Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2019 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
United's Choice Menu for Inflight Meals Economy Dining Page (Includes current fresh product (Bistro on Board/BoB) and snack offerings (Snack shop) with pictures and prices)

Related threads
2019 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
2019 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
and the 2018 thread is here:2018 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)
Print Wikipost

2019 Let's Eat - Economy Class (Domestic & International)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: united
Grilled Chicken Orzo (looked terrible but tasted fine), fruit, and a really delicious piece of cheesecake for dinner today EWR-SFO, plus I got to sit in the new Premium Plus seat.

They passed out KIND bars near the end of the flight too.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
AUA-EWR in E+.

Lacking several BOB options, and not a single beer of any kind available. FA admitted they only cater the flight from EWR-AUA, and if they run out the return flight is SOL. She checked up front in First but they were out of beer also.

You can't treat a 1K to a drink if you don't cater any drinks!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Flight time or block time?
UA uses year around average flight times for determining food / meal offerings.
when you say block time i assume you are referring to the time listed on my travel itinerary. If that is the case, I mean block time. Seems like UA should just post a list of what flights will have it and which flights will not.

that will probably come after we can choose our meal in first (a la AA).

is there any way to view year round average flight times?

Last edited by elbejt2; Mar 8, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by elbejt2
when you say block time i assume you are referring to the time listed on my travel itinerary. ...
Correct

Originally Posted by elbejt2
is there any way to view year round average flight times?
Simple answer No. There are ways if you have the right access to data but nothing an average customer can do.

However, when booking, it should state a meal or a snack or ..... So you have access to the information at booking. (although occansional errors have been reported).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Flight 762 (IAD-IAH, 0830 EST - 1053 CST, 3:23 hrs) had no BoB either. I don't recall if I got BoB on the oppositev leg outbound but I'm pretty sure I got it in January.
UA 762 had food for sale this morning. The banana bread pudding was as tasty as ever.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Grilled Chicken Orzo (looked terrible but tasted fine), fruit, and a really delicious piece of cheesecake for dinner today EWR-SFO, plus I got to sit in the new Premium Plus seat.

They passed out KIND bars near the end of the flight too.
My favorite E+ meal and often better than what is in J.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Currently on UA 1460 EWR-LAX on 787-10 and the entire Economy section was served a decent hot meal of pasta (meat & meatless), but no General Tso as mentioned upthread!

When did UA started serving full dinner in Economy on domestic transcon like this? If this done on certain flights like this EWR-LAX run? I’ve seen this done in Economy on international flights but not on domestic.

Last edited by sapguy; Mar 8, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sapguy
Currently on UA 1460 EWR-LAX on 787-10 and the entire Economy section was served a decent hot meal of pasta (meat & meatless), but no General Tso as mentioned upthread!

When did UA started serving full dinner in Economy on domestic transcon like this? If this done on certain flights like this EWR-LAX run? I’ve seen this done in Economy on international flights but not on domestic.
Only in E+ on Premium Transcon service (SFO/LAX-EWR, BOS-SFO)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Only in E+ on Premium Transcon service (SFO/LAX-EWR, BOS-SFO)
Yep! Spoke to the FA and she told me exactly that - E+ only as people in E- still have to deal with BOB.

Seems like people sitting in E+ can get all the alcoholic beverages free of charge as well, nice!

Wow, why can't United offer this on all flights for E+ customers? Delta does this in Comfort Plus !
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct

Simple answer No. There are ways if you have the right access to data but nothing an average customer can do.

However, when booking, it should state a meal or a snack or ..... So you have access to the information at booking. (although occansional errors have been reported).
That info -- distinction of 'meal' or 'snack' -- is only for F, not Y, no? I think there's no explicit correspondence between whether F gets meal and whether Y has Bistro loaded.

Anyway, to the general point, this is one thing I find consistently frustrating about flying with UA. If the block time is anywhere between 2h and 4h I don't feel confident I know what will be boarded.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
That info -- distinction of 'meal' or 'snack' -- is only for F, not Y, no? I think there's no explicit correspondence between whether F gets meal and whether Y has Bistro loaded. ...
True but the 3 hour cutoff for BoB is the same three hour cutoff for all day (until 8PM) meals for F. So for pre-4PM, F meals and BoB are the same 3 hour metric.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True but the 3 hour cutoff for BoB is the same three hour cutoff for all day (until 8PM) meals for F. So for pre-4PM, F meals and BoB are the same 3 hour metric.
But they deviate from the snack/meal label and the 3h-Bistro/no criterion on some (high-revenue?) routes, and at least I find it becomes hard to predict. I haven't been able to figure if the Bistro meals go with the F meal deviations -- I think they may --- or if they have their own deviations. At least, as far as I've noticed, the deviations are always to the more-generous direction, i.e. (F) meals when labeled snack or (Y) Bistro when not 3h.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: None yet
Originally Posted by fumje
That info -- distinction of 'meal' or 'snack' -- is only for F, not Y, no? I think there's no explicit correspondence between whether F gets meal and whether Y has Bistro loaded.
For Y there are two types of service:

snack for purchase: snacks and snack boxes only
meal for purchase: hot food items available
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moyang_mm
For Y there are two types of service:

snack for purchase: snacks and snack boxes only
meal for purchase: hot food items available
Yes, and the question at hand is which will it be, and how can one know in advance?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:12 pm

3/5 UA179 - EWR-HKG Hunan Chicken with standard United Economy sides. Other choice was stir fried teriyaki vegetables with noodles.

3/5 UA179- EWR-HKG Pesto omelette with sausage. Actually more protein than dinner. Pretty good option. Other choice was pancakes.

3/7 UA252 - HNL-IAH Brioche cheeseburger Beef patty and fontina cheese on a brioche bun.
Served with Sir Kensington's ketchup, mustard and chipotle mayonnaise on the side. Lettuce, tomato and pickles available upon request. Not bad.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:19 pm Reason: Added date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.