Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

So Did Hot Bites Officially Bite The Dust?or is the Report of Their Demise Premature?

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by Eadward
Interesting. Had never seen official mention of their existence before. That is the traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup, although I've tended to get the soup in a cup not a bowl more recently.
It used to be on the menu. But sometime in 2018, they changed it to "ASK the FA." Also, on the menu, it used to be listed as "Hot bites" hence where the name comes from.

narvik and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
From SFO:
I have had in 2018:
Cottage pies on the LHR flights.
Boeuf Bourguignon on the CDG flights
Lots of tomato soup w/grilled cheese sandwiches on the Asia flights.

everything runs out, so you have to reserve the hot mid-flight meal in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
...That is the traditional grilled cheese and tomato soup, although I've tended to get the soup in a cup not a bowl more recently.
Same here with the cup of soup, which made it easier to eat without a spoon. Also, it's chunky tomato soup (which I like) rather than a clear tomato soup. The last two times I requested it, it took 20 minutes to prepare.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Interesting. Had never seen official mention of their existence before.
Exactly. I ask for what I’d like (that I know they typically have) or would ask what warm snacks are available. I would not be surprised to have a FA be confused by asking for a “hot bite”. It’s just not a term that I’m accustomed to hearing (USA heritage here). And FAs hardly ever look at the menus. They often get confused when passengers order by the exact menu dish name, needing to reconcile that against their basic options of “seafood”, “chicken”, “beef”, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
EWR-NRT last month had shrimp with rice or the grilled cheese/ tomato soup combo as hot bites. NRT-ORD had chicken with rice or instant noodles. Saw another passenger order the instant noodles and it was served in a bowl?? Didn’t realize empty bowls were catered for the cup noodles.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Same here with the cup of soup, which made it easier to eat without a spoon. Also, it's chunky tomato soup (which I like) rather than a clear tomato soup. The last two times I requested it, it took 20 minutes to prepare.
I like the soup so much that it is usually the only thing I eat on my Asian flights. l request it early, when they start the main dinner service, so they make sure to save some for me.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Mid-Dec, ORD-NRT, I enjoyed the chicken on rice (they called it chicken stir fry) hot bite mid flight (although, it's definitely a tiny snack sized portion)... then about 2 hours later enjoyed the instant cup of noodles (in the cardboard cup!). On the return a week later, NRT-ORD, the flight attendant didn't know what the hot bite was when I asked (he thought it was either chicken stir fry or beef stew on rice), but I slept through the middle of the flight and did not partake. In both cases, grilled cheese/tomato soup was also available.

My husband who eats like a horse and I will be on LAX-SYD next week - I would expect he will be hungry every few hours, so we'll see how long the hot bites last. I will tell him to try to grab a hummus sandwich (or 2) if he sees one before they are all gone.

Also, in Polaris Business, is it an option to request snack boxes from the back? If so, there may be some hummus on crackers action happening (a la Tapas box).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bluepig1
Also, in Polaris Business, is it an option to request snack boxes from the back? If so, there may be some hummus on crackers action happening (a la Tapas box).
I have before and I was given it no problem. However they only cater them on the ultra long hauls (e.g. SFO-SIN) they’re not loaded on any flights to/from Japan, for example, as far as I’m aware.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by totorn
I loved the hot bites, but my experience is the same as everyone else. Since I don’t like the tomato soup+grilled cheese, I am often left with no warm option.
On SFO to Europe and SFO to Japan, I am usually stuck with the remainders of the desert cart. I am sometimes lucky between the west coast and HKG or Sydney, where I sometimes can get a hot rice dish.

Above all, I miss the lobster Mac n Cheese days, the PJs on 8+ hour flights, the good chocolates before takeoff (as opposed to the way-too-sweet ones before landing), the nice cart with the initial drinks, the champagne that is not hidden from our view... Polaris sure has changed a lot recently, and it is not only the warm bites. Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?

Happy New Year!
Originally Posted by totorn
Does anyone really believe that these changes are really the result of customer feedback?
Originally Posted by fly18725
Pretty easy to look in the carts at the end of the flight and see what wasn't eaten.
Amazing how United removes them from the menu...many FAs don't seem to know about them....and then there are many left in the carts at the end of the flight.
Almost like it was done on purpose.

Customer feedback or creative shifting of demand....end result is the same.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I do to the extent that I believe one or two people have provided feedback about too much food or that they like/don’t like this or that. United management, like politicians or a five-year-old kid, is hearing the feedback they want to hear and ignoring the rest.
That’s exactly right - my post upthread had a hint of sarcasm in my statement that we had asked for it.

Reading the reports here since my last post seems to generally align with what I was told my a Corp employee ... since December, hot bite provisioning (or whatever the right term is) is now aligned with ultra-long haul flights 13h+ in duration where PJs and slippers are provided.

I was thrilled to see new items in the snack basket today, however ... flavored rice crackers, cheez-its, mini protein bars. Hope that sticks.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Amazing how United removes them from the menu...many FAs don't seem to know about them....and then there are many left in the carts at the end of the flight.
Almost like it was done on purpose.
On my recent NRT-EWR flight, I skipped the main meal and went to sleep. When I awoke at about the 7 hour mark, I went up to the galley to find the FAs feasting on the hot bite selections. They still managed to find me 2 servings of Tomato soup, but the rest were gone.

I don't think any of the them are going to waste.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by zombietooth
On my recent NRT-EWR flight, I skipped the main meal and went to sleep. When I awoke at about the 7 hour mark, I went up to the galley to find the FAs feasting on the hot bite selections. They still managed to find me 2 servings of Tomato soup, but the rest were gone.

I don't think any of the them are going to waste.
This is the issue I have with some of the FA. They could find them when they want to eat them, but when customers ask for them, they cannot find them. Also, shouldn't they leave some behind in case a customer like you may want to eat them, rather than eat them all?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluepig1
Originally Posted by MTan
I have before and I was given it no problem. However they only cater them on the ultra long hauls (e.g. SFO-SIN) they’re not loaded on any flights to/from Japan, for example, as far as I’m aware.
Great idea! Are they showing up on any of the long-haul/West Coast TATL runs as well?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by 1015-1k

Exactly. I ask for what I’d like (that I know they typically have) or would ask what warm snacks are available. I would not be surprised to have a FA be confused by asking for a “hot bite”. It’s just not a term that I’m accustomed to hearing (USA heritage here). And FAs hardly ever look at the menus. They often get confused when passengers order by the exact menu dish name, needing to reconcile that against their basic options of “seafood”, “chicken”, “beef”, etc.
{R}eally, how hard is it for a Polaris-trained FA to actually read a menu or have basic familiarity with the services they're supposed to be offering?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2019 at 11:09 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
{R}eally, how hard is it for a Polaris-trained FA to actually read a menu or have basic familiarity with the services they're supposed to be offering?
True - goes with the territory. That said to be fair, it’s a communication protocol thing — they are trained to mark up the meal order sheets with the standard codes (B/C/F/P) to avoid any confusion between the galley and aisle flight attendants, and those working at times when the others are on a rest break.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.