Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Hertz via Rentalcars.com Pay at Pick Up but Charged Prepaid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Hertz via Rentalcars.com Pay at Pick Up but Charged Prepaid

Have had a number of bookings using the UA web site. Sometimes my card is charged on a pay at pick-up rental. I spent an hour a few months ago on phone with Hertz and no obvious reason. Worse is after they changed their records the rate increased. Ended up canceling and rebooking and prepaying again. UA apologetic but no joy in fixing- gave me Ecert for more than rental for aggravation so left it. Had some other bookings- no issue. Now made 2 more bookings and 1 being charged. Has anyone else had this? Have anyone figured out why? Just a data point- all my UA/Rentalcars.com quotes are in Euros- maybe because I have a NZ account? Rentals are in both NZ and USA.Hertz confirmation always in USD and say "Amount to be Paid at Time of Rent." Anyone end up with double billings?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any pattern on the rental being in NZ or USA with the problem?
All booked the same way from the same web site?
Does seem a little strange the cost in Euros vs NZ$ or US$
Credit card issued in NZ or USA?

I suspect more of a Hertz problem more than a UA problem
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

The seems to occur only on US reservations but I find very few good rates from them for NZ. I can usually find better discount codes. All booked from the United.com website which refers to Rentalcars.com web site. Comes up in Euros before any Hertz customer number or credit card input. I agree probably a Hertz IT issue but not consistent.

Back to my original: Anyone else run into this and any observations, resolutions ,double billings, cancellations?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Is it actually charged, or just pre-authorized?

Never had that happen, but admit I haven't used United much for rentals since the atrocious Rentalcar.com integration.

And for NZ/AKL I use Ace Rentals.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

The amount was charged on the credit card for a pay on pick up which is months in advance.

The integration (IT part) is fine). The execution seems to leave something to be desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.