Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (November 24-26, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (November 24-26, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
MCI currently shutdown to arrivals because of visibility not actual snow on runways
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
...When I got to EWR we even had to hold for a gate I ran to the bus and to gate C123 but when I got there door closed 7 moninutes esrly, agent said sorry...
Same thing happened to me BOS-EWR-LIM (hydraulic problem out of BOS). Myself and 2 others got to gate about 5 minutes to departure. Aircraft still there, but jetway door closed. Ended up at Hojo w/ vouchers that didn't cover much in way of food. "15 minutes prior" was "15 minutes prior", late connections or not.

To all you waiting to talk to an agent now. Get off. I need to get through
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
SFO-ORD has gone totally sideways. Even the redeyes are delayed. Kicking myself for not taking the SJC-ORD that got off on time (not 100% if it will actually land in ORD though).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Considering that Chicago is now under a blizzard warning, I think there is no doubt the weather waiver was a good idea.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks to the weather waiver, my RDU-ORD-MCI for tonight which completely canceled has turned into RDU-EWR-SFO-MCI. Glad I booked the discount F fare for the original ticket—agent kept me in F, even on p.s.

I am bummed to not get home tonight, but it beats being stuck for two days. Pretty much everything to MCI tomorrow is sold out or canceled.
jsloan and wxguy like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
UA is already proactively cancelling LGA-ORD flights for tomorrow (Mon). It wasn't the flight I was originally scheduled on but now I'm glad I'm routing via IAH. I had to get back in queue for upgrades but both have now cleared for tomorrow.

Travel safe everyone.

-RM
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The routing routes for ORD-PHL are

CHI-EWR/WAS-PHL

How would this work with a weather waive??? A more complex routing on the same days as the waiver??

SDC on the app sometimes offers routings outside the fare rules but word is that is getting tighter also.
Where can one find the permitted routings between city pairs?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
i am only seeing rain in the forecast for Chicago so why do they have a weather advisory for rain. It just seems UA management go onto a panic if is not sunny
there. It’s their job especially on a holiday weekend to get people where they need to go.
UA weather folks are pretty darn good most of the time. I think they called it pretty accurately.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
So I was on the 6:30pm ORD-PHL and switched to the 2:12pm one. Upon boarding they were offering $600 to take the 6:30pm one. I saw one taker but she later boarded anyways. Anyways, it basically just started switching to snow around that time and we had to deice. After my flight, there was a 3:40, 6:30, 9:05, 10:40, 12:10. Checking now, the 3:40 and 9:05 we slightly delayed, the others were all cancelled. If I recall, the later flights had pretty slim seat maps, maybe they were just consolidating flights.

The other thing that crossed my mind was whether there is any communication between the GA who offers the $600 and booking to a specific flight and the operations people who actually decide which flights to cancel. I'm thinking the decision to cancel was probably happening right around the same time. You would think that the company as a whole would try to avoid rebooking you onto a flight they intend to cancel.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usflyer16
Where can one find the permitted routings between city pairs?
I'm not aware of any free tool. ExpertFlyer and KVS Tool both provide access, and any travel agent can look them up.

Originally Posted by eng3
The other thing that crossed my mind was whether there is any communication between the GA who offers the $600 and booking to a specific flight and the operations people who actually decide which flights to cancel.
Not as such, no. Once a flight is cancelled, the GA would no longer be able to put passengers onto it. If, for whatever reason, the network operations team wanted to freeze out a flight without actually cancelling, it, they could mark it F0 Y0, which would likely have that effect (but why do that?). The GA doesn't have a hotline to the ops people to ask "are you planning to operate UA1234," and, if they did, the answer would be "yes;" they plan to operate it until they don't/can't.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Surprised the different approaches airlines take. At MCI today TV News said American and Southwest was canceling all flights rest of the day. United and Delta was going resume after 6 pm.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
O’Hare is totallly dead this morning. There was no line at Starbucks or in TSA Pre line!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:58 am

In Chicago, the snow prediction was totally overblown once again. It was like 3 inches, as opposed to the prediction of up to 13.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by leonidas
In Chicago, the snow prediction was totally overblown once again. It was like 3 inches, as opposed to the prediction of up to 13.
I’m not so sure about that as I got to stay at the Holiday Inn Elk Grove last night (ORD-SNA cancelled). This morning, there was a good 8 inches on the ground, and not a plow to be seen. In fact there was a spin out on the access road from US-12 to I-190.

Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't know about Chicago, but I know here the wind was the issue. Even an inch of snow is a problem with 30 mph sustained winds, and gusts up to 60mph.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.