Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (November 24-26, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Appleton, WI (ATW)
  • Cedar Rapids, IA (CID)
  • Columbia, MO (COU)
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)
  • Des Moines, IA (DSM)
  • Green Bay, WI (GRB)
  • Hays, KS (HYS)
  • Kearney, NE (EAR)
  • Kansas City, MO (MCI)
  • Madison, WI (MSN)
  • Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
  • Moline, IL (MLI)
  • Omaha, NE (OMA)
  • Peoria, IL (PIA)
  • Quincy, IL (UIN)
  • Scottsbluff, NE (BFF)
  • Wichita, KS (ICT)
Rebook by November 30th, 2018.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (likely): 1+

David

Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm on a 6:30pm ORD-PHL on Sunday. I'm also a little short on PQM for next year. Would I be able to change to something like ORD-IAH-PHL assuming there is space? When I search ORD-PHL, it never seems to give me that option so I figure that may violate a fare rule. Assuming if that is true I also don't know if they are allowed to violate fare rules with a waiver.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I'm on a 6:30pm ORD-PHL on Sunday. I'm also a little short on PQM for next year. Would I be able to change to something like ORD-IAH-PHL assuming there is space? When I search ORD-PHL, it never seems to give me that option so I figure that may violate a fare rule. Assuming if that is true I also don't know if they are allowed to violate fare rules with a waiver.
An agent can absolutely put you onto ORD-IAH-PHL, but I don’t know that they would. I’d want to prepare a decent reason as to why the ORD-IAH-PHL routing was the best choice available.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Doubtful. App may most likely give you ORD-IAD-PHL if your fare class is available. If you beg an agent on phone, your chance of success for ORD-IAH-PHL is small. Just give a try! Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan

An agent can absolutely put you onto ORD-IAH-PHL, but I don’t know that they would. I’d want to prepare a decent reason as to why the ORD-IAH-PHL routing was the best choice available.
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Doubtful. App may most likely give you ORD-IAD-PHL if your fare class is available. If you beg an agent on phone, your chance of success for ORD-IAH-PHL is small. Just give a try! Good luck.
From the responses, I guess "need more PQM" is not a good reason. That was my real question. Is it necessary to give a reason to make the change or should they just do what you ask?

Is this the same case for a 24hr SDC?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A good excuse?

How about “my in-laws fly from IAH to PHL on Sunday afternoon and they need some help?”
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
How about “my in-laws fly from IAH to PHL on Sunday afternoon and they need some help?”
HA, I'm not trying to cheat UA. I'm just trying to understand their expectation when you change a flight with a travel waiver or SDC. On one hand, I would think they should just do whatever I want that is within their rules. On the other hand, there may be some "not so clear" rules that I am missing.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HA, I'm not trying to cheat UA. I'm just trying to understand their expectation when you change a flight with a travel waiver or SDC. On one hand, I would think they should just do whatever I want that is within their rules. On the other hand, there may be some "not so clear" rules that I am missing.
But, as you pointed out, it’s not within the rules; you’re asking them to break a fare rule on your behalf. I mean, they could route you ORD-FRA-PHL too, but that’s even less likely.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

But, as you pointed out, it’s not within the rules; you’re asking them to break a fare rule on your behalf. I mean, they could route you ORD-FRA-PHL too, but that’s even less likely.

As I pointed out, I'm not sure if it breaks a fare rule. It might not and UA.com just doesnt offer me the flight. I don't know how to look up fare rules for an already purchased flight nor am I typically able to decipher the rules.
No, there is no FRA-PHL flight. ORD-FRA-IAH-PHL would be entirely reasonable (I assume that would break fare rules)
I'm just curious what are "acceptable reasons" for a change. I've heard of people doing SDC HNL-GUM to HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 24, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The routing routes for ORD-PHL are

CHI-EWR/WAS-PHL

How would this work with a weather waive??? A more complex routing on the same days as the waiver??

SDC on the app sometimes offers routings outside the fare rules but word is that is getting tighter also.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:23 pm

OK, so changes using a weather waiver on the same day require the routing to be equal or less complex?
And SDC is more flexible?

Good to know, thanks
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I pointed out, I'm not sure if it breaks a fare rule. It might not and UA.com just doesnt offer me the flight. I don't know how to look up fare rules for an already purchased flight nor am I typically able to decipher the rules.
OK, as you properly inferred, then, it breaks a routing rule.

No, there is no FRA-PHL flight. ORD-FRA-IAH-PHL would be entirely reasonable (I assume that would break fare rules)
UA9198 departs Frankfurt daily at 12:55 PM and arrives in Philadelphia at 4:10 PM. (Operated by Lufthansa, obviously.

I'm just curious what are "acceptable reasons" for a change. I've heard of people doing SDC HNL-GUM to HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM.
The Island Hopper is a direct flight (same flight number), so as long as you’re not making a stopover en route, there’s no difference between the non-stop and multi-stop routings from HNL to GUM. Technically, UA should collect a fare difference when someone does this, as there’s a special surcharge in the various fares to Asia / Guam that gets activated when you take the Hopper — but that’s the only rule being broken in that example.

Agents have the ability to put you upon just about any flight for any reason that they can defend if they get audited. So, if you’re ticketed from ORD to PHL, and you want to route via IAD, that’s within the rules and doesn’t require a reason. If you ask to go ORD-CLE-IAD-PHL, that’s one more transfer than permitted by the rules, but it’s travel in the right direction and if it was the only thing that was available, or it fit your schedule better, or whatever, it’s likely you could get that done. (Maybe ORD-IAD is full, etc.)

But when you ask to fly via IAH, you’re adding 231% to the traveled distance (2249 miles vs. 678 miles). There are going to be a ton of options that are clearly better by any measure except PQMs. There are only two ways I can see that working — your original flight is cancelled and there’s no alternative that gets you in earlier, or all of the ORD-PHL, ORD-EWR, and ORD-IAD flights are full and you’re able to convince the agent that you need to get out of town ahead of the storm.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How would this work with a weather waive??? A more complex routing on the same days as the waiver??
Anything outside of the routing rules requires an agent to do a manual override, waiver or otherwise.

OK, so changes using a weather waiver on the same day require the routing to be equal or less complex?
And SDC is more flexible?
Sort of? SDC isn’t technically any more flexible by rule. In practice, though, the app is sometimes pretty flexible for SDC. That’s been less true recently, but you may still get some higher-PQM options. As soon as you have to call an agent, though, the waiver and SDC are going to be treated the same — you need a convincing reason to get an agent to help you.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

Ah, I didn't think about having them put me on a partner airline

OK so if I understand correctly, IF I am within original fare rules then I should expect them to accept my request without needing to provide a reason, but if I am breaking a fare rule, I or they will need to have a reason. And that reason seems to need to be more in line with timing (getting in earlier, going on a different day, etc).

And just to stay on topic, I did end up changing my flight to the next earlier flight (3:40pm)
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I didn't think about having them put me on a partner airline

OK so if I understand correctly, IF I am within original fare rules then I should expect them to accept my request without needing to provide a reason, but if I am breaking a fare rule, I or they will need to have a reason. And that reason seems to need to be more in line with timing (getting in earlier, going on a different day, etc).
Exactly. I mean, you can always ask, and the other example in the thread — “I’d like to meet someone who’s on another flight” — isn’t terrible either. But timing is by far the easiest to defend, since it’s pretty easy to make a case that a change which gets you to your destination as quickly as possible is a reasonable one.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you can get the re-route, then be prepared to get to ORD way early. The last flight out of IAH to PHL is departing at 7:42pm (UA1753).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.