Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers have to close overhead bins now...

Passengers have to close overhead bins now...

Old Apr 8, 18, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Passengers have to close overhead bins now?

I fly United quite a lot, but this one's new to me. Flying SIN->SFO, a flight attendant says to my son, who is seated and buckled in the seat behind me: "I need you to get up and close the overhead bin." My son, being courteous and compliant gets up and does it, even though he has nothing in the bin himself.

Later in the boarding process, the purser says on the intercom: "people, if we want to leave on time, you need to get up and close the overhead bins above you." (the flight departed more than 10 minutes early).

Where I come from, "I need you to...." is a brusque, bordering on rude, way to make a request. But that aside, since when did it become a passenger responsibility to close the overheads? What's next: "I need you to distribute meals to rows 1-5...."?
cruisr and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Apr 8, 18 at 5:13 pm Reason: changed title to reflect original intent
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Likely a one-off situation (at least until we hear multiple reports)

Did most passengers ignore it?
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Did you ask whether this was a new UA policy? Your thread title seems to indicate that. More likely a one-off to get the flight moving on schedule while crew deal with other issues.

This is one of those things best dealt with on the spot or not dealt with ever.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíll listen for that one. It is probably a one-off thing. If the OP was on UA2 yesterday, maybe the crew was rushed, as UA1 got in late.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely sounds like the FAs were a little rude about it, no please or thank you. I can see it if they are rushed and say "We are running a little late (or want an early departure to get you home early), so if you see a full bin above you while walking down the aisle or seated, we would really appreciate it if you could help out. Thank you."

But the way they did it sounds rude and not something I would care to hear.
Grog, wrp96 and letsgook like this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Likely a one-off situation (at least until we hear multiple reports)

Did most passengers ignore it?
It looked like they did to me, but not fast enough for the FAs -- I heard a couple of them complaining about it near door 2.

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan View Post
Iíll listen for that one. It is probably a one-off thing. If the OP was on UA2 yesterday, maybe the crew was rushed, as UA1 got in late.
Correct. But the rush was complete overkill. UA2 was already scheduled to arrive nearly an hour early. With the passengers closing the overheads, it left the gate an additional 10 minutes early.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
on 772 with the 8 across J cabin had short flight attendants ask for help with middle bins.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, parole denied, the flogging continues
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
United FA on power trip. Again.
n198ua, jah718, am1108 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bhunt View Post
on 772 with the 8 across J cabin had short flight attendants ask for help with middle bins.
Maybe that's good because if the short FAs lose their equilibrium they would fall on the laps of the passengers in the aisles seats of the middle section...... I already got a tall passenger trying to escape from a window seat, trip on the legs of the passenger near him and nearly fall on my lap on the other side of the aisle. He managed not to do it by griping my seat. Totally startled me, though.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
United FA on power trip. Again.
Wow. The knifes are out for the FA's here (again). Almost definitely a one off thing, as the bins have to be closed prior to takeoff and the ultimate responsibility falls on the FA's. Maybe the FA's had already closed them & then some PAX reopened them with out closing? Either way, small potatoes in the big picture.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Full 787 bins, especially the centerline bins, are difficult to close even with the power assist feature (I don't think it makes much of a difference). The PA was pretty unprofessional, though.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I forget what routing it was, but this happened on a domestic single-aisle AA flight I took either in Jan or Feb. I didn't think too much of it, but I just remember smirking at the level of laziness of the crew on that specific flt. We weren't behind or anything. I admittedly have a slight poor view of FA's in a general sense over my time of working for an airline for a bit.
Old Apr 8, 18, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr View Post
Wow. The knifes are out for the FA's here (again).
well, you know how it is on here..anything that happens on UA once is obviously new policy.

Originally Posted by SpinOn2 View Post
I forget what routing it was, but this happened on a domestic single-aisle AA flight I took either in Jan or Feb. I didn't think too much of it, but I just remember smirking at the level of laziness of the crew on that specific flt. We weren't behind or anything. I admittedly have a slight poor view of FA's in a general sense over my time of working for an airline for a bit.
yeah, but that was AA. Surely you realize that one offs that happen on OALs can be accepted l, while the same on UA is indefensible.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
What’s next?
“For those passengers who want to eat, please line up next the galley to receive your food....and bring back your tray after you are done if you want the plane to land on time. We can not proceed with landing if the trays are not returned”
iluv2fly, cruisr, wrp96 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 8, 18 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 8, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Never ever heard that announcement before.

I'm going to put it in the "one off" bin as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: