Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mile Play Promotion (9/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh United, why do you hate me...

5 premium cabin trips
$2,000 each
140,000 miles

For comparison, my previous one was 18,000 files for 3 premium cabin trips with the same minimum.

Now whilst the award this time is enough to actually be worth something, the simple fact is that I've probably booked 2 trips THIS YEAR that met that criteria - there's zero chance I'm going to be doing 5 more in the next 6 weeks...
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Oh United, why do you hate me...

5 premium cabin trips
$2,000 each
140,000 miles

For comparison, my previous one was 18,000 files for 3 premium cabin trips with the same minimum.

Now whilst the award this time is enough to actually be worth something, the simple fact is that I've probably booked 2 trips THIS YEAR that met that criteria - there's zero chance I'm going to be doing 5 more in the next 6 weeks...
did your offer specify whether the $2000 is for a round trip or a segment?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by walkertalk322
did your offer specify whether the $2000 is for a round trip or a segment?
'"Trip" is defined as each unique travel itinerary as documented by United with a confirmation number.'

So if booked as a round-trip, then the entire round-trip is the minimum $2000.

For more expensive trips it would be possible to split into multiple "trips", but in most cases that's cause the price to jump given how UA normally prices international business class.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just got the notification in the app for "MilesPlay" for the first time. But it appears to be some kind of joke: spend $1100 on a premium ticket and get 2200 miles? I can get nearly that many miles by just buying the premium ticket with my United Club card. Promotion fail, as far as I am concerned. From reading the thread it seems like my offering is drastically less than the usual.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
My +1’s offer is ONE, yes ONE segment thru EWR with no set spend for 9K miles. Bleep I will start, stop, or pass thru EWR at least 9 times during the promo.
PS: She hasn’t flown a Paid segment in two years.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Sep 22, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1 premium cabin trip for 25K Minimum purchase of $1500
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
2 premium cabin trips for 20k, minimum of $450. Doable, but I only have the last two weeks of October to book them due to previous bookings so I don't think I'm going to be able to make it happen.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Katlor
Just got the notification in the app for "MilesPlay" for the first time. But it appears to be some kind of joke: spend $1100 on a premium ticket and get 2200 miles? I can get nearly that many miles by just buying the premium ticket with my United Club card. Promotion fail, as far as I am concerned. From reading the thread it seems like my offering is drastically less than the usual.
Checked the app again and it's actually worse than I thought: for buying a $1100 premium ticket I only get 1600 miles, which is less than I get for buying the premium ticket with my United Club card. To get two thousand more miles I have to buy the premium ticket and sign up for the X app and buy some stuff with miles. Basically United is saying to me, please do not do this promotion.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
'"Trip" is defined as each unique travel itinerary as documented by United with a confirmation number.'

So if booked as a round-trip, then the entire round-trip is the minimum $2000.

For more expensive trips it would be possible to split into multiple "trips", but in most cases that's cause the price to jump given how UA normally prices international business class.
very interesting, thanks. I have found domestic roundtrip pricing to be the same as 2 single one ways, but didn’t appreciate that internationally 2 one ways end up being more expensive than one roundtrip.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:13 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dc2005b
I thought this was surely spam until I came here and saw this thread. My offer was for 68,000 miles for 1 trip in premium cabin before 10-31-18. Like others I have other travel already booked for the fall where this might have been a decision point if received earlier.
Mine was similar: 81,000 for 2 trips, at least $2,000 spend. I didn't bite, since all my travel to the end of the year is already booked. But then I get an email from United saying "You're registered for MilePlay. Let the fun begin".
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Anyone with a foreign based MP account get targeted for the Mileage Play promotion?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
31,000 miles for two $450 flights. Actually, very tempting as I have one flight for work already booked in that time period.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kluau88
Anyone with a foreign based MP account get targeted for the Mileage Play promotion?
I haven't been targeted for a single promotion since leaving the U.S.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Major G
31,000 miles for two $450 flights. Actually, very tempting as I have one flight for work already booked in that time period.
Flights booked before activating the promotion dont count
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Book and take a trip 1 time by October 31, 2018 to get 5,700 bonus award miles.

Shame I just booked a trip shortly before this offer. Nothing else currently planned by the offer end date.
The good news is I have just unexpectedly been told to book a work trip in October. The bad news is, to meet my Mile Play criteria, I need to spend $350 (and that's $350 for just the "Fare" element of the total ticket price. For the trip I need to take, it's impossible for me to get the Fare above $300. If I spend an additional $50 on Economy+ seat upgrades, will that make me qualify? See terms below. I'm not sure if there's a difference between a E+ seat upgrade, and an actual cabin/ticket upgrade. ???

I have made bold relevant terms
Originally Posted by https://promotions.united.com/offers/mileplay

4. The final fare amount for the Trip will be used to determine satisfaction of offer requirements, including itinerary changes that result in an increase or decrease to the fare and paid upgrades that result in an increase to the fare.

For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United® and United Express® will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by Star Alliance™ member airline or a United MileagePlus® partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.