Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service Between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany

DENVER, Nov. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL), the U.S. carrier with the most service to Germany, today announced it will begin its 15th daily nonstop flight between the United States and Germany from its hub at Denver International Airport. The airline announced it will begin year-round service between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany, beginning May 2, 2019, subject to government approval. Tickets are now available for purchase on united.com.

United's new service between Denver and Frankfurt is the only nonstop service from Denver to Germany by a U.S. carrier and is the airline's ninth flight between the United States and Frankfurt. United currently operates daily nonstop service between Frankfurt and its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington Dulles.

From Denver, United will connect more than 60 cities across the Western United States including Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Seattle to Frankfurt.

"United is committed to expanding our global network for our customers and our employees and we are excited to continue this growth with the addition of new service between Denver and Frankfurt," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "From the mid-continent United States to the rest of the world, United offers customers more choice and more international flights and destinations than any other carrier."

United Airlines has served the Denver community since 1937 and is the only airline to continuously operate service in Denver – operating 6.5 million flights and serving more than 580 million customers.

"We are appreciative to have such a great partnership with United Airlines and that they continue to grow and invest in Denver with the addition of this new year-round transatlantic service," said DEN CEO Kim Day.
Print Wikipost

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This is excellent news for my Colorado based German employer.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
This is excellent news for my Colorado based German employer.
What's wrong with LH if you don't mind me asking? I used to work for a german company in DTW and I know they preferred LH over the DL nonstops.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BThumme
What's wrong with LH if you don't mind me asking? I used to work for a german company in DTW and I know they preferred LH over the DL nonstops.
I'm guessing it's always nice to have two non-stops. Easier to handle IRROPs. Departure/arrival time difference between UA and LH also provide a little choice in preferred departure and/or arrival times.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
It's too bad the departures both ways are so close to the Lufthansa flights, only 2 hours off. Doesn't really provide new options.

And United has a whole bank of flights that arrive at 4pm that can't connect to this one.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PDXpress
It's too bad the departures both ways are so close to the Lufthansa flights, only 2 hours off. Doesn't really provide new options.

And United has a whole bank of flights that arrive at 4pm that can't connect to this one.
The 4pm inbound bank connects well to the existing LH flight, and UA has another bank of arrivals in the 2:00pm hour, which meet this flight. The new flight also reduces layovers on early arrivals XXX-FRA-DEN and enables connections to LH departures between about 10:30am and 12:30pm, which reduces layovers, permits earlier arrivals and opens a number of cities which only have 1 daily flight. It's also a more business-friendly arrival time for terminators in FRA.

IMO, it's well-timed.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:33 pm

Polaris Lounge? Pretty please?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
I like LH but UA has:
- access to E+ (up to 8 people depending on level)
- better chances at upgrades due to instruments
- better J seat, IMO
- better IRROPS / ability to re-route, SDC, etc
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
That is really great news. Not having a TATL flight option except for LHR in 2018 was always quite annoying. And I know this may not be universally agreed with, but my desire/tolerance for flying LH has gone way down over the last few years. The hard product is horrible to either FRA or MUC on the 747 or A330/340, the food is coming into equal with UA, and the customer service is pretty dry. Yes, I'm saying that UA>LH in this case, crazy.

And I think being a higher end (1K, GS) DEN based elite will really like this for TATL as I think you get more attention as a *G on LH.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by katan
And I think being a higher end (1K, GS) DEN based elite will really like this for TATL as I think you get more attention as a *G on LH.
kind of a contradiction huh
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I’m glad to see UA continuing the invest in the DEN INTL network. While the LH flight is nice, more often than not there is a huge premium associated with it. I’ve booked my Dad four tickets this year from DEN to the Middle East. Each time I try adding the LH nonstop to FRA vs UA to ORD and then UA or LH to FRA and beyond, it typically incurs $2,500++ for J over the connections. I get why, but maybe there will be a slight discount. One can hope.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seanp7
I like LH but UA has:
- access to E+ (up to 8 people depending on level)
- better chances at upgrades due to instruments
- better J seat, IMO
- better IRROPS / ability to re-route, SDC, etc
Good points, except LH is a considerably easier instrument (GPU) upgrade.
PushingTin and findark like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good points, except LH is a considerably easier instrument (GPU) upgrade.
The two notches higher minimum fare might be part of the reason.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The two notches higher minimum fare might be part of the reason.
I have a struggle with the value of GPUs on the LH routes being one segment only. Especially in my case where most of my LH flights are onward to DXB, JNB - or even in the most crazy cases further from JNB to MRU. I'd rather find a better way to use my GPU, especially because those flights involve a long layover in FRA and then still many hours on a plane.

But if it works for you, any time in the front is a good time.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thought this would be nice now that MRY-DEN was brought back...but instead of having it leave MRY at like 5-6am as it used to and arriving at DEN in the morning they made it 12:15 MRY departure and 3:55 DEN arrival. Also sucks if you're trying to get to a ski town flight out of DEN where we could leave MRY in the morning, connect to TEX/MTJ and check into the hotel/vrbo mid afternoon. But I digress....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is a one hour connection in FRA feasible to a Schengen country? The outbound flight is nice because it gets into FRA earlier, which gives us more options to connect to ARN. There is a 10:20am FRA-ARN flight that would be fabulous--if a one hour transit is doable (legal and doable are two totally different things in my book--especially when traveling with two kids). The flight pairs already show up on the website as bookable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.