Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Old Sep 24, 18, 7:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 290
UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

I posted in the boarding process thread about how a recent itinerary I had featured a teal-colored boarding pass (both in the app and in Apple Wallet) as opposed to the usual white background in app/navy blue wallet card. Today, I noticed another passenger had an orange colored boarding pass.

Iím wondering if anyone knows what the colors signify or if we can try to crowdsource what colors exist and what they correspond to?

For starters, thereís the teal color I received. I was in group 1 (platinum). There also exists an orange one, but I donít know what group the passholder was in. Itís also possible that the color hinges on something other than or in combination with the boarding group.
rmannion is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 7:48 pm
  #2  
S.R
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: EK Gold
Posts: 687
AFAIK orange is basic economy (im sure 99% sure)
S.R is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 7:49 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,206
Originally Posted by rmannion View Post
I posted in the boarding process thread about how a recent itinerary I had featured a teal-colored boarding pass (both in the app and in Apple Wallet) as opposed to the usual white background in app/navy blue wallet card. Today, I noticed another passenger had an orange colored boarding pass.

Iím wondering if anyone knows what the colors signify or if we can try to crowdsource what colors exist and what they correspond to?

For starters, thereís the teal color I received. I was in group 1 (platinum). There also exists an orange one, but I donít know what group the passholder was in. Itís also possible that the color hinges on something other than or in combination with the boarding group.
BE thread is too long for me to check, but believe BE BPs are orange to call out theyíre on a BE fare and have restrictions. Donít think itís new - believe this has been the case since BE fares started.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 7:54 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,158
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
believe BE BPs are orange to call out theyíre on a BE fare and have restrictions.
So if you only have a black-and-white printer, do they remove the restrictions?
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 10:43 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 290
Ah, thanks for the confirmation about what orange is. As I mentioned in the other thread, my teal pass corresponded to a basic transatlantic fare (which doesn't have a fee for carry-ons... yet).
rmannion is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 11:57 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 774
This brings back memories of the "gold" BPs from 2000s
GRB051111 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 1:45 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 55,696
Originally Posted by GRB051111 View Post
This brings back memories of the "gold" BPs from 2000s
Except this time the non standard colors are equivalent to scarlet letters
GRB051111, n198ua, atword and 1 others like this.
uastarflyer is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: West
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 213
Sometimes if you print from a universal checkin kiosk, you can get some weird colors. I've gotten a red United logo at PEK once.
BullishGS is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6,803
Originally Posted by erickliu View Post
Sometimes if you print from a universal checkin kiosk, you can get some weird colors. I've gotten a red United logo at PEK once.
Cool. Where have you found a universal kiosk at PEK that handles UA? I never noticed any of the ones along the entry-nearest wall/barrier (overhanging the arrivals floor) that showed a UA logo.
fumje is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:57 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by GRB051111 View Post
This brings back memories of the "gold" BPs from 2000s
I'm super old school but I really LOVED those BPs. Printed on hard stock and all in Gold, it just looked and felt special, even if it really wasn't.
DawgmanOH is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 9:10 am
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 5,119
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
How many people still use paper BP's?
I do. When UA's system is down, paper boarding pass is the only back up. Granted it rarely happens. When it does happen, you wish you had a paper boarding pass to get through TSA security check and board your flight.
am1108, royng, greg99 and 10 others like this.
1KChinito is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:24 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
I absolutely use paper BPs. I check in online and print them at the airport. I have twice (in the last year, even) been in airports where the printed boarding passes were invaluable. When something goes crazily wrong, a printed boarding pass is definitely worth it.
DawgmanOH is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:43 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,105
BE boarding passes are in orange even if you're in BG1/BG2 because of status, which is confusing because the carry-on restrictions don't apply to you.
threeoh is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 10:52 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jax, FL, USA; Sheffield, UK; Aarhus, DK
Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
So if you only have a black-and-white printer, do they remove the restrictions?
Sadly no. As far as I'm aware, United forces people flying basic economy to check in at the airport to ensure the carry-on luggage situation is being abided by and to issue these boarding cards. So no print at home option for basic economy.
AStarr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: