Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refund when cancelling an United Vacations booked flight with E+ fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,

We just cancelled a flight to PUJ for in Feb. We had purchased exit row seats. $430 RT. We had also purchased trip insurance through United Vacations. There was a deposit of $200.

When cancelling they said we would get the $200 back within 14-21 days. OK. But the $430 we would not get back until 7-10 after the flight is scheduled "because they need to be sure we don't use the seats." WHAT. The tickets have been cancelled and the seats are now open for purchase. Why will we not be able to get our refund until Feb?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This really is a United Vacations and not a UA problem. The two are completely separate and while certainly UA would refund a ticket that is refundable asap when you cancel, rules can be different when you buy bulk tickets with package deals. Did you check the T&Cs?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
cfischer. I now know that they are separate companies. Even though if you want to bundle hotel or car with a flight, and you are on the UA website, you automatically get sent there. And once there nothing tells you they are not in anyway shape or form related. I have read the T&C's. No where in there does it say they keep the payment for seat purchases for 4 months after cancellation. UAV has a link to the insurance policy. Followed that and found nothing. What bothers me is UA can now resell those Exit row seats again and again and keep charging $430 per couple and keep the money for several months. Nice racket.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dm6214
cfischer. I now know that they are separate companies. Even though if you want to bundle hotel or car with a flight, and you are on the UA website, you automatically get sent there. And once there nothing tells you they are not in anyway shape or form related. I have read the T&C's. No where in there does it say they keep the payment for seat purchases for 4 months after cancellation. UAV has a link to the insurance policy. Followed that and found nothing. What bothers me is UA can now resell those Exit row seats again and again and keep charging $430 per couple and keep the money for several months. Nice racket.
If your ticket has been refunded, Im pretty sure you should be able to get your Economy Plus fee back now, rather than waiting. Theres a section on the United.com Refunds page for Economy Plus refunds; have you tried requesting one?

I believe the policy where they keep the money until you fly is only applicable when you make a flight change or cancel a non-refundable ticket.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll be surprised if you don't get the E+ refund within 7 business days. Rather than freaking out now, I'd wait and see what happens. If you don't get the refund within 7 business days (plus perhaps a few days extra cushion), you could file a DOT complaint. I don't believe UA has any justification for holding your monies longer than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.