Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Losing 1K next year... I'll miss the food and drink most.

Old Dec 4, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP

I know the food options can be subpar, but the food and drink perks are the thing I'll miss most about 1K. The recent change to pre-boarding is second on my list. The last thing I'll miss is the occasional upgrade to first/business. Upgrades are rare (and very nice when you get them), but food and drink are on just about every flight. When I'm in a rush it's nice to know that I won't go hungry if I don't grab something at the airport.

Now I need to figure out how to best to spend all these miles I've accumulated over the last two years. I'm thinking somewhere warm in January.
BeeeJay and Slurve30 like this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:20 pm

Yeah - the food and drink in coach has simplified my travel to some extent. I donít need to debate whether or not I should eat before a flight with a day-of-flight upgrade possible. Now, it doesnít matter - upgrade or not, UA is providing food/booze.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Yeah - the food and drink in coach has simplified my travel to some extent. I donít need to debate whether or not I should eat before a flight with a day-of-flight upgrade possible. Now, it doesnít matter - upgrade or not, UA is providing food/booze.
LOL... I-O-T you are the greatest knife and fork man in FT! If I have a question about what is served, when is it served, options, costs, quality, etc... you are the man! Staying on topic, I would miss the award travel benefits and that is about it. Many know my feelings about the uselessness of the up-grade instruments. Getting the little milage bump (I think something like 11 x fare) at booking is nice but you get a bump at Plat as well.
windhund likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
LOL... I-O-T you are the greatest knife and fork man in FT! If I have a question about what is served, when is it served, options, costs, quality, etc... you are the man! Staying on topic, I would miss the award travel benefits and that is about it. Many know my feelings about the uselessness of the up-grade instruments. Getting the little milage bump (I think something like 11 x fare) at booking is nice but you get a bump at Plat as well.
Yeah... the mileage bump is definitely nice. I'll only be Gold next year, but the miles I did get this year were boosted significantly because of that bump. I now have enough miles for two round trips in Business Saver because of it. I'm thinking maybe Ecuador to see the Galapagos Islands.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
it is really one of the few 1K benefits left that you can count on
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; SPG Plat100; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat Amb
The 1K desk is what I'd miss the most. The rest is nice… but the amazing agents who can fix almost any situation with insane leeway is the real killer benefit.
Old Dec 4, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF & *A & Marriot Gold, OW Sap, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
The 1K desk is what I'd miss the most. The rest is niceÖ but the amazing agents who can fix almost any situation with insane leeway is the real killer benefit.
THIS!! I called them 3 times yesterday and each call was under 5 minutes total duration including wait time
Old Dec 4, 18, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR PP & LTP, National EE
One of the benefits I'm liking is ability to change award travel with no fee at all, no mater the time until departure. It's nice to be able to book to lock something in and then cancel if plans change or you find something better without paying a penalty.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Same situation here, although I find now that unless you're seated in the first 4-5 rows of E+ or so, the hot food is mostly already gone. So, no hot food if I am in an exit row, but I can score a box no issue.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp1264 View Post
Same situation here, although I find now that unless you're seated in the first 4-5 rows of E+ or so, the hot food is mostly already gone. So, no hot food if I am in an exit row, but I can score a box no issue.
Sometimes I wished that I did not get upgraded to First Class and kept my Exit row seat. The box is better than the warm muffin.......
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
Sometimes I wished that I did not get upgraded to First Class and kept my Exit row seat. The box is better than the warm muffin.......
But the warm muffin is so much better than the snack basket
BeeeJay and StuckinITH like this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA 1ok
If available, you could ask for a box from the back.

David
StuckinITH and atword like this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:48 pm

I made 1K for 2019 but I don't think I will try for 2020. I am already preparing for it psychologically.

I don't drink and don't like the snack boxes - although the fresh items, when available by the time they get to the exit rows, will be missed.

Definitely will miss the waived award fees, 1K line and the better irregularity handling the most.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
I just got a select box not having read carefully that the contents changed. That one basically is the old snack basket stuffed into a box. Weird corn snack number 1 meet weird corn snack number 2.
BeeeJay likes this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, EE National
Originally Posted by findark View Post
But nothing beats the cheese box for me 😋
Old Dec 4, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR PP & LTP, National EE
Do they deny you a box in first class if you ask for it?

I was just on a ERJ-175 flight yesterday and the flight attendant pro-actively asked me if I wanted a box from the back before she came around w/ the snack basket. My boss with MP Gold sitting in the 1st class bulkhead was jokingly pissed off at me when we landed and I told him I wasn't hungry as I had a Tapas onboard.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: