Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why United's pacific-route business class loading is always high?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

I'm just curious. United is the only one among all carriers from the US to Japan that uses non-direct aisle access seat (which makes it worse, 2-4-2 config for ORD-NRT) and I personally think United's service level is also the lowest among everyone. Why its loading is always so high (which is really obvious when compared to AA or DL)? I understand that Japanese carriers have higher loading because they do provide higher level of products almost everywhere, but UA? I just don't understand why its crappy hard product (I'm taking about the 2-2-2 config or the 2-4-2, not the new polaris which isn't used too much) can have like more than twice loading than that of AA or DL (sometimes is even slightly higher than JL!), almost everyday for LAX-TYO.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA's business class product is now generally quite strong. Yes the 2-4-2 seating is not the best but it's only on a few planes now and, despite all the moans on FT, the seats are quite comfortable (I think more so than on the newer 787s. The issue is you have to climb over people (or be climbed over) but the way the seats are set up, it's really not that difficult. The Polaris lounges are excellent and IMHO, UA is now up there on its Business Class product. With its *A miles and MP program, it's quite a compelling proposition for those who aren't simply occasional flyers.
FlyingHoustonian likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by doglynx
I'm just curious. United is the only one among all carriers from the US to Japan that uses non-direct aisle access seat (which makes it worse, 2-4-2 config for ORD-NRT) and I personally think United's service level is also the lowest among everyone. Why its loading is always so high (which is really obvious when compared to AA or DL)? I understand that Japanese carriers have higher loading because they do provide higher level of products almost everywhere, but UA? I just don't understand why its crappy hard product (I'm taking about the 2-2-2 config or the 2-4-2, not the new polaris which isn't used too much) can have like more than twice loading than that of AA or DL (sometimes is even slightly higher than JL!), almost everyday for LAX-TYO.
ewr-nrt is new Polaris full time
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:35 am

I think you also need to take into account the J seat reduction from the withdrawal of the 747-400s. It takes time for competitors to adjust and for customers to consider alternatives.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is well priced for large corporate contracts which are the "engine" which drives TPAC traffic. There is a large and healthy route network with many options. The thread count of the hot towels isn't a major factor outside of FT.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:55 am

Because the majority of the people in those seats are business travelers and they’re paying for a convenient schedule. Their employers are likely paying for it and many of those employers have negotiated discounted prices in exchange for a certain volume. I’m in DC and I know a lot of people who travel to London Monday- Friday every week for work, paying j fares of $10k-$13k toundtrip for work. They get on the plane in dc fall asleep then wake up in London and go to work. They don’t care about all the stuff people complain about endlessly here, and the ua seats, even the dreaded 2-4-2 , are comfortable and enable sleep. These are the people who drive the paid j business. Not those who come here and complain endlessly about certain service standards while traveling on upgrades or deep discounted j class tix.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Don't discount that United has hubs at the 4 largest cities in the nation, all with huge asian populations
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doglynx
Why its loading is always so high (which is really obvious when compared to AA or DL)?
Can you cite the statistics you are relying on for this assertion?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
If you are starting your trip from anywhere outside SFO-LAX, you're pretty much compelled to either interline or go with United. Some like me, also fly domestically and to Europe. There's an advantage to accumulating miles/status in one place, even if it is a crappy airline like United.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:29 am

At least on those 4-across planes, there is an escape hatch for high $ travelers: The F cabin. If you are GS or even likely 1K on a D+ fare, you have a very good chance of being able to upgrade yourself to the best seat in the UA fleet today. Or, your plane is swapped to Polaris config. Win-win.

Certainly that isn’t the case for most, but it is one reason UA keeps its high value folks happy.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I still think United Mileage Plus program is a factor, since EQD and credit to million miler status needs to be on UA. USA travelers that are tied into MP - have no choice to preserve status. Those who are buying J and granted Global Services status are going to continue to fly UA J.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Easiest upgrades? Best corp discounts?

If you've got the worst product, you can still fill the cabin with price.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is a combination of corporate contracts, route network, MileagePlus (not the program itself is necessarily better but it ties you to UA ) and Star Alliance.

Product-wise, with real Polaris, I think they just need to make sure there is consistent good service and better food to actually be above most of the competition. Unfortunately, if they cared about these things, they would have done it already.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
United offers wonderful discounts on its corporate travel agreements. That is why they can operate as the greyhound of the skies. My employer pushes its US based employees to fly United. I pay for my own TPACs and it is an anyone but United. I note that Delta the elegant lady of the skies has maintained competitive pricing for east coast originating TPACs, and I pick Delta over United whenever I can, so I am biased.
I also find that US nationals prefer US flag carriers.I see it in the premium cabin reflected in the pax mix. In talking with colleagues, when I ask them why they didn't use superior airlines like EVA or ANA or JAL, I get a blank look or some cringe worthy responses. If it was just pricing, they would be flying on the awful carriers like Air China and China Eastern, which can often be less expensive than United. (And yes, I too would fly United ex USA rather than those carriers.)
aquanine likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I think you would find quite a few of us prefer EVA over United. Problem is you can't buy their tickets on United.com except award tix.

ANA is also very nice, but you have to be careful, so of the connections from Japan are on older angle flat or barca lounge planes (I haven't flown them in a while, so they have been phased out)

I fly UA for the miles accumulation for Vacation, No one else has a network like Star Alliance and I can live with UA for business so I can vacation easier with my family.
jasondc and trooper like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.