Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

"Southern"???
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:04 pm

I arrive in SFO from NRT Sunday morning, then depart to YYC at noon. What’s the forecast for Sunday. I currently like my schedule and would prefer not to change if it’s unlikely to get delayed.
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
email
Important update on your upcoming flight
California Wildfires

United is offering complimentary options to change your flight because of the wildfires in California. Please visit united.com/importantnotices for details.

If you would like to change your flight, please use the United app, united.com or a self-service kiosk at the airport. If you need any additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-United1 (800-864-8331) within the U.S. and Canada.

If you would still like to travel, please be sure to check your flight status on the United app or at united.com/flightstatus before arriving at the airport. We also recommend opting into push notifications on the United app in the event of any changes to your flight.

Thank you for choosing United.
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I got a text message from UA (I'm flying BWI-SFO on Sunday but have now pushed it out to Wednesday)

"United is offering complimentary options to change your flight because of the wildfires in California. united.com/importantnotices"

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Southern"???
Hey, it'll eventually be true, given plate tectonics...
dhuey likes this.

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 9, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by d00little
I arrive in SFO from NRT Sunday morning, then depart to YYC at noon. What’s the forecast for Sunday. I currently like my schedule and would prefer not to change if it’s unlikely to get delayed.
Last I read, no change through the weekend, so bad on Sunday (which would explain the waiver dates).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I got both texts and emails about this. (I'm flying from SAN to SFO on Sunday.) I figure I'll check early Sunday morning to see how bad the delays are and if needed, see if I can go on an earlier flight.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:17 am

Does anyone know if UA 1722 on 11/9 from OGG was canceled due to smoke? The flight looked like it was on time right until the last minute.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Woke up to multiple texts and emails this morning re my flight to AKL tomorrow via a 6 hour layover in SFO on P fare. So I should be able to change to one of the NZ flights via IAH or LAX? BUT according to EF it's nearly zeroed out.

I JUST woke up after a late night and have the SF news, United.com, EF, Seatguru all on my screen and UA on the phone (been on hold). Trying to pound down some coffee to become human again but I could use some advice!

What do you experts think? Should I try to change or do you think everything will be cleared up by tomorrow? How's it look?

Edit to add: Well color me impressed. UA was able to open up a seat for me on the IAH flight even though it's J0.

Last edited by chavala; Nov 10, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Impacts on LH connecting segment

Getting the runaround from UA on this... I have an intra-EU segment so XXX-FRA-SFO. They moved me to an earlier FRA-SFO but the only intra-Europe XXX-FRA available at the time had me with a 5 hour layover. Agent said keep checking if a later XXX-FRA opens up - it now has but only the LH flight number not UA flight number. I’m told it has to be the UA flight number only for the waiver. Is that accurate?

side note - I’m also being spun the intra-EU segment was incorrectly waived earlier as a “courtesy” and shouldn’t have been. So by that logic if I move my FRA-SFO to a week later on Nov 18th under the waiver they won’t move the xxx-FRA and I would be in FRA for a week?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:31 am

Here’s current conditions (0831 local time) looking at T3 and the United maintenance hangar from G96 in the intl terminal. So far looks like departures are on time (as expected) but 20% or so of incoming flights are already posting delays, and I expect it to get worse as the day progresses. On most days, you’d see the South San Francisco Hills in the background, and, on a really clear day, the edge of SF downtown.

Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Getting the runaround from UA on this... I have an intra-EU segment so XXX-FRA-SFO. They moved me to an earlier FRA-SFO but the only intra-Europe XXX-FRA available at the time had me with a 5 hour layover.

Are you changing because you're worried about the smoke causing delays, or just because you want to get in earlier? The odds of FRA-SFO being delayed any more than a few minutes by the smoke are close to zero. In fact, all of todays FRA-SFO flights (2xUA, 1xLH) are scheduled to arrive around an hour early.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m also watching like a hawk. We don’t fly til Tuesday ORD-SFO-PPT. We do have a 3.5 hour layever from 10:30am to 2:00pm. Options to PPT aren’t many, and if we don’t get there somehow by Thursday noon our vacation will be ruined. Any weird routes anyone can think of? If we reroute on the Thursday SFO-PPT that’s too late.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig
I’m also watching like a hawk. We don’t fly til Tuesday ORD-SFO-PPT. We do have a 3.5 hour layever from 10:30am to 2:00pm. Options to PPT aren’t many, and if we don’t get there somehow by Thursday noon our vacation will be ruined. Any weird routes anyone can think of? If we reroute on the Thursday SFO-PPT that’s too late.

Call in and plead your case, maybe flying in on the night before and stay in a hotel (Hotel at your expense)

Air Tahiti Nui, I think only flies to LAX - not that that would even be an option for you with a UA ticket

Your options are extremely limited as you well know
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Call in and plead your case, maybe flying in on the night before and stay in a hotel (Hotel at your expense)
This was going to be my plan if I wasn't able to change my Inlt flight tomorrow. I think UA would be happy to accommodate you. I'd make sure you have a room available before changing anything though.
Or at least change to a much earlier flight from ORD.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Air Tahiti Nui, I think only flies to LAX - not that that would even be an option for you with a UA ticket

Your options are extremely limited as you well know
No waivers for our date yet. Assuming they happen, choices are:

ORD-SFO night before or the 6am flight would give a 5.5 hour layover.
Is SJC as affected? I would be a very short 1:15 connection via Uber, I think not. There is a SJC connection via IAH but for that we may just as well take the 6am nonstop to SFO.
If delayed it would work to fly down to LAX for the 10:55pm Air Tahiti Nui, there should be enough time.

The outlier is is to fly to NRT Japan Air has a flight that could work.
ANZ would work but you can’t get to Auckland without going through SFO or LAX.

Theonly other choice if stuck in SFO is to cool our heels in SFO for 2 nights and then get to our outer island somehow. There does seem to be a flight from PPT, but I can’t make a dummy booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.