Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Today we’re introducing a few updates for members with MileagePlus Premier® status — some of which are already in effect and some that will come later. These updates include added benefits related to boarding groups and baggage allowances, as well as adjustments to our upgrade structure and Premier 1K® status qualification requirements.

Better boarding

Effective on September 18, 2018

· Premier® 1K® members will be called to board during pre-boarding ahead of Group 1

· Premier Gold members will now board with Boarding Group1, previous in Group 2

Baggage allowance for Premier members

Effective on September 28, 2018:

All Premier® members, regardless of Premier status, will receive the same standard weight allowance for checked baggage: 70 lbs. (32 kg.)

Additionally:

· All Premier members flying in United Business®, United First®, or United Polaris® business class are allowed up to three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Gold members flying in United Economy® between the U.S. and Europe are allowed three bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

· Premier Silver members flying in United Economy between the U.S. and Europe are allowed two bags with a maximum weight of 70 lbs. (32 kg) per bag.

Premier qualification requirements

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· Premier qualification dollar (PQD) requirement for Premier 1K status will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000.

· P-class fares will earn 150% Premier qualifying miles (PQM), reduced from 200%.

Premier upgrades

Effective on January 1, 2019:

· The way a Premier 1K member earns additional upgrades will be changing. For every 25,000 Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or 30 Premier qualifying segments (PQS) after qualifying for Premier 1K status, we’ll add one Global Premier Upgrades into your account. No additional Regional Premier Upgrades can be earned after qualifying for Premier 1K status.

More details can be found here: www.mileageplusupdates.com

- UA Insider
Originally Posted by mrt88
Good news! I got written confirmation from 1kvoice on the below:
We will honor 200% Premier Qualifying Mile (PQM) accrual for tickets purchased before September 28, 2018 for travel on/after January 1, 2019.

• A manual adjustment to 200% PQM accrual for P-fare flown segments can be made post-departure at the customer’s request.
• Any tickets purchased after September 28, 2018, for travel on/after January 1, 2019 are only eligible to receive 150% PQM accrual.

Related threads
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]
Partner P fare earning after 1 Jan 2019
Print Wikipost

Updates to MP Premier Program -1K PQD $15K, P fare 150%, fewer RPU, Bag waiver & more

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Thanks ... Well that's a relief ... but what if I fly 150K with only $14K of spend next year ... I get 6, not 8 GPUs?
If you don't requal for 1K but are a LT 3MM 1K, yes.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by johnsmith
I have 3 kids and use the ~25 instruments I receive every year--I typically take the family to europe (10 GPUs roundtrip) and upgrade everyone to Florida or Caribbean (10 RPU roundtrip). My wife and I tend to take a trip (4 more RPU/GPU roundtrip). I'm lucky enough to be able to buy first when I travel domestic and international (don't bother flaming away...I tend to be on planes more than most FAs...
Its not going to make me stop flying UA, but the loss of the RPUs is a big deal for me. Hard to understand the logic on this one as there aren't that many of us earning 300k PQMs a year, spending $50k+ that it makes sense nickel and diming that group. kind of a weird business decision
I get it (as a previous 1K), but this behavior may be what they are trying to bring an end to. You have many more upgrades than I did, but your $50K and my $12K maybe doesn’t mean as much if we are giving them out to family and friends. If given out to no status people it’s lost revenue on E+, bags, TOD’s, etc. If we’re simply using them for ourselves than the cost is no big deal, but losing out on charging people for all of the “other” revenue because a GS or 1K upgraded said person is money lost By UA.

Airplanes seem to be very full, until the economy goes south, a seat not taken by your family/friend is likely to be filled by someone willing to pay the tod rate. Your $50K isn’t nearly as valuable as what you think it is in this economy.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Oct 1, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by johnsmith
there aren't that many of us earning 300k PQMs a year, spending $50k+
Don't take this the wrong way, but GS are not exactly in short supply these days.

And I suspect UA would rather see $75k and 150k PQM (just as they'd rather see a $35k 1K as opposed to my $15k).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
My understanding is that the O,A,R designation for P+ has not been definitively confirmed. However, it is a credible rumor, so I am not expecting to see anything different, just wondering about other possibilities. I may have missed an official communication, though.
Correct, but the person who posted the information would have been in a position to get direct confirmation from people at UA who are in the know. While anything's subject to change, this particular rumor seems solid.

Originally Posted by username
Right now, these are the Star Alliance common classes:

First F, A, O
Business C, D, I, R
Economy Y, B, M, H, Q, X, N, V, W
This is incorrect.
A is an economy fare on AC, TK, CM, and OU, premium economy on NZ, SK, and LO, and business on AV and A3.
O is a premium economy fare on NZ, AC, and LO, and is economy on TK, CM, A3, OU, ET, and SK.
N is a premium economy fare on LH, OS, and AC.
R is a premium economy fare on SQ and LO.
F is an economy fare on OU and a business fare on LO.
Y and B are premium economy on SK.

There's a good chance I missed some.

I believe that the only *A requirement is to use I and X for business and economy awards, respectively. O is used for three-cabin first awards on airlines that offer first class, but isn't restricted to that purpose.

The fact that "R" is called out as a non-earning fare class on most airlines suggests to me that it may end up being used for Y+ awards on airlines that offer them.

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Does the P fare PQM downgrade extend to OAL, like LH, LX, etc?
Not yet (at least, they hadn't made that change as of Friday). However, I think it would be beyond reckless to make plans based upon this continuing. The only reason they're at 200% now is to provide parity across the JV; UA will be rolling P down to 150% across the board as soon as practical given whatever agreements they have to update.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is incorrect.
A is an economy fare on AC, TK, CM, and OU, premium economy on NZ, SK, and LO, and business on AV and A3.
O is a premium economy fare on NZ, AC, and LO, and is economy on TK, CM, A3, OU, ET, and SK.
N is a premium economy fare on LH, OS, and AC.
R is a premium economy fare on SQ and LO.
F is an economy fare on OU and a business fare on LO.
Y and B are premium economy on SK.

There's a good chance I missed some.

I believe that the only *A requirement is to use I and X for business and economy awards, respectively. O is used for three-cabin first awards on airlines that offer first class, but isn't restricted to that purpose.

The fact that "R" is called out as a non-earning fare class on most airlines suggests to me that it may end up being used for Y+ awards on airlines that offer them.
Yes, it is kind of strange. The Star Alliance Reference Guide under Booking Class Alignment lists them for all the member airlines. It seems individual airlines are re-purposing them as you have pointed out even though they are supposed to be aligned. I guess there is also a translation table somewhere that is not published.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by username; Oct 1, 2018 at 2:16 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is incorrect.
You are both right.

As username mentions, these are the "*A common booking classes," for whatever they are worth.

You are right to point out a few of the many carrier-specific exceptions to those common booking classes.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:43 am

As a GS who loves my RPUs, there are two truths I can acknowledge: 1) There is no reason P fares should ever have been awarded 200% PQMs (especially while Y fares got 150%), and 2) There was a severe glut of RPUs in the UA ecosystem that had to be hurting CPUs in comparison to other airlines, leading to dissatisfied elites below GS.

Both of those changes hurt me, but are entirely logical and I can live with them.
aCavalierInCoach likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by eng3
I wonder how the bean counters at UA are calculating the savings from this devaluation. Sounds like they are estimating the cost of a GPU or RPU much higher than in reality where there are cases it might be $0 or negative.
The way I value them, is that they are like the 20K miles to upgrade, less the $550 or so copay, but offset by the fact that you have to buy a higher fare which almost cancels out the value of not making the co-pay. And I have used a couple for domestic upgrades, so those are worth about $150 - $200 or so. Plus, I have always used them up at booking. So generally, I'd say they are worth at most about $300 apiece to me, or $1800 total. I will miss them. And I will still fly UA if it is the cheapest international business for where work takes me. But if UA thinks it can compete on quality, I think that will fail. The Polaris seat might be good - I've yet to sit in one after dozens of flights - but its F&B and service are sub-par, and I've yet to enter a Polaris lounge, either.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by adambrau
Over the years I had many RPU's lost and unused. So now we only earn 4 - not a deal breaker but not sure why the change. Maybe to make them clear for the road warriors as others have said?
Reduce the number that expire unused so that people gripe about losing only 4 RPUs instead of a dozen.

Originally Posted by exerda
Not if they don't release more R inventory. Less RPUs and less 1Ks are meaningless if UA isn't opening up R.
+1. If a good percentage of RPUs are expiring anyway, then reducing their number doesn't really enhance availability of upgrades (except maybe on flights people use an RPU only because it would expire anyway - short flights in December for example).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have no issue with reducing the number of 1Ks since there are too many (easy for me to say of course since I'm 1K for life). Even as GS, I rarely get upgraded, even when using a RPU on a full Y fare (yes - RPU does make a difference on a full Y fare) so I don't really care about RPUs. I do use RPUs and GPUs for my kids but it isn't easy to find flights where they ill work.

I'm typing this as I sit in the back of a CR7 on its way to San Jose, on a full fare ticket. There are 4 other GS fliers in the back of the airplane with me. None of us are even in economy plus.

I'm not sure what the airline industry's logic is for all of this but as a result of de-valuing everything, my spend on United will be $50,000 less that what it could have been (and what it was last year). If I purchase a business class ticket to Asia I'm as likely to fly on Emirates or someone else. 1K/GS means absolutely nothing.
Silver Fox and benewr like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
$15K is a killer for me.

My company lets me travel business, but frankly United P fares to Asia out of BOS has been very pricey compared to the competition. AC comes out as the cheapest on virtually all flights, and by a wide margin. On the top of this, AC J is like Polaris, but at each and every seat to APAC. And then for India Swiss and Lufthansa come up at the top.

In fact, even when you find good fares on .bomb, it is often for LH and AC with UA codes.

Not great for my lifetime stats but... seems clear to me loyalty is a losing game at this point. If the debate is between going Y on United or paid J on any reasonable carrier (yes, I am even looking at you, cheap PVG flight on MU from JFK), it is not even a debate for me. A bed is a bed. As long as it is not ridden with bugs I take it (BA had trouble with these for some reason).

And for the poor souls being asked to go coach international (I spent 9 years doing this, I hear your pain), then I am not sure how you are supposed to manufacture $15K spend. I mean, Y to Asia is perhaps $1.5K and has not budge much, right? And now with the Nightmareliner (in Y at least!) or the 777 10-across sardine can, you can only look forward to a truly miserable long haul. So, clearly, 1K is for people traveling in business first and foremost. What GPUs do for us? Not much. They were worth gold before, but if I was still in that situation I would be very sorry now and do everything I could to score at least premier Y if not cheap J. Sorry but cattle class has just become unlivable for long haul.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by skidooman
$15K is a killer for me.

My company lets me travel business, but frankly United P fares to Asia out of BOS has been very pricey compared to the competition. AC comes out as the cheapest on virtually all flights, and by a wide margin. On the top of this, AC J is like Polaris, but at each and every seat to APAC. And then for India Swiss and Lufthansa come up at the top.

In fact, even when you find good fares on .bomb, it is often for LH and AC with UA codes.

Not great for my lifetime stats but... seems clear to me loyalty is a losing game at this point. If the debate is between going Y on United or paid J on any reasonable carrier (yes, I am even looking at you, cheap PVG flight on MU from JFK), it is not even a debate for me. A bed is a bed. As long as it is not ridden with bugs I take it (BA had trouble with these for some reason).

And for the poor souls being asked to go coach international (I spent 9 years doing this, I hear your pain), then I am not sure how you are supposed to manufacture $15K spend. I mean, Y to Asia is perhaps $1.5K and has not budge much, right? And now with the Nightmareliner (in Y at least!) or the 777 10-across sardine can, you can only look forward to a truly miserable long haul. So, clearly, 1K is for people traveling in business first and foremost. What GPUs do for us? Not much. They were worth gold before, but if I was still in that situation I would be very sorry now and do everything I could to score at least premier Y if not cheap J. Sorry but cattle class has just become unlivable for long haul.
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I have used 10 RPUs so far this year, for myself and traveling companions. So under the new system six allocated upgrade seats that I used would have been available to others (assuming no change in inventory). So I think it will be easier to get RPUs to clear, especially late in the year when lots of people are trying to use up their expiring ones.

I think the key reason to increase the PQD threshhold to $15k is because 6 GPUs is simply too large a “rebate” to provide to customers spending only $12k. If you are able to use them - which I have - they are still an exceptional benefit. AA reduced their “rebate” in the form of systemwide upgrades for EXPs from 8 to 4. I am glad United chose to increase the PQD requirement instead of reducing the number of GPUs.
if I spend an average of $250 each way for W fare cost factor on TPAC to use my GPU’s there is another $1500 in revenue UA gets.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by skidooman
So, clearly, 1K is for people traveling in business first and foremost. What GPUs do for us? Not much.
Interesting point - if you need to fly paid J to make 1K PQD and GPUs no longer have any use from J (no F cabin), the benefit really is only for family/friends of 1Ks.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I assume the P devaluation will hit partner tickets as well - while I can usually find Z for a small incremental upcharge over P domestic and make the decision after analyzing the math of cost vs extra PQM earned, the difference between P and Z on international tickets is substantial by the thousands.
Has this been confirmed? Just checked the Partner Airline pages for LH, LX, AC and ANA and they still reflect earning at 200% for P fares as of 10/1. I'd like to think they will remain at that level which will just give me even more incentive to book on partners rather than UA. Or, maybe those pages just haven't been updated!

I already have several international trips on partners in P fare class for 2019 and those PQMs look like they're unchanged, again as of midday 10/1...
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Has this been confirmed? Just checked the Partner Airline pages for LH, LX, AC and ANA and they still reflect earning at 200% for P fares as of 10/1. I'd like to think they will remain at that level which will just give me even more incentive to book on partners rather than UA. Or, maybe those pages just haven't been updated!

I already have several international trips on partners in P fare class for 2019 and those PQMs look like they're unchanged, again as of midday 10/1...
No, but UA is well known to change the earnings on a ticket post-purchase, and I would be shocked if they leave the JV partners at 200% for P.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.