Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Seat Poaching Attempt Experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Premium economy is not even J lite I doubt I would spend my own money to book it let alone poach it. But on long haul flightsthey are almost always sold out so good luck poaching it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:58 pm

I did not see anyone tried to pull this stunt when I flew on JL 4 from NRT to JFK in early Nov 2018, even though there were a couple of empty seats in Business class.

However, I saw this happened on CX 865 on 25/11/2018 - JFK to HKG. There were around 6 empty seats in J cabin and we saw a young Indian man in his 30s who look like an IT worker, just sat down on one of the empty seats. A few minutes later, an FA approached him and asked him to show his boarding pass. We heard bits and pieces of their conversation as I sat in the middle row with my wife and he tried to occupy the right window seat. Once the FA saw his BP, he was told to go back to the economy class. He tried to use the "seat is vacant, why can't I seat there" argument with no luck so he packed up his stuffs and moved on.

My wife and I were in disbelief and shook our heads because it was the first time we saw someone tried to poach a seat in Business class. Maybe because we rarely fly in J, only once a year when we go to overseas for holiday. Regardless, he wouldn't have been successful anyway since the FAs usually do head counts and greet you to confirm your names.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Back in the day when I was in my mid twenties people would try to poach my J seat on the Midnight Del-Fra flight. I actually would have old indian guys be like "You are young, you should sit in coach". My reply would always be "the government of India is paying for to fly J, anything else would be treason".

A few years ago I was doing a IAD-ORD flight and this women who was a 1K was in the first row of economy plus. She couldn't believe she wasn't upgraded, and first class was full of crusty military guys (probably third party contractors since they were in J) coming from the Kuwait City flight they had back in the day. When one got up to go to the restroom she actually tried to steal his seat!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:01 pm

What an interesting topic! I have never actually reflected on this, but I've encountered several cases in the last 20 years or so, and the following three instances particularly stand out.

1. (probably) SAN to JFK on AA, a couple of years ago. I am in Row 2 (or 3) aisle, and a middle-aged woman in dark glasses sits next to me. Lots of bright colors and blings. Unsolicitedly, she starts telling me how she only flies F, she owns a property in Upper West Side of NYC, and that she is traveling incognito because people won't leave her alone if they found out who she was, etc. Before long, another woman comes up and says, "Ma'am, I think you are in my seat." The self-identified celebrity rolls her eyes, says nothing, and leaves toward the back of the plane.

2. NRT to JFK on JL, maybe 5 years ago (before Sky Suites). As soon as the purser made the "door closed" announcement, a young American man comes running to the front of J and sits down. An FA immediately comes over, but the Japanese way of handling these situations was apparently too subtle for this guy--as they were saying things like, "I think we might have given you the wrong BP. Would you mind showing us your BP?" etc.--which got escalated to, "Would you like me to help you find your seat?"

If you know the Japanese culture, you know that means, "Get your a** back to Y!!!" but he clearly doesn't get that and claims he has misplaced his BP, etc. Another FA joins...and the conversation continues. After a while, an older American female passenger (of the same racial background as the guy) in J stands up, approaches him and says something like, "Do you really have to come all the way to Japan to make ALL OF US look bad? Some of us have move here to escape the negative stereotypes," etc. After a few more exchanges, the guy reluctantly returns to Y.

3. This past summer on AY (HKG to HEL). I find a woman (probably in her 60s) in my J seat in the mini cabin. She is clearly European, but she doesn't appear to speak English--and she isn't going anywhere. She is looking at me with hate, saying something (and I don't think it was Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian or any of the major languages--maybe it was Estonian?). I ask for FA's help and the matter is resolved quickly...and she had ostensibly mastered English by then. Why was this memorable? Well, because the woman found me in the baggage claim @ HEL and continued to give me a dirty look. Since relatively few people actually get off @ HEL and collect their bags, I couldn't really hide from her...
MSPeconomist and porciuscato like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:17 pm

This used to happen to me frequently when I had either the aisle exit seat or a 1st class seat & only had a small carryon that would easily fit under the seat in front of me. I purposely waited to be among the LAST to board and most of the time a "poacher" was in my very preferred seat. Usually I "kicked" these jerks out myself & occasionally sought help from the FA. They always said it was a mistake but I knew it was IOB (intentional obnoxious behavior) by someone who thought he/she was going to get a good seat.
Betterthanyou likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
On principle always refuse to change seats, no problem no fuss just say polite NO.
iluv2fly, denver19 and BlueSky72 like this.

Last edited by midorosan; Dec 11, 2018 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:16 am

Some people certainly have more confidence than I’ll ever have.
Wonder if someone would be eyeing me in a similar way to that young man when I attempt to find out what J is on LH with the last minute upgrade
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
On Polaris flights, I board as soon as possible, in part to avoid this issue. What if you board last and find that not only is there someone in your seat, but he's opened the amenity kit, put on the socks, has the blanket draped across his legs, etc? I don't value the additional in-terminal time vs settling in early.

Only J poaching I've experienced was intra-cabin with someone who on being challenged tells me to swap my bulkhead aisle seat for a window seat toward the back of the J cabin. No, but thanks for (not) asking!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
On Polaris flights, I board as soon as possible, in part to avoid this issue. What if you board last and find that not only is there someone in your seat, but he's opened the amenity kit, put on the socks, has the blanket draped across his legs, etc? I don't value the additional in-terminal time vs settling in early.

Only J poaching I've experienced was intra-cabin with someone who on being challenged tells me to swap my bulkhead aisle seat for a window seat toward the back of the J cabin. No, but thanks for (not) asking!
This exact thing happened to me last year. Got on and some old lady had already made herself comfortable in my 6B seat and wanted me to take her middle section seat:
"You don't mind, do you dear? I'm claustrophobic"
Of course I kicked her out but not after having to argue with her and threaten to call the FA. I leaned over and took her amenity kit, pillow etc since she'd already opened mine.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
A couple of months ago -- SFO-HNL on a 739; I'm in 7F, or supposed to be, anyway...When my upgrade didn't clear (mileage) I had consoled myself with the fact that I would at least be in a bulkhead row. Oh, well
A young family - daddy, mommy, toddler and infant in arms - were CAMPED in the row, baby paraphernalia everywhere. They had boarded when 'families with small children' were invited to board, otherwise I'd have been there before them (not that that would have changed the outcome). They begged me to take the father's original seat, which was 10F (using the line "so we can stay together as a family." Apparently that is supposed to do the trick.) Well, it worked this time, because I let them stay and took the dad's seat. They were very grateful and when I got a glass of wine the FA said they had paid for it. That was a nice gesture. It was a long flight in an E+ row with a reclined passenger in front of me, but I survived.
How do you turn down that request...or even want to, knowing you'll be stuck in the row with mom and two very young children? (The kids were very quiet, I must say. Didn't hear a peep out of them -- but that's not always the case with little ones, of course).
What if dad's seat had been in the middle in E- (or even still E+)?? What would you do?
denver19 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lindaiah
A couple of months ago -- SFO-HNL on a 739; I'm in 7F, or supposed to be, anyway...When my upgrade didn't clear (mileage) I had consoled myself with the fact that I would at least be in a bulkhead row. Oh, well
A young family - daddy, mommy, toddler and infant in arms - were CAMPED in the row, baby paraphernalia everywhere. They had boarded when 'families with small children' were invited to board, otherwise I'd have been there before them (not that that would have changed the outcome). They begged me to take the father's original seat, which was 10F (using the line "so we can stay together as a family." Apparently that is supposed to do the trick.) Well, it worked this time, because I let them stay and took the dad's seat. They were very grateful and when I got a glass of wine the FA said they had paid for it. That was a nice gesture. It was a long flight in an E+ row with a reclined passenger in front of me, but I survived.
How do you turn down that request...or even want to, knowing you'll be stuck in the row with mom and two very young children? (The kids were very quiet, I must say. Didn't hear a peep out of them -- but that's not always the case with little ones, of course).
What if dad's seat had been in the middle in E- (or even still E+)?? What would you do?
They had primo bulkheads seats but wanted to stay together too? I would have suggested Mom and babies switch with whoever was in 10E+D, I'm sure they would have been happy to switch.
ESPECIALLY since they were already "camped out". That is beyond rude.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I've experienced this multiple times, I typically do what you did but I won't if it is a middle seat, I politely tell them no not for a middle seat. Of course you then run the risk of sitting be it in the aisle or window seat with mommy/daddy and screaning toddler and infant next to you for the whole flight. For me the trade out is usually better.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
Zero chance this was going to work on an international flight (or likely even a domestic one).

Poaching E+ from E is certainly possible and does happen, but with the level of service provided in J there's no chance a flight attendant isn't going to notice that a person isn't on their manifest and ask to see their ticket. "What you you like for dinner Mr... umm.. who are you?!?"

Do you know if the real 9L was an upgrade? It's possible the poacher had been watching the seat map (either at the gate or on their phone) and seen that 9L was free, only to have it given to an upgrade after they looked... Given it's 9L and thus one of the best seats on the plane I'd say that's unlikely, but possible.

Plus then there's the fact that all seats on 77W's have power, not just those in business...

I saw one about 6 months ago on a domestic flight. Older lady who I guess normally flies Southwest walked onto the plane, saw an empty seat she obviously liked the look off, and took it. When the real passenger from 1B came along the flight attendant pointed out that her seat number was on her boarding pass, and that this wasn't row 30-something....
Another thing that could happen (but probably unlikely) is that he was watching the seat map and the upgrade list, saw there was availability and was ALSO 1st on the upgrade list. There have been occasions where I am first on the upgrade list and there is availability and I know there is a very high likelihood I will be upgraded. But I still have to sit in my assigned seat and wait for the FA to come by with my new boarding pass. It's a bit of a hassle since I have to get all my stuff, step over the other people on the flight, etc. So this could be a possibility.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
You're nicer than I am. I always refuse seat change requests. I'm not rude about it, I just answer politely, "No, I'm sorry I can't do that". 90% of the time that ends it, on the few times I've been argued with the FA solves the problem.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It sounds like mom and kids were assigned into the 7DE block while asking for help keeping by the family together (just guesswork on my part). Since the swap was a reasonable approximation of like-for-like (in my mind), I would have gone along with it. I would have refused a middle seat in either Economy section, and probably an aisle/window in E-.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.