Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-LAX has 752 lie flat aircraft, will it get Premuim Transcon Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-LAX has 752 lie flat aircraft, will it get Premuim Transcon Service?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kale73
Several months ago I was offered (on a Saturday) a SDC (both at the check-in kiosk and app) of MSY-SFO-LAX to MSY-EWR-LAX with arrival at LAX about an hour later than the original itinerary. I had cleared a mileage upgrade weeks before on the original itinerary and my "new" flights were in First and Business. I took it for the extra miles.
There are reports that PZ no longer SDCs to PZ.

What you may be able to do is purchase a relatively cheap P or Z fare, then SDC it to a premium to-con routing (which carries a much pricier fare).
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by dkc192
Standard domestic pillow and blanket on the two times I've flown this route since it was upgraded to a 752, both times ex-BOS.
What is a standard domestic pillow? There is no pillow provided on all domestic flights (other than PS).

You must share more information with us.... does this mean UA is brining back pillows?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are reports that PZ no longer SDCs to PZ.

What you may be able to do is purchase a relatively cheap P or Z fare, then SDC it to a premium to-con routing (which carries a much pricier fare).
My experience was early May. I had no intention of trying to “switch” to a p.s. itinerary when I purchased and MUAd the ticket and was surprised at the early Saturday morning offer. I had an ongoing ticket from LAX with about a ten hour layover; the “Other Flights” option thru EWR cut that down to eight. Still plenty of time to make my way to TBIT and enjoy the *A lounge.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Thought I’d update here given I just stepped off this flight.

Standard domestic transcon service with 2 entree choices (both hot) for dinner. Ice cream with just chocolate and whipped cream (cookies before arrival). No pillows, just standard domestic blankets.

Still a nice ride.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It looks like the trial ended unsuccessfully. Checked my 2/5/20 BOS-LAX reservation and it is now showing a 739 scheduled. Will have to cancel or re-route via EWR now ... that's going to be fun.
Some of my other trips thankfully still show a 752.

Last edited by cfischer; Aug 25, 2019 at 1:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
It looks like the trial ended unsuccessfully. Checked my 2/5/20 BOS-LAX reservation and it is now showing a 739 scheduled. Will have to cancel or re-route via EWR now ... that's going to be fun.
Some of my other strips thankfully still show a 752.
Yup, same here. Not only the frequency is down to two a day (I was actually hammered more for this), but at least one of the two is on 739 I blame DL, since this route is supposed to be hub-to-hub for DL but don't have the full dedicated D1 on this route (so that only B6 has the dedicated "premium" service).

Last edited by radiowell; Sep 14, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:22 pm

So I think this may actually also have to do with the availability of flat-bed aircraft given the Max shortage and growth in overall network. I wouldn't be shocked if this comes back next summer.
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SvenB1414
So I think this may actually also have to do with the availability of flat-bed aircraft given the Max shortage and growth in overall network. I wouldn't be shocked if this comes back next summer.
makes zero sense whatsoever. During the winter season they need a lot less 752s for TATL flights so there should be more, not less available. Putting a 739 instead of a 752 pretty clearly indicates they no longer want a premium product on this route IMO.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
makes zero sense whatsoever. During the winter season they need a lot less 752s for TATL flights so there should be more, not less available. Putting a 739 instead of a 752 pretty clearly indicates they no longer want a premium product on this route IMO.
Don't think you're factoring in overall network growth, retirement of certain other aircraft and the disruption from the Maxes that were online / were supposed to come online. Certainly it hurts "less" in Boston than if they took it off of a true Polaris route, but I don't think this is solely a demand issue, regardless of seasonality.
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
AA also dropped twice daily premium A321T aircraft on BOS-LAX route, which may have contributed to UA's decision.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
​​​​​​I thought the 757 on this route was seasonal, to take care of the uptick of summer travel. This route has been oscillating between 739 and 757 for sometime now. I know some we're hoping for a PS service as well. I guess only time will tell for a clear understanding
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
​​​​​​I thought the 757 on this route was seasonal, to take care of the uptick of summer travel. This route has been oscillating between 739 and 757 for sometime now. I know some we're hoping for a PS service as well. I guess only time will tell for a clear understanding
This route has been 752 lie-flat for quite some time now. No seasonal thing ... I flew it in February ... well, no longer I guess.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Aside from the max issues stretching the fleet thin, aren't there one or two 757s unexpectedly out of service? Pretty sure one was the hard landing, but I can't place the other one.... something in Portugal, maybe?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Aside from the max issues stretching the fleet thin, aren't there one or two 757s unexpectedly out of service? Pretty sure one was the hard landing, but I can't place the other one.... something in Portugal, maybe?
it was a DL 752 that had the hard landing at PDL.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
it was a DL 752 that had the hard landing at PDL
Never heard of that one. I was referring to the UA one from June UA627 N26123 DEN-EWR "hard landing"@ EWR, runway disembarkment - 15 June 2019

IIRC one of the fleet thread guys said it was going to get written off.

The other UA 752 is stuck in OPO: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31407297-post557.html
riphamilton likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.