Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process

Old Sep 4, 18, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Is there someplace that shows what seat number your PMCO seat will become if the aircraft gets swapped for a Polaris 763?

I.e. I am in 1D on PMCO and if it gets swapped for Polaris 763, 1D will become XX. etc etc.

I want to make sure I dont get stuck in one of the angled seats..... like a friggin coffin.
Old Sep 4, 18, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, H.O.G. Life Member
I've been in 1D twice when switched to Polaris, First time I was moved to 1L. Second time it was 3F, but later 3L opened and I move to that. So don't think there is a hard and fast correlation, probably depends on the status of your traveling companions on the flight and some algorithm they run.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Gold
I've been switched from 1D to 2D when the aircraft changed to a Polaris configuration. I was less than thrilled as it seemed to me that 1D (non-Polaris) ought to have mapped to 1F (Polaris). Worst yet, the aircraft then was switched back to a non-Polaris configuration and I found myself in 2B with 1D occupied by someone else. Fortunately, 1A was unoccupied so I was able to at least change to a seat with a larger than average footwell.
onthesam likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
At least from these examples it seems that the switches for the 763 keep the passengers close to their original seats. My one experience for the 772 was way more spread out in the cabins. Original seat in the 772 was 6J. Switched to a converted 772 put me in 11G. I switched myself to 3A. Switch back to a non converted 772 put me in 10A. Every seat was taken by that time. Then, at the airport, I requested switch to 10B and two hours later to 10C when those seats opened.
Old Sep 4, 18, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Is there someplace that shows what seat number your PMCO seat will become if the aircraft gets swapped for a Polaris 763?
lol that's a good one!

Whatever number the monkey hits with the dart.
SkiPremier, gene2632 and In2ishn like this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
... to be completely pedantic, Continental never operated 767-300's. They had ordered a few of them at the same time as their 757's but never actually flew them. I think they got so far as being painted... so there may be a rogue photograph out there of a 767-300 in Continental colors, but it never flew for them ...
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Sep 4, 18, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
... to be completely pedantic, Continental never operated 767-300's. They had ordered a few of them at the same time as their 757's but never actually flew them. I think they got so far as being painted... so there may be a rogue photograph out there of a 767-300 in Continental colors, but it never flew for them ...
Well, to be completely, completely pedantic, OP did phrase it this way, "...Is there someplace that shows what seat number your PMCO seat..." (bolding mine). Didn't UA retrofit the 763s w/ pmCOs BF seats? If so, there is a pmCO seat on a pmUA plane that might get swapped to a Polaris equipped a/c .
dmurphynj, Icydubloon and chavala like this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Well, to be completely, completely pedantic, OP did phrase it this way, "...Is there someplace that shows what seat number your PMCO seat..." (bolding mine). Didn't UA retrofit the 763s w/ pmCOs BF seats? If so, there is a pmCO seat on a pmUA plane that might get swapped to a Polaris equipped a/c .
Ha! I haven't been on a 763 in a long time... last time it was actually in a GF seat, so I stand (or, rather, sit) corrected!
Old Nov 10, 18, 2:58 am

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
UA 767-300 C-Class reseating logic in case of change from LieFlat to Polaris config

I am going to fly with a family of 3 on UA 767-300 in C class. Seatmap actually shows LieFlat ac configuration. Actually reserved seat 1D, 1L and 1K.
How are seats re-allocated in case of ac configuration change to Polaris?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 18 at 10:41 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Nov 10, 18, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD Diamante, Global Entry, H.O.G. Life Member
This was asked in another thread. I don't think there is any logic, or if there is, no one understands it!. I have been reassigned twice when switched to true Polaris. Both times I was originally in 1D. This first reassignment put me in 1L, the second time I was put in 3F.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ent-chart.html

Last edited by qfrodo; Nov 10, 18 at 3:47 am Reason: add link to other thread
Old Nov 10, 18, 4:37 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by athome View Post
I am going to fly with a family of 3 on UA 767-300 in C class. Seatmap actually shows LieFlat ac configuration. Actually reserved seat 1D, 1L and 1K.
How are seats re-allocated in case of ac configuration change to Polaris?
You made me smile at your use of the word logic in the thread title, thank you!

In my experience it is either random or, perhaps, some new, secret, scatter methodology which UA IT folks have developed.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 10, 18, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj View Post

In my experience it is either random or, perhaps, some new, secret, scatter methodology which UA IT folks have developed.
I thought they were still doing it by throwing darts.
Old Nov 10, 18, 6:19 am

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
eeny - meeny - miny - mo
Old Nov 10, 18, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by uanj View Post
I believe they utilize an extremely sophisticated algorithm which is designed to maximize passenger anger and inconvenience.
Old Nov 10, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I believe they utilize an extremely sophisticated algorithm which is designed to maximize passenger anger and inconvenience.
Certainly been my experience, and last time it happened to me, it wasn't even a configuration change, just one 772 to an identical 772. You'd think in that situation they'd do a one to one mapping, but noooo, can't have that now can we. lol

Search this Thread