Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR long international layover, best lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: MillagePlus

Hi, I know this has been discussed a bunch but I could not find a thread that answered my specific question, sorry if this has been covered!

Long layover at EWR, it's our connection for outbound international flight (also UA). Currently economy tickets though hoping upgrades clear.

I have Priority Pass and United Club membership. Wife is 1k so also has *A Gold. If we not in a premium cabin, is the United lounge our best option or are there some nicer *A lounges elsewhere?

If our upgrade does end up clearing (Polaris branded business), I believe we can go to the new Polaris lounge and that would probably be the nicest option?

Thanks for all your help ... new here and I'm just mad at myself for not finding this forum sooner, it has been really helpful!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
If your upgrade clears the Polaris lounge is far and away your best option. If it doesn't clear I'd recommend the United Club on the right hand pier (gates 70 to 90) of C terminal rather than the dreadful pop ups. Going to another terminal is an option and I understand the LH lounge in B terminal is good but I haven't used it.
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, the best option would be the Polaris Lounge, below are some threads on the other options

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Best United Club at EWR?

Access to LH Lounge at EWR includes the SAS lounge
However the LH & SAS options requires changing terminals
fx12002 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 7, 2018 at 12:24 pm Reason: repaired links
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Acastus
If your upgrade clears the Polaris lounge is far and away your best option. If it doesn't clear I'd recommend the United Club on the right hand pier (gates 70 to 90) of C terminal rather than the dreadful pop ups. Going to another terminal is an option and I understand the LH lounge in B terminal is good but I haven't used it.
The LH Lounge in Terminal B is good but small (the food is better than the UA UCs but obviously not better than the UA Polaris Lounge). And it also depends of the time that the OP is arriving in EWR as it only opens in the afternoon: maybe at 1:30 PM.
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I can confirm the LH lounge opens at 1:30pm. While small, I haven't experienced any crowding issues even in the late afternoon/early evening with LH group departures.

IMO, the lounges worth trying at EWR are the Polaris lounge, LH, SAS, and UC in Terminal A. I haven't tried the Art & Lounge (landside in Terminal B) or the Maple Leaf Lounge in Terminal A.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Another (not free unless your are lucky) is

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Another (not free unless your are lucky) is

New Invitation-only restaurant "Classified" at EWR.

+1 - Agree with this very much if you do not have access to the Polaris lounge. It's nice and quiet and food quality is decent -- prices a bit steep but it is EWR....
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MillagePlus
Thanks, everyone! Classified looks interesting... I tried signing up with my wifes MP# (1k) as well as mine (nothing) but was told nope (or some variation of we may email you later). I'll def. look for an email from them but reading the above thread, doesn't seem clear who they let it.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I can confirm the LH lounge opens at 1:30pm. While small, I haven't experienced any crowding issues even in the late afternoon/early evening with LH group departures.

IMO, the lounges worth trying at EWR are the Polaris lounge, LH, SAS, and UC in Terminal A. I haven't tried the Art & Lounge (landside in Terminal B) or the Maple Leaf Lounge in Terminal A.
Terminal B:

LH can get really busy between 4pm - 6pm, there are bunch of TATL flights leaving then. The lounge is small

SK lounge is larger but subpar IMO.

Sounds like the OP is on a UA flight. If so, then these lounges are not worth it with the likely need to security at Terminal B. No TSA Pre (only Pre Lite). Also, as noted, Art & Lounge is located landside.

Terminal A:

Also TSA Pre Lite like Terminal B. UC and MLL are not connected. You can bus over from Terminal to C to the UA Club but not the AC MLL.

OP's best bet is UC at Terminal C, or Polaris if the upgrade clears.
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Any feelings on the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse? Available to Priority Pass members from 2pm-6pm.
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If you do not end up in J (and therefore able to access Polaris lounge), I would either go to Classified or take the bus and spend time in the UC in Terminal A.
fx12002 and narvik like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
My vote would be UC in Terminal A also.
Then again, I only ever experienced it almost empty. Was a nice lounge then.
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MP
With the credentials you currently have and assuming you have enough time, I'd head over the the LH lounge, which others have said, requires you to transit between terminals. Next up will be SAS lounge, also in the same terminal as LH lounge. (bother are accessible via your wife's *G). Art and lounge is fine with your PP, but I wouldn't recommend due to the depressing windowless atmosphere. If time limits, I'd just stick with UCs in terminal C. If your upgrade clears, of course, Polaris would be #1 .
fx12002 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:18 pm

I've got a 5 hour layover in EWR in March supposing my incoming AC flight **knocks hard on wood** is on time (hence I'll be arriving in the segregated AC Terminal A @ EWR). Couple quick questions, here:
  1. Would I be able to access the MLL upon arrival at EWR since I've got an outbound (UA EWR to LHR) later that day?
  2. Do I have enough time to visit the LH and SK lounges in Terminal B (I'm guessing I'll need to clear security there cause of bus dragons and re-clear security in Terminal C)? Is it worth visiting those lounges? Are there showers in those lounges?
  3. Are there any other things worth exploring/seeing at EWR during the layover? Perhaps I'll have enough time to head to the nearest Dollar General to pick up a can or two of Jolt Cola, something I haven't experienced since 2006 and which apparently is now available exclusively at Dollar Generals.
Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fx12002
Thanks, everyone! Classified looks interesting... I tried signing up with my wifes MP# (1k) as well as mine (nothing) but was told nope (or some variation of we may email you later). I'll def. look for an email from them but reading the above thread, doesn't seem clear who they let it.
If all else fails you can probably walk up and get in. At least I have never heard of anyone being turned away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.