthy phone calls and possibly conflicting information. We do expect every member of our team to provide professional service and it sounds like we fell short. My apologies.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
#2 & #3 are HUGE devaluations of companion benefit, altho #2 is only really relevant for international travel. WRT, #3 , I just got a number of companion IN domestic First tickets & they were all still at the 25,000 saver first price, even for two flights that were 100,000 for JN.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Originally Posted by physioprof
#2 & #3 are HUGE devaluations of companion benefit, altho #2 is only really relevant for international travel. WRT, #3 , I just got a number of companion IN domestic First tickets & they were all still at the 25,000 saver first price, even for two flights that were 100,000 for JN.
indeed this is terrible. Especially the ability to book IN saver award on paid business ticket. Changing it to one segment only makes literally no sense especially if connections are involved. United doesn’t have direct flights from Chicago to large parts of Asia (India, Taiwan, Hong Kong) Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and parts of Europe.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
indeed this is terrible. Especially the ability to book IN saver award on paid business ticket. Changing it to one segment only makes literally no sense especially if connections are involved. United doesn’t have direct flights from Chicago to large parts of Asia (India, Taiwan, Hong Kong) Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and parts of Europe.
I guess #2 is still a bit ambiguous? I mean if you book a one-way domestic connection, you'll be able to force companion IN for both segments, or no?
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)
Originally Posted by physioprof
I guess #2 is still a bit ambiguous? I mean if you book a one-way domestic connection, you'll be able to force companion IN for both segments, or no?
I put in a clear example to make that point.. the answer I received was that they can “open up” IN for one segment (flight) only.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
If the IN opening up is true, we’re going to need to complain. Really doesn’t make any sense either. And will cost United revenue. I buy business class for trips I might not otherwise take because I know I can bring a companion.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
I put in a clear example to make that point.. the answer I received was that they can “open up” IN for one segment (flight) only.
I think this is thoroughly misinterpreted guidance because this example doesn’t make any sense at all given the need to transit.

I might wait a couple of days to when the regular team are back from GS versus the Web Support team to get a good response to your response.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I'm a 20 year 1K who recently became GS. I'm stunned at how often I'm placed on hold for 3-10 minutes waiting for a GS agent. It's become so frustrating, I pulled my phone number from my profile to avoid auto-routing. I now call and enter my wife's 1K number to get a 1K agent instantly. Only when I really need a GS agent do I enter my MP#. There are many nice things about GS, but the agent pool lacks the scale to be as efficient as the 1K pool.
This is probably coincidence given the few times you’ve called.
  • I've called the GS line hundreds of times and almost never experience a wait
  • GS agents have told me when the GS line is full it falls back to the 1K desm automatically

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
With flexible award pricing, what is the saver award miles requirement for a T conversion for a domestic trip (transcon SFO EWR)?
12.5k still?
It’s dynamic so they don’t promise a specific amount. In practice, 12.5K if booked far in advance, and higher closer to your departure date. Basically, the same price as if XN were open on that day.

Originally Posted by LIH
GS agent this AM was happy to open business saver space for an ORD <> LAX RT with me booked into C on those flights. Wonderful agent but it did take her ~15 minutes which is certainly longer than typical for my own historical experience.
~15 min is sadly normal for this benefit. However I’m happy to wait for it since it’s so valuable.
FTLexMUC likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by getagb

It’s dynamic so they don’t promise a specific amount. In practice, 12.5K if booked far in advance, and higher closer to your departure date. Basically, the same price as if XN were open on that day.
i can confirm GS converted T into 12.5k saver award. Such a great benefit
Old Dec 25, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I’ve noticed a huge change in the past month where many GS agents have been very eager to strictly enforce rules — even rules that don’t exist!

Being able to open up companion space is the main benefit I value in GS. With all the hoops and HUCA, it’s becoming no longer worth it.

When traveling (outside of work) with a companion, it’s becoming much more enticing to just redeem Amex points and fly a better airline (e.g. ANA F, LH F). And with all the cutbacks to Polaris soft product, I’m seeing all the less reason to hoard or spend United miles.
benewr likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I’ve noticed a huge change in the past month where many GS agents have been very eager to strictly enforce rules — even rules that don’t exist!

Being able to open up companion space is the main benefit I value in GS. With all the hoops and HUCA, it’s becoming no longer worth it.

When traveling (outside of work) with a companion, it’s becoming much more enticing to just redeem Amex points and fly a better airline (e.g. ANA F, LH F). And with all the cutbacks to Polaris soft product, I’m seeing all the less reason to hoard or spend United miles.
If this change is real policy than I will likely switch to Delta in 2020.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM

I agree with the higher enforcement (rules that don’t exist? Care to explain?) but I disagree with the conclusion. . The GS companion benefits within the strictly enforced rules are by far the most generous in the business. I highly value them. Also by nominating my wife to GS allows us very generous Intl and domestic upgrades for our kids and my family. Delta offers nothing close to it at any level. Bottom line know your benefits and argue or ask the agent to speak to a supervisor or just call back if you’re getting an uninformed agent. I’d like clarity on the one segment IN issue. Make zero sense to me too.

in terms of soft cutbacks. I really don’t notice so many tangible ones. The carts and the one course is a little lame. The food is honestly on par w any other domestic and LH and many other Intl. Carriers. Maybe the rate of cranky flight attendants is higher on UA vs others. Idk. That’s a hard one. . But the lounges are the best business class product out there. Including LH and NH. Comparing Intl F products to UA J really isn’t fair. And the prices usually aren’t close. I agree LH, NH SQ AF F products smoke Polaris. But it’s apples and oranges. And doesn’t exist for domestic travel. So not sure it’s a fair comparison.

Last edited by saccoNY; Dec 25, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
I’m still not convinced we have a conclusive answer on this companion benefit. To make it only valid in one direction doesn’t make much sense (I’d be curious if you could split up the award into two one ways to get around it) so I feel like we still need some more answers.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by saccoNY
I agree with the higher enforcement (rules that don’t exist? Care to explain?) but I disagree with the conclusion. . The GS companion benefits within the strictly enforced rules are by far the most generous in the business. I highly value them. Also by nominating my wife to GS allows us very generous Intl and domestic upgrades for our kids and my family. Delta offers nothing close to it at any level. Bottom line know your benefits and argue or ask the agent to speak to a supervisor or just call back if you’re getting an uninformed agent. I’d like clarity on the one segment IN issue. Make zero sense to me too.

in terms of soft cutbacks. I really don’t notice so many tangible ones. The carts and the one course is a little lame. The food is honestly on par w any other domestic and LH and many other Intl. Carriers. Maybe the rate of cranky flight attendants is higher on UA vs others. Idk. That’s a hard one. . But the lounges are the best business class product out there. Including LH and NH. Comparing Intl F products to UA J really isn’t fair. And the prices usually aren’t close. I agree LH, NH SQ AF F products smoke Polaris. But it’s apples and oranges. And doesn’t exist for domestic travel. So not sure it’s a fair comparison.
I’d agree with everything you said. GS is still more generous than what other programs offer. That said, I’m just not convinced it’s generous enough anymore to really strive attaining (at least in my case). This could largely be a function of how easy it’s become to rack up Amex / Citi points with the 5 points / $ spent on flights and restaurants. (And I’m fortunate enough to be in the position where I’m able to put lots of spend on my credit cards.)

I’d also agree that UA J is at least on par with LH J. That said, I used to think UA J was marginally better than LH J when it came to food, and far better when it came to hard product, so I’m kind of disappointed that UA has cut back staffing in J - which has noticeably led to crankier FAs - and gone to casserole dishes and significantly shrunk entrée portions. Perhaps it’s an issue of expectation vs. reality, but it feels as though UA is now barely better than LH J, if at all. And I say this as someone who would never fly LH before, unless it was in F. Maybe I’m spoiled from being able to easily upgrade LH J to LH F using GPUs? ... but with the right planning (and enough points, it’s really not that hard to fly F on better airlines).

Finally, I don’t want to get into it too much, but I’ve recently had some really unpleasant interactions with GS phone agents. Just the other day, I called to open IN for a companion, when I had bought a paid business ticket for myself. They were flying from another city to connect onto the flight we were both flying on. That flight had award space, so I didn’t think it would be a problem for them to connect to our flight. But the agent went on about how that would be taking advantage of multiple exceptions. She finally agreed to process the ticket, but then (and only then) said that she was forwarding it to corporate to verify that it was okay. She even said that if it wasn’t, they would take a closer look at my account. I found the entire exchange really weird, and kind of disturbing, but at that point didn’t want to ask her to cancel the whole thing.

Last edited by UAflyer93; Dec 26, 2019 at 12:31 am
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’d agree with everything you said. GS is still more generous than what other programs offer. That said, I’m just not convinced it’s generous enough anymore to really strive attaining (at least in my case). This could largely be a function of how easy it’s become to rack up Amex / Citi points with the 5 points / $ spent on flights and restaurants. (And I’m fortunate enough to be in the position where I’m able to put lots of spend on my credit cards.)

I’d also agree that UA J is at least on par with LH J. That said, I used to think UA J was marginally better than LH J when it came to food, and far better when it came to hard product, so I’m kind of disappointed that UA has cut back staffing in J - which has noticeably led to crankier FAs - and gone to casserole dishes and significantly shrunk entrée portions. Perhaps it’s an issue of expectation vs. reality, but it feels as though UA is now barely better than LH J, if at all. And I say this as someone who would never fly LH before, unless it was in F. Maybe I’m spoiled from being able to easily upgrade LH J to LH F using GPUs? ... but with the right planning (and enough points, it’s really not that hard to fly F on better airlines).

Finally, I don’t want to get into it too much, but I’ve recently had some really unpleasant interactions with GS phone agents. Just the other day, I called to open IN for a companion, when I had bought a paid business ticket for myself. They were flying from another city to connect onto the flight we were both flying on. That flight had award space, so I didn’t think it would be a problem for them to connect to our flight. But the agent went on about how that would be taking advantage of multiple exceptions. She finally agreed to process the ticket, but then (and only then) said that she was forwarding it to corporate secretly to verify that it was okay. She even said that if it wasn’t, they would take a closer look at my account. I found the entire exchange really weird, and kind of disturbing, but at that point didn’t want to ask her to cancel the whole thing.
It’s weird how some agents treat their most valuable customers with suspicion.

I don’t understand why UA doesn’t just document the GS benefits on the GS site. It would be way less confusing for everyone.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by getagb
I don’t understand why UA doesn’t just document the GS benefits on the GS site. It would be way less confusing for everyone.
Because UA views them as exceptions, not benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.