Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines CEO to Make Historic Route Announcement Tomorrow (12 Dec 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
My guess, some combination of the following:
a new round the world route
multiple new routes from IAD
EWR-JNB
IAH-PVG
ORD-TLV
SFO-BOM
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Okay, here’s a really really really long shot. Highly unlikely I know.

Multiple flights to AUH and code shared connections on Etihad.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:01 pm

ORD to PER?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Something out of DEN, perhaps? They are starting a 787 pilot base in DEN, after all...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Air Houston
IAH-PVG
I don't think they could announce a new PVG route without getting it approved by the DOT and PRC government -- and they just petitioned the DOT to take over AA's slots for a second EWR-PVG frequency. If they intended to fly IAH-PVG, they'd have asked for that instead of the second EWR flight.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
ORD to PER?
ORD to PER is nearly 11,000 miles. There's no commercial plane on the market with the range.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
It's gotta be some sort of ULH flight. UA has already shown they're willing to do it (SFO-SIN, IAH-SYD, etc.), possibly more so than other US airlines. I agree with those that say it is likely going to be multiple routes. Considering the new UA 787 base in DEN, and the IAD frequencies increases, I will surmise that these will be the two focal points tomorrow (there could be more too besides those two hubs). Don't forget, tomorrow is apparently the day the MWAA will approve the construction of the Polaris lounge at IAD, maybe UA wants to add some more excitement on top of this for IAD?

I will guess:
IAD-ICN
IAD-HKG or PVG
DEN-PEK
DEN-MUC
EWR-SYD (could this be done on a 787-10?)

I am excited to see what it is!

Edit to add: I could also see IAD-JNB or CPT
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SIN-DEL/BOM, restore RTW with UA, that feels historical

long shot (punt intented) SFO-DEL(/BOM) ???

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 11, 2018 at 9:36 pm Reason: long shot
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Going US-DXB/AUH/DOH-TLV is quite a backtrack, DXB-TLV alone is 1,300mi, over 3.5h of flight time. EWR-TLV vs EWR-DXB-TLV (if ME3 flew direct to EWR) is 2,500mi extra distance. If anything, it's something for WW/DY to take a stab at, but WW is failing miserably.

I think something historical would be to bring back JFK or a 5th freedom route. Otherwise it might be SFO-India or EWR-Africa.
Unfortunately, they won't fly from any middle eastern flight to TLV. Due to Middle Eastern restrictions. I don't think its happening in a distant future.

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
No anagrams on Twitter this time?

If the announcement is in Chicago I’d be looking at some love for ORD. Some of the ORD regulars have been felling a bit left out recently.

My guess:
ORD-DEL
ORD-BOM
ORD-TLV
EWR-BLR (or SFO-BLR reduced payload)
Yes, we will see what happens. I'm sure 787-9 will fly nonstop ORD-BOM/DEL without payload restrictions. They still have enough range to reach into India.

As for TLV, I think they can have nonstop ORD-TLV by operated 777 aircraft. They won't have any problem at all. They will departed flight at 7pm instead of 10pm.

Originally Posted by NYTA
Fingers crossed for more TLV...
Yes, we'll see what happens. If they start ORD-TLV by operated 777 aircraft.

Originally Posted by Santander
Something out of DEN, perhaps? They are starting a 787 pilot base in DEN, after all...
Yes, they already have. They do have 787 pilot base in DEN, SFO, EWR, LAX, IAH and IAD, as well.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I saw somewhere someone had mentioned Oscar was at ORD, but then hours later in LAX. So, maybe something along the lines of more buildup in LAX with a MEL/BNE? But, LAX also has a draw to GUM, and that is about the only thing that I would see as truly "historical".

But, since we're all playing the guessing game and going with a potential "multiple" announcement:

LAX-MEL/BNE/GUM (not all 3, just one)
-corresponding move of making LAX a "VP" hub rather than having it run by a Managing Director
ORD-TLV
SFO-India
100% removal of all 50 seat flights from EWR
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
EWR-SYD (could this be done on a 787-10?)
No. The 787-10 actually has much less range than the 787-9. It's intended to be used for shorter, high-volume routes; UA has targeted them for TATL and South America flights.

EWR-SYD is 9930 miles. By comparison, LAX-SIN is 8770 miles, and EWR-SIN, which UA can't do with any equipment they currently fly, is 9534.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
I saw somewhere someone had mentioned Oscar was at ORD, but then hours later in LAX. So, maybe something along the lines of more buildup in LAX with a MEL/BNE?
UA already flies LAX-MEL. It's SFO-MEL that's missing from the network.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. The 787-10 actually has much less range than the 787-9. It's intended to be used for shorter, high-volume routes; UA has targeted them for TATL and South America flights.

EWR-SYD is 9930 miles. By comparison, LAX-SIN is 8770 miles, and EWR-SIN, which UA can't do with any equipment they currently fly, is 9534.
Right! They do not have enough range. I think they have to be on A350-900ULH aircraft. If they ordering A350-900ULH aircraft.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist

Thanks for the correction! Maybe one day, you know UA would kill to do NYC-SYD direct.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
Thanks for the correction! Maybe one day, you know UA would kill to do NYC-SYD direct.
Actually, I think QF wants to fly nonstop from SYD-NYC by operated A350-1000ULR aircraft.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

oops, was thinking PER.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
oops, was thinking PER.
Unfortunately not, I don't think they have enough range. It was out of range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.