FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Rebooking of canceled LH route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1934765-rebooking-canceled-lh-route.html)

miro Oct 9, 2018 4:23 pm

Rebooking of canceled LH route

LH 488 FRA-SJC got recently canceled. United rebooked me on a connecting flight through ORD. Obviously, I'd prefer to get a direct FRA-SFO flight. I called 1k desk and they said they can't change my destination to SFO without repricing the ticket (which of course skyrockets the price). Is that actually correct, or should I try calling again?

docbert Oct 9, 2018 4:33 pm

Did this happen day of flight or in advance? How much notice were you given, and hot much later does your connection via ORD get in?

miro Oct 9, 2018 4:36 pm

The flight in question is booked for December. LH488 was getting into SJC at 1:20 PM. Now I am getting to SJC at 10:20 PM (9 hours later).

docbert Oct 9, 2018 4:43 pm

Technically they don't need to do anything extra for you. You've been given more than 2 weeks notice so no compensation is due, and they have arranged a flight to the same airport. You DO have the option of obtaining a full refund if you'd prefer, but otherwise that it.

Having said that, a good agent should realize that SJC and SFO are 40 miles apart, and sending you to SFO would be a valid reroute. Hang up and call again, and ask for a supervisor if you still don't get anywhere, but at the end of the day if they so no then you've got no resource other than the cancel the entire trip for a full refund.

jsloan Oct 9, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by miro (Post 30297310)
LH 488 FRA-SJC got recently canceled. United rebooked me on a connecting flight through ORD. Obviously, I'd prefer to get a direct FRA-SFO flight. I called 1k desk and they said they can't change my destination to SFO without repricing the ticket (which of course skyrockets the price). Is that actually correct, or should I try calling again?

They can change the destination to SFO, subject to availability on LH. They're not required to do so.

Is this an outbound, a return, or a one-way? SJC-FRA is priced as a free add-on to the SFO-FRA fare, so if there's fare availability in the same fare class, the "repricing" should result in nothing but a possible tiny difference in taxes.

miro Oct 9, 2018 4:52 pm

So the full itinerary was SFO-(UA)-LHR-(LX)-ZRH and then ZRH-(LX)-FRA-(LH)-SJC, bought on united.com. All in the dreaded P class. There is no P available now. There are seats available in J on both LH and UA metal going FRA-SFO that day. So the flight is a segment of my return flight.

HNLbasedFlyer Oct 9, 2018 4:57 pm

I suspect because the flight is permanently eliminated as of late Oct - they were probably selling deep discounted seats that don't have the same availability on the SFO route. Sure, try again - but if LH doesn't have availability you are probably stuck with the new routing or a refund.

GoSh4rks Oct 9, 2018 4:59 pm

I had a saver Y award on SJC-FRA that got switched automatically switched to LH metal SFO-FRA. I called in and was able to get them to put me on UA metal SFO-FRA. CSR had to check with a supervisor to force open the space.

jsloan Oct 9, 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by miro (Post 30297392)
So the full itinerary was SFO-(UA)-LHR-(LX)-ZRH and then ZRH-(LX)-FRA-(LH)-SJC, bought on united.com. All in the dreaded P class. There is no P available now. There are seats available in J on both LH and UA metal going FRA-SFO that day. So the flight is a segment of my return flight.

OK, got it. So, if there were P available, there'd be no fare difference (assuming they used historical fares, which I'd expect). Without P, it's a bit tougher...

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 30297412)
I had a saver Y award on SJC-FRA that got switched automatically switched to LH metal SFO-FRA. I called in and was able to get them to put me on UA metal SFO-FRA. CSR had to check with a supervisor to force open the space.

... but, yeah, if you're OK with UA metal, this is likely an easier sell.

Often1 Oct 9, 2018 6:04 pm

Because the route was cancelled, there are almost certainly specific instructions which set the parameters of what an agent may do. It is nonetheless worth a call and a go round with a supervisor.

GoSh4rks Oct 9, 2018 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30297469)
... but, yeah, if you're OK with UA metal, this is likely an easier sell.

Probably my biggest point was that they sent me to SFO by default, instead of staying with an SJC departure.

cfischer Oct 9, 2018 7:05 pm

they can put you on UA metal to SFO, that should not be a problem. Getting you on LH to SFO is a different story.

Kacee Oct 9, 2018 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30297469)
if you're OK with UA metal, this is likely an easier sell

Better hard product by far on UA with the 77W.

jsloan Oct 9, 2018 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 30297692)
Probably my biggest point was that they sent me to SFO by default, instead of staying with an SJC departure.

Totally missed that point. :)

mauld Oct 10, 2018 3:57 am

UA 50 MAD-EWR 10/10 Cancelled

No notice from UA, but my flight from Madrid to EWR totally cancelled due to mechanical issues. Only found this out morning of flight when checking seat assignments. (Checked in yesterday). At airport long lines and was able to be booked on a DL 210 to JFK by airport staff arriving same date, but at 7:30pm rather than 2:00pm. When I asked about compensation due to the 6 hr delay in getting home and the expense of getting to NJ from JFK, was told "sorry, nothing can be done". I'm in the Cibeles Lounge now, waiting 5 more hours for my DL flight. Any recourse or suggestions?
PS... its now 12:36pm here in Madrid, and I've yet to receive even one e mail or text from UA ( aside from how to download entertainment for my 'flight'), yes, I'm rebooked on DL, but never received any communication from them. It's not just me, others in line while waiting for rebooking, mentioned it as well.