Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Experimenting with Different Colored Boarding Passes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

For personnel in certain overseas stations definitely.

When you went to the UC in NRT and wanted to take a shower, did they still ask for a BP to hold onto? They did for me in June. I sure as heck won’t leave my phone with them.
Oh, yes, that is a very good point!

Originally Posted by Often1
No, a PDF image is not sufficient for a checkpoint. Unless your checkpoint is in the new pilot program in which case you don't need a BP at all.

Either paper or e-BP.
I see. Yes, I agree with you. In This case a PDF image won't work.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 2:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:56 pm

I always use digital BP for domestic single-carrier flights, because I've found it's pretty reliable and TSA knows what they are. And I always use paper if there's an international leg or any partner segments, as I've found it's pretty unreliable that every line dragon, security, customs, immigration, lounge, secondary security, tertiary USA-only security, and contracted gate agent knows what's going on with a mobile BP.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How many people still use paper BP's?

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
Contrary to your belief, paper BPs are not for the travelers to use for boarding, but other things else.

1. As a traveler frequently on HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO, CBP needs my paper BP of GUM-HNL for immigration purposes. The GAs at HNL need my HNL-SFO BP to properly recheck my baggage at HNL customs.

2. Whenever I standby for a flight, GAs always print out the paper BPs to work on my reservation.

3. GAs use paper BPs to remind them new seat assignments for those who get upgraded.

4. I used paper BPs to claim downgrade compensation.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And, don't worry for me, I can count in the single digits. I can even count to 20: 10 fingers and 10 toes......
You forgot to check your able-bodied privilege!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
For a typical flight I'm on, I'd say 75-80% use paper BPs.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked in for a flight tomorrow and my mobile BP is the usual color.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

I suppose that it has value for those who can't count in the single digits.

"Please take a moment to look at your boarding pass.... Unless it is printed in gold, sit down"
My first impression was that coloured boarding passes might be for the (intended) benefit of the gate staff rather than the passenger.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

I always get a paper BP. I like hard copy in case there’s a problem. Plus, I’ve got a drawer at work that must have 1000+ boarding passes, so I’m just adding to my collection. I guess you can call me old school on this one.
Ha ha, me too! Hundreds (thousands?) of them!!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
When you went to the UC in NRT and wanted to take a shower, did they still ask for a BP to hold onto? They did for me in June. I sure as heck won’t leave my phone with them.
I did this with an electronic boarding pass at NRT a few months ago. They copied my flight info and details from my phone.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am a greenie and do get concerned about the number of trees that are destroyed but recycled paper is a half way step.
I wouldn't get concerned - paper is renewable and recyclable. Almost all paper comes from forest "farms" these days. Cut down a tree, plant a new one. It's like saying you're not going to eat bread anymore because they're "destroying" the wheat farms.
BThumme likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Who still uses a print-at-home boarding pass? Almost all of the paper ones I see are kiosk generated.

I would guess that the usage is, in descending order: Mobile -> Kiosk -> Print-at-home
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I also use paper BPs, cardstock if I can get one without a hassle, although I frequently board with my mobile BP since I've already safely stashed the proper one.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:46 pm

I see over on the Delta forum that there was a massive IT outage today, one effect of which was that people with paper BPs were boarding just fine and people with mobile boarding passes were having to show identity by photo ID or verifying seat number.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...locations.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I prefer paper BPs. Simple reason is sometimes I'm on the phone while boarding, so it's much easier to hand the agent a BP versus fumbling with my phone which is on my ear. I'll use mobile if I'm not checking a bag and a kiosk is out of the way.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

I always get a paper BP. I like hard copy in case there’s a problem. Plus, I’ve got a drawer at work that must have 1000+ boarding passes, so I’m just adding to my collection. I guess you can call me old school on this one.
I'd call you a hoarder, not old school.

Originally Posted by cranky1K
Ha ha, me too! Hundreds (thousands?) of them!!
Yeah, you too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.