Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
I'm on BOS to SFO and I'm delayed due to ATC - due to fires in CA delay is about 30 minutes (for now).
An additional 30 min delay for a full 1 hour delay now.

Last edited by chebert999; Nov 12, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Is LAX suffering delays/cancellations because of the fires? I only see mention of issues at SFO above.

The waiver is now extended through Nov 16 for SFO, BUR, and LAX.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:58 pm

I've been hoping to be able to cancel my int'l flight out of SFO on the 16th. I've seen conflicting reports about it, but I don't suppose cancellations are covered here?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have been watching this with great interest as I am flying SAN-SFO on Thursday connecting to SFO-LHR. My concern is not making the connection. Any updates on flights? I am on the 11.15am flight out of SAN to connect to the afternoon flight and have two hours to connect in SFO.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have been watching this with great interest as I am flying SAN-SFO on Thursday connecting to SFO-LHR. My concern is not making the connection. Any updates on flights? I am on the 11.15am flight out of SAN to connect to the afternoon flight and have two hours to connect in SFO.
Your flight would be included in the GDP issued every day for the past few days, but it's hard to say how UA will prioritize which flights to delay. LAX-SFO flights have seen limited delays, but other "less important cities" may not bode so well. UA also runs their database to see how many could misconnect from each flight, but the fact that there's a later SFO-LHR may diminish your significance.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:24 pm

Flew in from KOA (kailua-kona) to LAX this morning on UA1147. Actually landed about 20min earlier at 4:37am without any problems.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of crazy the new deadline is Thanksgiving Sunday when most flights are probably already full.

Also, the new website has Important Notices on the bottom? Really?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Is LAX suffering delays/cancellations because of the fires? I only see mention of issues at SFO above.

The waiver is now extended through Nov 16 for SFO, BUR, and LAX.
LAX does not have a runway capacity problem like SFO. And it has been good enough for visual operations these days. The waiver includes LAX and BUR probably because of passengers' inability to travel on the ground.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
So apparently they're willing to be flexible -- I misread the waiver and thought it was through Sunday; when I called about changing my Sunday flight from SFO, the agent explained that the waiver was only through Thursday, but was happy to rebook me on a Saturday flight with no charge anyway (I explained that we have two young kids, and want to get them (and us) out of here and into clean air sooner!)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flew into SFO on SQ32 this morning around 8:30 am, and while the smoke didn't look that bad from above, once you were in it visibility was basically nonexistent - I assume because the smoke particles are light reflecting. I'd imagine there will be a traffic management program in place at SFO until we get a strong west wind or a good rain.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
We are scheduled to fly from ORD to PPT on Sunday, with a two-hour connection at SFO (connection was originally three hours, but a schedule change somewhere along the way reduced it). So far, it looks like the ORD>SFO flights are mostly running on time, but this still makes me a little nervous, especially since UA doesn't fly to PPT every day. I know the waiver doesn't cover Sunday (yet), but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to switch to the first (6am) morning flight or the evening before, if and when possible. What would you do? Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ms_go
I know the waiver doesn't cover Sunday (yet), but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to switch to the first (6am) morning flight or the evening before, if and when possible. What would you do? Thanks!
I'd just keep an eye on the situation. It's possible the air will have cleared by then. If UA thinks it won't, they'll extend the travel waiver.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by shawnjeck

Just realized I am on ANA NRT-LAX on a United ticket (016). Would a possible waiver still work?
For the record, even with being in business for NRT-LAX (on ANA) and economy for LAX-DEN, United was able to switch me to the NRT-DEN flight in business using the waiver.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Your flight would be included in the GDP issued every day for the past few days, but it's hard to say how UA will prioritize which flights to delay. LAX-SFO flights have seen limited delays, but other "less important cities" may not bode so well. UA also runs their database to see how many could misconnect from each flight, but the fact that there's a later SFO-LHR may diminish your significance.
Thank you for this.

My SFO-LHR flight is sold out with only five/six Polaris seats available (watching as have a GPU applied for the flight) and similar situation for the later flight although I think even less seats. I have an appoontment in SAN earlier in the morning so unable to move to an earlier flight to SFO. I am also making a connection three hours later in LHR so moving to the later flight to LHR is not really an option although know UA could be flexible on getting me where I need to be. Thank goodness for being 1K.

However, very much a small concern compared to the first responders, for fighters and people losing their loved one and homes.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
On UA420 yesterday (11/14/18) LAX-SFO. Because of the SFO GDP, we departed the gate about 35 minutes late for a 2 pm departure.

Here are some shots of and out of the row 21 port window on our approach into SFO:

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.