Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service Between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany

DENVER, Nov. 29, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL), the U.S. carrier with the most service to Germany, today announced it will begin its 15th daily nonstop flight between the United States and Germany from its hub at Denver International Airport. The airline announced it will begin year-round service between Denver and Frankfurt, Germany, beginning May 2, 2019, subject to government approval. Tickets are now available for purchase on united.com.

United's new service between Denver and Frankfurt is the only nonstop service from Denver to Germany by a U.S. carrier and is the airline's ninth flight between the United States and Frankfurt. United currently operates daily nonstop service between Frankfurt and its hubs in Chicago, Houston, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington Dulles.

From Denver, United will connect more than 60 cities across the Western United States including Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City and Seattle to Frankfurt.

"United is committed to expanding our global network for our customers and our employees and we are excited to continue this growth with the addition of new service between Denver and Frankfurt," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "From the mid-continent United States to the rest of the world, United offers customers more choice and more international flights and destinations than any other carrier."

United Airlines has served the Denver community since 1937 and is the only airline to continuously operate service in Denver – operating 6.5 million flights and serving more than 580 million customers.

"We are appreciative to have such a great partnership with United Airlines and that they continue to grow and invest in Denver with the addition of this new year-round transatlantic service," said DEN CEO Kim Day.
Print Wikipost

United teasing DEN-FRA on Social Media [Year-Round 787-8 Confirmed, Starts 5/2/19]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 12:34 am

Walked by the gate at 10 pm and the signs and balloons were still up.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Options are good, but I'm thinking that the DEN-FRA UA metal will be expensive for direct flights- both in miles and dollars. The DEN-NRT is expensive in dollars and miles, and the LHR flight is expensive in miles. At least from my on and off checking from time to time.

Yes, E+ will be nice to have. The LH metal has Premium Economy though. I never picked up that LH tickets that were upgradable were any more expensive than W tickets thru DEN-ORD/EWR-FRA, and their was usually inventory instantly upgradable.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I never picked up that LH tickets that were upgradable were any more expensive than W tickets thru DEN-ORD/EWR-FRA, and their was usually inventory instantly upgradable.
UA and LH coordinate fares, and LH flights require a Q economy fare or an E premium economy fare to upgrade, as opposed to a W economy or an R (LH N) premium economy on United.

If there was a W fare published in the first place -- which there may not have been -- and there was W inventory on the UA flight, it's not plausible that it wasn't cheeper than the LH Q fare. (It's only possible if somebody messed something up pretty badly).
Old May 4, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA and LH coordinate fares, and LH flights require a Q economy fare or an E premium economy fare to upgrade, as opposed to a W economy or an R (LH N) premium economy on United.

If there was a W fare published in the first place -- which there may not have been -- and there was W inventory on the UA flight, it's not plausible that it wasn't cheeper than the LH Q fare. (It's only possible if somebody messed something up pretty badly).
Actually, the last time I did that kind of analysis was two years ago before PE. Doing DEN-FRA-DEN on LH versus DEN-ORD/EWR-FRA and back would price out all over the place on the united site (and differently on the LH site). I would also have placed a bit of a premium in my head on the direct flights- especially compounded by the availability of upgrades on LH versus a GPU lottery on UA metal. Plus I had to book it through a TA, who seemed to be able to finesse things that websites didn't. So a couple of hundred bucks difference on a direct upgraded flight versus a connecting GPU pig-in-a-poke . would have seemed like a no-brainer.
PE, from what I find acceptable and the affect on the costing/availability structure makes things more complex. I took a year off from OCONUS travel and just starting to get the PE impact, though I don't think there is any PE out of DEN, which makes it value a lot less to me.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the last time I did that kind of analysis was two years ago before PE. Doing DEN-FRA-DEN on LH versus DEN-ORD/EWR-FRA and back would price out all over the place on the united site (and differently on the LH site).
Yes, because of inventory differences. In other words, W might not have been available on the flights you were looking at (or, you're remembering the lowest fare, not the lowest upgradeable fare).

I would also have placed a bit of a premium in my head on the direct flights- especially compounded by the availability of upgrades on LH versus a GPU lottery on UA metal.
Understood, although, technically, it's UA and not LH that publishes upgrade availability. It's just that UA often publishes all zeroes, whereas LH will publish saver award space that somewhat correlates with upgrade space.

So a couple of hundred bucks difference on a direct upgraded flight versus a connecting GPU pig-in-a-poke . would have seemed like a no-brainer.
Sure, that makes sense, but it's not accurate to say that the LH fares weren't more expensive. They were; you just felt that they were a better value.

though I don't think there is any PE out of DEN, which makes it value a lot less to me.
There isn't currently a PE cabin on the 787-8 or 787-9, so, you're right; I don't think UA has any PE routes out of Denver. However, if you're considering adding a stop anyway, the PE fares may come into play for you... especially since it's less of a lottery than the W fare. i.e., if your employer authorizes PE travel, you can waitlist a GPU on the lowest available PE fare on UA metal, and if it doesn't clear, at least you're in PE. I recently did this to upgrade into open PZ space, and the R fare was several hundred dollars cheaper than the W fare.
PushingTin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.