Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Losing 1K next year... I'll miss the food and drink most.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing 1K next year... I'll miss the food and drink most.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp1264
Do they deny you a box in first class if you ask for it?

I was just on a ERJ-175 flight yesterday and the flight attendant pro-actively asked me if I wanted a box from the back
The truth is that I never asked for a box when sitting in First Class as I don't like to look like I'm high maintenance. However, on some flights, I would happily accept a box if the flight attendant offered it instead of the meal choice. I don't want warm muffins, I don't want oatmeal if that's the only choice left......
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I am about 24k miles and 1700 PQD shy of 1K for next year. As there's no way I'll make 1K for 2020 at $15k spend, trying to decide if it's worth a "last harrah" mileage run to Singapore by the end of the year to go one last spin at 1K. I figure if I can drink 200 drinks in coach over the course of the year I'll break even.

But in addition to the spend, it is 3 days on a plane best case.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Business travel (very low earlier in the year) has picked up dramatically since September so I’ve been spending a lot of time in domestic coach.

And yes the free food, and not having to decide whether to eat at airport in case the upgrade doesn’t clear, has been excellent. The snack boxes are fine; the hummus and pita meal is also very nice and light.

But overall I’ve had excellent service from everyone (check in, gate agents, flight attendants, the 1K line) recognizing me and thanking me for being 1K.

Sometimes the 1K line agents have gone OTT with the fawning (“Mr. BusinessTraveller, you’re our VIP and one of our very best customers and we’re soooooooo grateful for your business” - that.was yesterday asking for 2 GPU’s to be extended) and the call has taken twice as long as need be because of the fawning. It’s very very nice to be appreciated, but ....

And I have requalified so I’ll just have to put up with the fawning for another year.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The truth is that I never asked for a box when sitting in First Class as I don't like to look like I'm high maintenance.
Just ask. Flight attendants deal with a bunch of stuff - they don't mind getting you a snack box.
atword likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
The 1K desk is what I'd miss the most. The rest is nice… but the amazing agents who can fix almost any situation with insane leeway is the real killer benefit.
Yes!!!!! I enjoy many of the 1K benefits, but the 1K desk is near the top. They have saved me so much time, which has directly helped both my work and my sanity!
polarbears likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I’m 300 miles from 1K this year. Haven’t been 1K in four years, it’ll be nice having it again
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
My bar of mini bottles

I chuckle every morning I'm home when I see my home bar lined with nips. I never want to pass up the free food and a drink. It's at least a $1.8k retail value ($10 food + $8 drink = $18 x >100 flights = $1,800) that I've earned!

But very often I have to drive or work when I land, or 1 drink is hardly enough to get a buzz thus why waste the caloric intake. So I ask for a (rotating) spirit, rocks, with Dasani Lime. Very rarely do they open the nip. The nip goes into my bag and Dasani Lime is added to the cup.

The nips are less than 3oz so TSA has no problem seeing sometimes 5 or so nips by the flight home at the end of the week.

The nips fit perfectly in my ski coat pockets!

The cheese burger might be the best food item available even compared to F meals.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ajmeboy
...The cheese burger might be the best food item available even compared to F meals.
Yup - the free food items have forced me to add two items to my pack list - a couple of paper towels and a couple of salsa packets (for the breakfast sandwich or tacos). I quickly learned the napkin provided w/ cheeseburger is insufficient and the breakfast items usually need a little spike.
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by username
Definitely will miss the waived award fees, 1K line and the better irregularity handling the most.
I use the waived award fees a LOT, since I tend to use my miles on big international trips or on short-notice, frequently-changing domestic travel for my family. The 1K line has helped me out of a few jams this year.

The snack/drink are becoming more important than I thought they would be, since I'm getting so few complimentary upgrades these days. A tube of Pringles while watching a movie takes the edge off of the hours in a 17"-wide seat.
polarbears and nomad420 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
I use the waived award fees a LOT, since I tend to use my miles on big international trips or on short-notice, frequently-changing domestic travel for my family. The 1K line has helped me out of a few jams this year.

The snack/drink are becoming more important than I thought they would be, since I'm getting so few complimentary upgrades these days. A tube of Pringles while watching a movie takes the edge off of the hours in a 17"-wide seat.
Waived award fees big plus for me for the exact same reasons! Not super impressed by the 1K line recently but YMMV.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lalato
I know the food options can be subpar, but the food and drink perks are the thing I'll miss most about 1K. The recent change to pre-boarding is second on my list. The last thing I'll miss is the occasional upgrade to first/business. Upgrades are rare (and very nice when you get them), but food and drink are on just about every flight. When I'm in a rush it's nice to know that I won't go hungry if I don't grab something at the airport.

Now I need to figure out how to best to spend all these miles I've accumulated over the last two years. I'm thinking somewhere warm in January.
Same situation here, although I find now that unless you're seated in the first 4-5 rows of E+ or so, the hot food is mostly already gone. So, no hot food if I am in an exit row, but I can score a box no issue.
I've only had the opportunity to try to get free food a couple times so far and it's nothing I'll miss. I'd rather grab Wendy's in the terminal than eat the godawful garbage in the boxes and getting my choice of the "snack basket" on a 2.5 hour flight starting at 7:30 is ... just laughable.

Originally Posted by helvetic
The 1K desk is what I'd miss the most. The rest is nice… but the amazing agents who can fix almost any situation with insane leeway is the real killer benefit.
One of the benefits I'm liking is ability to change award travel with no fee at all, no mater the time until departure. It's nice to be able to book to lock something in and then cancel if plans change or you find something better without paying a penalty.
In the short time I've been 1K, I've also had the opportunity to call in to MP customer support three times and appear to have got the 1K desk every time. Every time, they've been great to work with (although to be fair, I have had great experiences with MP customer support as Silver and Gold in the past).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It’s primarily the waived award fees for me and, of course, the extra RDMs. I don’t fly domestically that often so I don’t really experience the other perks.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I've only had the opportunity to try to get free food a couple times so far and it's nothing I'll miss. I'd rather grab Wendy's in the terminal than eat the godawful garbage in the boxes and getting my choice of the "snack basket" on a 2.5 hour flight starting at 7:30 is ... just laughable.

In the short time I've been 1K, I've also had the opportunity to call in to MP customer support three times and appear to have got the 1K desk every time. Every time, they've been great to work with (although to be fair, I have had great experiences with MP customer support as Silver and Gold in the past).
The snack boxes were never great and I think are getting less great, but the hot food on longer flights is acceptable in my view.

When you call MP, as long as the phone system correctly registers your MP info, the agents are supposed to always answer '1K desk', regardless of whether they are actually 1K-designated agents.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The ability to get a (usually competent) agent within 2 minutes at almost any time 24/7 is probably the benefit of 1K that I overlook the most. Every time I have to call any other company's customer service I remember...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, 1K
The counter agents and 1k line have gone out of their way, especially with cancellations and delays, looking at alternate flights, alternate cities, and connections. They seriously work to find a solution. I am 9100 miles short for 2019 due to grounding for a health issue. Desperately trying to find a solution to maintain status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.