Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
On board SYD-IAH right now, 01JAN UA100. We have grilled cheese & tomato soup or shepherds pie. The sky is not falling. Until next month.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by totorn
... the good chocolates before takeoff (as opposed to the way-too-sweet ones before landing)...
Although I have no proof, I am convinced the sole ingredients in the chocolates they offer nowadays are: Kremelta/Copha fat, sugar, coloring.
They are a vile excuse for a chocolate praline.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by narvik
Although I have no proof, I am convinced the sole ingredients in the chocolates they offer nowadays are: Kremelta/Copha fat, sugar, coloring.
They are a vile excuse for a chocolate praline.
"...Changes you will like"?

Seriously though, the cost-cutting is really getting out of hand. The Polaris lounges are still good, though (knock on wood). I too, liked the "Hot Bites", and there is no way that customer feedback led to their demise TATL.

Originally Posted by UK Stages
i'm spending 5K to 9k for a round trip business fare and more often than not, i'm bringing some of my own snacks on board, along with my own sprite zero.
On my most recent EWR-NRT flight, they ran out of Coke Zero at the 2 hour mark. On the return, they had only 2 cans on the whole plane (they searched coach for me) and gave them both to me. Something is awry with the catering these days. Oh, and they shouldn't have gotten rid of the Sprite Zero-also one of my favorite drinks.
narvik and BlueSky72 like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jan 1, 2019 at 7:48 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I can confirm the grilled cheese + tomato soup were proactively offered today by a wonderful crew on PVG-SFO. Grilled cheese was really good, tomato soup was so so - pretty watery.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Oh, and they shouldn't have gotten rid of the Sprite Zero-also one of my favorite drinks.
I’ve been reading for months everyone complaining about the lack of Sprite Zero and didn’t get what the big deal was. Just tried it for the first time — it’s delicious! Much different than regular Sprite.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
LHR SFO last week had shepherds pie, and the grilled cheese/tomato soup, They were also offered as alternative to the second meal service.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Is part of the issue the terminology “hot bites”? Are people asking literally for hot bites? I’ve been flying Polaris regularly since its roll out and have never associated that term with the Polaris experience. I always thought they were all “mid-flight snacks,” some of which are warm.

Then again, I’m not studying the menu regularly and have substantially lowered my expectations for snacks based on the decline in service.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:09 am

As another data point, flying GVA-IAD right now and asked for a “warm snack”. Flight attendant went to go check and returned to tell me there is Beef Burguignon. I found that strange and wondered whether it was the pre-arrival snack meant to be served in a few hours. Per the menu, however, the pre-arrival snack is Grilled Chicken. I ordered the Beef so let’s see what happens..

Snack cart in the galley consists of leftover desserts (no macaroons left, one cheese plate, and limited leftovers of the small other desserts/tarts), a pretty sorry selection of small snack bags in a snack basket, and a few Saran-wrapped fruits.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

In terms of inflight meals:

I see no difference between the pre-Polaris United Business and Polaris of today....other than the sweet deserts.

The downgrade is the elimination of noodle soup during mid-flight over the Pacific, and elimination of two choices of decent salad dressing.

I consider the current Polaris inflight meals as an overall downgrade from the former United Business offerings.

I miss the noodle soup a LOT. I used to order 3 of them, they always had plenty (maybe that tells you what the demand was). Only once they ran out in J, but then they just brought me one from F. When noodle soup went away, I was okay because we had Grilled Cheese/Tomato Soup + a hot small bowl option either rice or noodles. I was very unhappy when the small hot bowl disappeared going Asia to US. But it's okay. My last 3 international flights were all in Y and I survived. I may not make GS again this year (hope to find out soon...$44k spend, up from $40k last year and $39k the year before when I made it both years), but this year, I will likely end at $15.0k all on discount Y (maybe 2 paid J if I still decide to give some work trips to UA). Bye bye small hot bowl, bye bye $5k Business Class Ticket (that plus the downgrade of losing the small pillow, the cool looking PDB champagne cups although i love the new PDB cups).
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
...that plus the downgrade of losing the small pillow,
I had also heard the small pillow was gone. Was that referring to the gel pillow? I had one on my seat (along with the full sized pillow, duvet, blanket, slippers, and amenities kit) both ways EWR-HKG and HKG-EWR this past week. Requested and received a mattress pad and pajamas as well.

I also miss the mid-flight noodle soup.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
@nygiants242 how was the beef? How was it plated?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I had also heard the small pillow was gone. Was that referring to the gel pillow? I had one on my seat (along with the full sized pillow, duvet, blanket, slippers, and amenities kit) both ways EWR-HKG and HKG-EWR this past week. Requested and received a mattress pad and pajamas as well.

I also miss the mid-flight noodle soup.
No. They used to have the large white pillow plus a small white pillow and blue pillow on request. The small white pillows are gone. I did enjoy having 3 pillows although I do believe most people thought it was overkill.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I thought they had the hot bites TATL to the USA. Am fairly confident I had the cottage pie in November.
Had the beef stew ex-FRA in December - still my favorite!

Originally Posted by dh01
LHR SFO last week had shepherds pie, and the grilled cheese/tomato soup, They were also offered as alternative to the second meal service.
same here this week!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by onthesam
@nygiants242 how was the beef? How was it plated?
FA didn’t re-appear for another 40+ minutes, apologizing saying they had “forgot” and that it was “very, very hot”. As expected, was fully cooked through and overdone haha

It came in a small bowl, on a small saucer (no tray) with the napkin/cutlery set. A few pieces of beef, boiled potatoes, in a sauce. Honestly better than nothing so I’m happy to have it. But the bar with a United is always lower (e.g. a surprise that they even HAVE a hot snack, etc)

Seems very hit or miss, or inconsistent though.

Quick update: our pre arrival snack had 3 options - deli plate, chicken + couscous, and beef bourguignon. Looks like they just served me one of the pre-arrival snacks early in the middle of the flight
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by nygiants242; Jan 1, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:03 am

On SFO-CDG last week, I asked the FA taking dinner orders whether they had grilled cheese + soup for my three year old as an alternative to the dinner options. She said they could do that, but then searched and came back to say that none had been catered. On CDG-IAD on Sunday, I asked the FA the same thing, and he looked clueless as I tried to explain what I was requesting, saying he had never heard of the grilled cheese + soup combo being offered. I didn't ask about other options because she doesn't eat meat.

I didn't see anyone eating a warm mid-flight snack on either flight. The mid-flight snacks were the same leftovers from the dessert cart, random chips and other snacks and fruit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.