Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Next up....say goodbye to the United Club at PHL
Is there any actual evidence or information suggesting this might take place -- r is this one person's personal thoughts on what UA might do?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Is there any actual evidence or information suggesting this might take place -- r is this one person's personal thoughts on what UA might do?
No actual evidence. And I don't think United chopping UAX --PHL-IAD service is going to be the impetus to closing the United Club. Still plenty of flights serving PHL to keep it running....
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Philly 30th Street Station to EWR station is about 1:10 on Amtrak, essentially the same as flying PHL- IAD. And you don't make a train connection unless you count that monorail to get into the terminal at EWR.
”...unless you count that monorail...”. Pretty difficult to discount the probability that that nod to 1970’s technology will malfunction. A lot of times you are better off taking CHOO CHOO CHARLIE to Newark and grabbing a cab to EWR
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
No actual evidence. And I don't think United chopping UAX --PHL-IAD service is going to be the impetus to closing the United Club. Still plenty of flights serving PHL to keep it running....
Not to mention UA runs a United Club in pretty much every domestic competitor hub....ATL, MSP, DFW, SEA, etc. I assume this is to sweeten the deal for people opting away from fortress hub carrier. I guess DTW is the main exception and there is a LH lounge there. By that logic alone I'd expect them to keep PHL UC.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by threeoh
Not to mention UA runs a United Club in pretty much every domestic competitor hub....ATL, MSP, DFW, SEA, etc. I assume this is to sweeten the deal for people opting away from fortress hub carrier. I guess DTW is the main exception and there is a LH lounge there. By that logic alone I'd expect them to keep PHL UC.
no Uncle Charley in CLT despite flights to every hub but SFO (not considering LAX). Zero desire by UA to compete with AA there despite AA running 5-7 mainliners to EWR and 3-5 to IAH. And please don’t talk to me about “conscious parallelism” this close to Halloween
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
To follow up my earlier postings in this thread, I just re-ticketed my ORD-EWR-HAM-FRA-PRG itinerary to an ORD-EWR-PRG itinerary all on UA metal. The EWR-HAM R class upgrades were quickly and efficiently switched to confirmed front cabin on EWR-PRG, even though no PZ space was open currently on that flight for our day of travel. Hopefully true Polaris seats will have made an appearance on this 763 by next summer.

Thanks to all those who provided useful input to help with this reticketing.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by threeoh
The other thing to keep in mind is the history behind UA and PHL. At one time PHL was considered a focus city for UA and was one of the few non-hub airport maps included in the back of the Hemispheres magazine. Also, back when USAIR was still in existence and part of the Star Alliance, it was a major code share partner for UA and one could have reciprocal membership in the UA and US clubs.
Of course since US left the *A and merged with AA and UA was eaten up by CO, things have changed, but I hope UA will continue to see the value of their presence at PHL. There are a fair number of high value UA flyers out of that airport that I'm aware of. We still also have two other *A carriers: AC and LH (although business class fliers on LH can use the AA lounge in Terminal A).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
In regards to the PHL-IAD route: I've sent a letter to both Oscar & Customer Care stating reasons why they shouldn't take it away. I really don't want to take my business back to AA, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Here were my reasons:

1) The route was just upgraded to larger planes a year ago, only to be taken away (???). It's surprising since United wants to actually increase connections through IAD.
2) More PHL-IAD connections were being offered than PHL-ORD or PHL-IAH, hence more connection possibilities.
3) Cheap connections aren’t the ideal motive to cancel such routes, since American flies DCA-PHL 2-4 times a day and those are basically for connections.
4) Removing PHL-IAD (and BWI-EWR) routes gives up virtually all market share between BWI and southern NJ going anywhere to the East Coast and Europe -- funneling United flight options to ORD or IAH for the Southeast (aka clients having to fly these routes will most likely not choose United. (Why would anyone unless forced to?).
5) With the cut of the PHL-IAD, BWI-EWR, and now LAX-DFW service, it's obvious that United is running away from competing with American...
6) Despite the delay/cancellation chances of IAD-PHL, IAD is still a far more reliable airport than EWR. EWR is a run-down & complicated nightmare, and the train (ZFV) going up there isn't much better.

I urge others dependent on this route to express their own concerns in similar fashion, in hopes that United will reconsider. Thank you.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Well I'm planning a move to DFW and wondered why there aren't any DFW-LAX into the summer to fly back home to visit. Now I know why...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by DBam
In regards to the PHL-IAD route: I've sent a letter to both Oscar & Customer Care stating reasons why they shouldn't take it away. I really don't want to take my business back to AA, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Here were my reasons:

1) The route was just upgraded to larger planes a year ago, only to be taken away (???). It's surprising since United wants to actually increase connections through IAD.
2) More PHL-IAD connections were being offered than PHL-ORD or PHL-IAH, hence more connection possibilities.
3) Cheap connections aren’t the ideal motive to cancel such routes, since American flies DCA-PHL 2-4 times a day and those are basically for connections.
4) Removing PHL-IAD (and BWI-EWR) routes gives up virtually all market share between BWI and southern NJ going anywhere to the East Coast and Europe -- funneling United flight options to ORD or IAH for the Southeast (aka clients having to fly these routes will most likely not choose United. (Why would anyone unless forced to?).
5) With the cut of the PHL-IAD, BWI-EWR, and now LAX-DFW service, it's obvious that United is running away from competing with American...
6) Despite the delay/cancellation chances of IAD-PHL, IAD is still a far more reliable airport than EWR. EWR is a run-down & complicated nightmare, and the train (ZFV) going up there isn't much better.

I urge others dependent on this route to express their own concerns in similar fashion, in hopes that United will reconsider. Thank you.
Great. Will do. When you say "sent a letter," do you mean a physical letter, or did you just email?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
do you mean a physical letter, or did you just email?
Thanks for supporting this. I sent two separate emails to both the CEO (for those who don't know the email, it's "first name [dot] last name @ united [dot] com") as well as customer care.

Edit: It would probably be better to submit a physical letter, if you have the time

Last edited by DBam; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
CLE-BOS 3x daily on 145's ending March 7. Delta picking up April 1 on 175's. Frequency TBD
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
The SFO to CMH is the best thing I have heard all year!! This changes so much for me in a good way.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DBam
In regards to the PHL-IAD route: I've sent a letter to both Oscar & Customer Care stating reasons why they shouldn't take it away.
I'm sending letters too..! The PHL-IAD made so much more sense than being bottlenecked through further connecting hubs! They didn't even ADD to # of flights for PHL-IAH/ORD. Did they just assume capacities would simply dissipate rather than shift? Why United why??
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Not the focus of the initial announcement, but noticing some other reductions now when booking travel.

DAY-EWR is down to 1 flight a day, at least so far on days when I am looking. Has been 2 flights daily for quite some time.

And CVG-EWR now has several 50 seaters in the schedule, which used to be all (or nearly all) 2 cabin UAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.