Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United called traveller to check source of GPU (purchased online)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United called traveller to check source of GPU (purchased online)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Euflyer
As far as i understood she wasn't aware how her friend upgraded her...
Unfortunately, that excuse cannot make the upgrade sale valid.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:12 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
They're probably just trying to gather information regarding the seller to shut down that person's MP account (who probably applied too many GPUs/RPUs to PNRs with different names and in different locations).

Worst case for you your friend is that they close your MP account, pull the GPU, and charge you for any fare difference to put you back on the original flight.
drewguy and narvik like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Read Through This

You might want to peruse the 130 pages of this thread: MP Accounts Closed Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did she explain the purchase and source to the United rep? If so, there is an almost guaranteed likelihood United will cancel the upgrade, and cancel the ticket without a refund. As to what UA will do with HER mileage account, it's hard to say, but the seller's account is probably going to get shut down.
Will she still be friends after ?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Euflyer
A friend of mine got a call few days ago from a UA Rep asking questions about an upgrade she got.
Anyone else experienced a phone call from a UA rep asking who upgraded you and why? How you got the GPU?
What are the guidelines for upgrading someone else? Voluntary or revenue? seller or buyer? How does it work, i am not familiar with those but would be happy to know more if someone could help
I would love to know how UA tracks these down. Have been upgrading friends, family and co-workers (even friends of co-workers, what else can you do with expiring RPUS ) often over the years and neither they nor I ever got a call from UA ... so somehow they figured that this is o.k. (which it is of course) vs. the OPs (and others) case where they rightfully track down a sale.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Come clean with UA? Cancel upgrades?
Sounds like some people are encouraging a nanny state whereby everyone reports the next guy.... when does it start/stop.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
I would love to know how UA tracks these down.
The most direct means is by doing buys on ebay and craigslist. You find the source account, then track where the instruments went.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The most direct means is by doing buys on ebay and craigslist. You find the source account, then track where the instruments went.
sure, that's an obvious way. The OPs case sounds different unless there were several sold and they are tracking all of them down from that particular UA account which might have very well been what happened.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
‘Tis the Season... of expiring upgrades, inspiring sales, it seems.

AA’s on the hunt, too, according to today’s story on LL:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/12/15/...-how-to-react/

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 15, 2018 at 1:30 pm Reason: fixing “autocorrect” mistakes
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As mentioned upthread, I am someone who upgrades family and friends.

i am glad United goes after the transactions where people sell, barter and exchange their certificates.. People who sell their instruments likely result in fewer of us getting our GPUs, RPUs and CPUs.

I am all for sharing the upgraded experience with friends and family as a great gift.

However, co-workers or friends of co-workers? That has a huge taint of a business transaction in my personal opinion and adds a whole extra large group to a small pool of availability.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I was upgrading a friend once and was asked to confirm their birthday. The rep said it was to ensure I actually knew the person.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I'm OK with co-workers. Given away RPUUus several times. Often, but not universally wjem we are on the same flight.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I'm OK with co-workers. Given away RPUUus several times. Often, but not universally wjem we are on the same flight.
Due to a business relationship - correct?

That may be fine under United's rules but is probably taxable to the recipient as taxable income as not a gift. A true gift is not taxable to the recipient. It may be all your co-workers are your friends and it is not a business relationship.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Due to a business relationship - correct?

That may be fine under United's rules but is probably taxable to the recipient as taxable income as not a gift. A true gift is not taxable to the recipient. It may be all your co-workers are your friends and it is not a business relationship.
You and all of us should be taxed following your logic for everything we get from hotels and airlines. Points, upgrades, etc.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
I would love to know how UA tracks these down. Have been upgrading friends, family and co-workers (even friends of co-workers, what else can you do with expiring RPUS ) often over the years and neither they nor I ever got a call from UA ... so somehow they figured that this is o.k. (which it is of course) vs. the OPs (and others) case where they rightfully track down a sale.
Guessing it's a lot like revenue management, and quite the black art

since you have never received a call or had a problem its likely your "pattern" fits the algorithm that considers it above board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.