Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi Prices keep going up

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I wish UA would offer different levels of service. I'm not entirely interested in paying $45 for the full flight when all I want to do is send some messages via my phone. I'd gladly pay $5-10 for that level of service, and use a heck of a lot less bandwidth than other users.
Originally Posted by hoopics
If I had to guess -- and it's just that, a guess -- UA was encountering an increasing number of flights where utilization of the service was exceeding the aircraft's max bandwidth capacity. If I'm syncing my laptop's outlook after a day off the grid somewhere, I can easily pull down a gig of new data, as a single user, in my first connected hour. And that's without trying to stream audio or video content. Now that's obviously a heavy use case, but a 777-200 could easily have 30 heavy business users in J alone, to say nothing of others in the back.
The easy answer to both of the above is to switch to a data-metered rate instead of a time-metered rate. On a time-metered plan, users have an incentive to cram as much down the pipe as quickly as possible, but not so with a data metered plan. I'd also prefer to spend $10 for 10 MB instead of $40 for 6 hours (price on my last PS flight), since most of what I browse (like FT) is text heavy and data-light.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
The easy answer to both of the above is to switch to a data-metered rate instead of a time-metered rate. On a time-metered plan, users have an incentive to cram as much down the pipe as quickly as possible, but not so with a data metered plan. I'd also prefer to spend $10 for 10 MB instead of $40 for 6 hours (price on my last PS flight), since most of what I browse (like FT) is text heavy and data-light.
I think data metered drives poor user satisfaction, since the average user doesn't know some background app (dropbox, icloud, onedrive, whatever) will sync (since they see the connection as wifi, not cellular) and chew through all the data quickly resulting in the user cut off or hassled for more money.

Also since the airline passenger stuff is such low priority, the volume used isn't so critical since any unused capacity is lost anyway.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Epilog: there were problems with the service on UA919 yesterday so much so that it was basically unusable. I could occasionally get a connection but most of the journey was connectionless. I requested a refund this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.