Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United VISA Signature Card - still worth the annual fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM

United used to offer 1K-elite $60 toward VISA signature annul fees. This benefit was abolished many years ago. Are you still using the VISA signature card with the heavy annual fees? Which one are you using now? Every anniversary I tried to cancel the card, every year the agent convinced me to continue with the card. Now comes to another renewal next month. I appreciate in advance for your valuable advices or suggestions.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm on the fence about it. I called recently to fish for a retention offer and was flatly declined, which was disappointing. At the end of the day though, it's the balance between the fact that even one single XN CPU is probably worth the $95 AF, and every great once in a while I use the lounge pass.

So far I have never paid the AF (one year on, one off, etc. with FYF signups covering the on years).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
United used to offer 1K-elite $60 toward VISA signature annul fees. This benefit was abolished many years ago. Are you still using the VISA signature card with the heavy annual fees? Which one are you using now? Every anniversary I tried to cancel the card, every year the agent convinced me to continue with the card. Now comes to another renewal next month. I appreciate in advance for your valuable advices or suggestions.
Signature? I have the old Select VISA card - the last one that allows you to earn some EQMs. $95 AF. Now that I don’t care about the EQMs anymore, I am always debating whether to close it. The 5000 annual RDMs at renewal time sort of cover the AF and I use it for groceries, home improvement and gas (all 2X), so I think it is basically cost neutral for me. The UA 3X spend was great until I got the CSR, and I should probably get a better card for grocery spend.
abaheti likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

United used to pay AF for 1K to get free Signature Card, then $60 to offset AF and finally abolished all subsidiary and 1K was on their own for the card. Signature Card had currently an AF of $140, too much for any standard when there are some many cards without AF.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I'm probably going to not renew mine next year. Got it earlier in the year when I dropped to Silver, and now that I've made it to 1K, there's no real benefit for me. I don't really use the lounge domestically (can also use Priority Pass a lot), and don't really book domestic award flights.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Signature Card had currently an AF of $140, too much for any standard when there are some many cards without AF.
What card is that? The predecessor of the Select card, which I think was called the Platinum card? I switched to the Select card when it became available because it seemed like te better choice for me; the primary benefits loss was the 5000 EQM for $35k spend, but there were cheaper ways to get those 5k EQM.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 14, 2018 at 12:37 am Reason: $25k -> $35k
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

All I could remember is the Select Card came in much later. VISA Signature was the very first card (had the card for at least 10 years) that United paid (or reimbursed) for 1K for many years.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:53 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Hey, slightly off topic. I am somewhat confused...Seems like different names for the same card. I have the legacy card you can’t get anymore...I think it was once called the United Visa Signature—I think.

It’s the card that still comes with an annual companion cert (which I just received). I get 1 PQM per $ spent at united.com along with 2 RDM. I do not get an anniversary 5,000 RDM bonus. My question is, whatever this card is, there’s also a bonus 5000 PQMs once you hit a certain spend. Does anyone know for sure what it is? I’m thinking it’s $30,000 or $35,000. I can’t seem to find it anywhere, and want to make sure it is indeed still offered before I switch my primary payment in the new year.

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Hey, slightly off topic. I am somewhat confused...Seems like different names for the same card. I have the legacy card you can’t get anymore...I think it was once called the United Visa Signature—I think.

It’s the card that still comes with an annual companion cert (which I just received). I get 1 PQM per $ spent at united.com along with 2 RDM. I do not get an anniversary 5,000 RDM bonus. My question is, whatever this card is, there’s also a bonus 5000 PQMs once you hit a certain spend. Does anyone know for sure what it is? I’m thinking it’s $30,000 or $35,000. I can’t seem to find it anywhere, and want to make sure it is indeed still offered before I switch my primary payment in the new year.

Thanks!
Sounds like the Chase MP Visa Platinum card and the spend bonus 5K PQMs is at $35K

If you go to tour Chase card account and look for "Redeem rewards See details", select "See details" and then select
"View Reward Program Rules and Regulations (PDF)" and you get the following PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
RPA0278_Web.pdf (97.4 KB, 257 views)
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Yes, It was called (or termed) Legacy Card initially (at least by flyertalk community). It did still come with companion-free tickets for US travels. It's no longer offered and I was always told (by the agent) the best card offered when I called to cancel in last 3 or 4 years. Had always been bought in by the sale pitch.

Thanks, WineCountryUA. I always appreciated your insights. Does Platinum Card also have $140 AF price tag?
also just check the PDF and it mentioned 'Credit cards without AF, the accrued miles on United will expire' (thought share here, although for most people, just make another trip on United, will extend another 18 months.).

Last edited by Row3Acer; Dec 14, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Signature? I have the old Select VISA card - the last one that allows you to earn some EQMs. $95 AF. Now that I don’t care about the EQMs anymore, I am always debating whether to close it. The 5000 annual RDMs at renewal time sort of cover the AF and I use it for groceries, home improvement and gas (all 2X), so I think it is basically cost neutral for me. The UA 3X spend was great until I got the CSR, and I should probably get a better card for grocery spend.
I'm in the same position. I use it as you do, then CSR for everything else. I figure it ends up being neutral. Also, it is my oldest existing/live credit account and has a very high limit. I was just pondering asking Chase to move the limit to my CSR and then closing the account, but for whatever reason I hold on to it. (The one in my wallet says Chase United Select, but at the bottom is counts as a Visa Signature for Visa's benefits.)
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Ha, maybe we should keep the 'Signature' card for keep sake as a legacy runner (eg being in inaugural marathons).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The old signature card I have comes with a free companion cert and 1 PQM per $ spent, up to 5,000 miles per year. I'm keeping the card until I hit 1MM in 2-3 years because those extra miles help me get/keep status.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linsj
The old signature card I have comes with a free companion cert and 1 PQM per $ spent, up to 5,000 miles per year. I'm keeping the card until I hit 1MM in 2-3 years because those extra miles help me get/keep status.
For flyertalk since 2004, it is taking you very long to reach 1MM, isn't it?
I always saw some mystery PQMs showing up on my account, now I know what it was (the card did not have $spent requirement for the bonus).

Does anybody know if we need to reach 1K for free companion-free tickets with the VISA card? [had been 1K every year, I wasn't sure if it's a requirement).

Last edited by Row3Acer; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:36 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like the Chase MP Visa Platinum card and the spend bonus 5K PQMs is at $35K

If you go to tour Chase card account and look for "Redeem rewards See details", select "See details" and then select
"View Reward Program Rules and Regulations (PDF)" and you get the following PDF
That’s it. I’ll check out the site later. Thank you.

Does anybody know if we need to reach 1K for free companion-free tickets with the VISA card? [had been 1K every year, I wasn't sure if it's a requirement).
You need not be 1K to get the companion cert. It’s a legacy benefit of the card, and status is irrelevant.
Row3Acer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.