Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz
Wow!!! This is a really good benefit. After applying a GPU on ORD-GRU, I was able to select a seat in the old GF section, this will be my first, and possibly only time in GF.
Yeah it’s good. I’m in paid J (actually a good P fare) SFO-LHR for Christmas and nabbed seat 1K last weekend when the changed happened. My only previous GF experience on the 772 was for 3 hours (gate to runway to gate to runway to gate) before a mx cancellation at LHR. I was rebooked onto a 763 to ORD next day.

So I’m looking forward to it. And if I do end up in Polaris then 1K is one of the best seats anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
GS/1K can select them for free on a J ticket (any booking code).
I was able to select row 1 on an upgraded V fare.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Aside from the much more comfortable seat on the sUA 777-200, on my last flight, the service seemed to be better/excellent in the ex-GF cabin. Two attendants for 8 seats and overall service was much more personalized and attentive. Frankly, aside from the soup and choice of dressing, I didn’t really notice any difference between Polaris First and the new Polaris business in a GF seat.

Also the new amenity kits are way better than the tins. They’re actually reusable although I wish they were cordura instead of faux leather.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS
After having received a nice GF seat a few days ago for my flight to LHR today, plane is now changed to one of the awful Continental 767
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
After having received a nice GF seat a few days ago for my flight to LHR today, plane is now changed to one of the awful Continental 767
Well, there was also a benefit for United in all of this booking code simplification and zeroing out F . . . easy swaps with no recourse.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Aside from the much more comfortable seat on the sUA 777-200, on my last flight, the service seemed to be better/excellent in the ex-GF cabin. Two attendants for 8 seats and overall service was much more personalized and attentive. Frankly, aside from the soup and choice of dressing, I didn’t really notice any difference between Polaris First and the new Polaris business in a GF seat.
I just got off HKG to ORD and had the pleasure of sitting in the GF seats. The small cabin was still staffed by dedicated FAs and they continue to provide mattress pads at these 8 seats (they are by request "in the back"). Pajamas were also proactively offered. Now I'm actually hoping my next 772 flight isn't polarized, something I would have never thought one week ago.

A few times, the purser referred to the Polaris first cabin, so I wonder whether the FAs know about the change in seating policy.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I just got off HKG to ORD and had the pleasure of sitting in the GF seats. The small cabin was still staffed by dedicated FAs and they continue to provide mattress pads at these 8 seats (they are by request "in the back"). Pajamas were also proactively offered. Now I'm actually hoping my next 772 flight isn't polarized, something I would have never thought one week ago.

A few times, the purser referred to the Polaris first cabin, so I wonder whether the FAs know about the change in seating policy.
Wow!!! This is a really good benefit. After applying a GPU on ORD-GRU, I was able to select a seat in the old GF section, this will be my first, and possibly only time in GF.
Sorry to disappoint you! I notice that ORD-GRU and ORD-PVG are most often served by Polarized B772.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I was told that for the October bid month, the positions on the 3-class 772 aircraft remained the same, with one assigned First galley and one assigned First aisle. I wonder if this will be the same when November 1 rolls around?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by Kmxu

Sorry to disappoint you! I notice that ORD-GRU and ORD-PVG are most often served by Polarized B772.
i would only be slightly disappointed. When I used the GPU I thought it would be on an 2-4-2 config. Either Polaris or global first is a huge improvement on that. Although check out the current seat map, it looks like I’m downgraded to a domestic first class seat lol

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

i would only be slightly disappointed. When I used the GPU I thought it would be on an 2-4-2 config. Either Polaris or global first is a huge improvement on that. Although check out the current seat map, it looks like I’m downgraded to a domestic first class seat lol
I have to say that i would have chosen 2K.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I have to say that i would have chosen 2K.
I was in 2K but switched it to 1K just in case there's a swap to Polaris (to get an odd numbered window seat)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was in 2K but switched it to 1K just in case there's a swap to Polaris (to get an odd numbered window seat)
Good point! I just find it so painful that until things settle we have to be calculating this and that and babysitting every reservation......
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:22 pm

Didn't they use to block 2K or 2A when they were sold as 3-class planes.
Now I'm able to select any seat up there but 6B is still blocked.
Are the crew not resting in any of these old GF seats?
I just don't want to pick one that later will be used as crew rest.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe once upon a time 2A was blocked, but at some point the block moved to 6B. In the waning days of GF as a separate class of service, the pilot could move to F if the flight was going without revenue pax up front, but it depended. Nothing in F was blocked for crew.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
I believe once upon a time 2A was blocked, but at some point the block moved to 6B. In the waning days of GF as a separate class of service, the pilot could move to F if the flight was going without revenue pax up front, but it depended. Nothing in F was blocked for crew.
Correct — the new JCBA that came into effect when the two flight crews merged provided only for a business class rest seat as opposed to a first class seat for consistency on all aircraft types, and for the lifetime of the agreement ... which runs for another couple of years. The company knew F was going away and didn’t want to renegotiate / have to do amendments.

The seat only is made available to pilots when the separate pilot crew bunks (“rest modules”) are not installed on the aircraft — there’s only a small set of 772s without this, and as they are retrofitted with the Polaris seats, proper pilot rest modules are being added. It will soon be only the 767s that don’t have Pilot and FA rest modules, only blocked seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.