Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooking of canceled LH route

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by mauld
No notice from UA, but my flight from Madrid to EWR totally cancelled due to mechanical issues. Only found this out morning of flight when checking seat assignments. (Checked in yesterday). At airport long lines and was able to be booked on a DL 210 to JFK by airport staff arriving same date, but at 7:30pm rather than 2:00pm. When I asked about compensation due to the 6 hr delay in getting home and the expense of getting to NJ from JFK, was told "sorry, nothing can be done". I'm in the Cibeles Lounge now, waiting 5 more hours for my DL flight. Any recourse or suggestions?
PS... its now 12:36pm here in Madrid, and I've yet to receive even one e mail or text from UA ( aside from how to download entertainment for my 'flight'), yes, I'm rebooked on DL, but never received any communication from them. It's not just me, others in line while waiting for rebooking, mentioned it as well.
This is a double post. My comment in the other thread about whether you asked for the DL flight or they just gave it to you remains relevant. Further, since this was an EU-USA flight, you are due substantial EC 261 compensation. UA likely will not offer it proactively, you will need to request it. Keep all of your documentation to submit.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
EC261/2004 states that Lufthansa is on the hook to provide you an alternative at the time of your convinience.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
EC261/2004 states that Lufthansa is on the hook to provide you an alternative at the time of your convinience.
Incorrect as there was more than 14 days notice given.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by myb821
Incorrect as there was more than 14 days notice given.
That doesn't change the fact they need to arrange an alternative flight - as they have done.

However EU261 specifically states that they are required to arrange an alternative flight to the same destination - which is exactly what they have done (that destination being SJC).

The OP's ask is instead to be routed to a different destination (SFO) which is NOT required under EU261. It's a valid ask (especially given the fact they are changing that leg from a non-stop as there are now no non-stops FRA-SJC), and one you would expect the airline to honor, but it's NOT something that they are legally required to do...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
For the original routing:
I have managed to get a 1K rep who fixed that for me. HUCA worked.

I have yet another problem with the same flight (different date). I booked my daughter and my significant other on the same flight for Dec 22 using UA miles. The booking was done way back in January and March respectively (two different records). My daughter got rebooked just fine to a LH flight from SFO. My SO was rebooked as well, but then her SFO-FRA segment fell off and was brought back as "waitlisted". I can't get anyone to get that fixed. LH says I need to call UA. UA 1K desk says there is a note on the record from LH that they won't issue that ticket (not sure why). Tried HUCA but the best I got was the rep who started looking for alternative connections (finding none).

What should I do to get that fixed? Obviously, since this is award space, there is nothing available right before Christmas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.