Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canforce
Flying AMS to ORD on the 12th. Seat layout is for 2-1-2 on a 763. However in the Ammenities section it says business is a 1-1-1 layout.

When I look up the info on the plane it says it is Fleet Number 6456 which is a new polaris equipped aircraft. Does this mean that the seatmap will switch over to a true polaris seat map in the next few days?
Theoretically. It's very unusual for there to be a frame assignment that far out, so I wouldn't read too much into it. It could very easily be a different frame come departure.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow, that's pretty bad. If I am reading the fleet update page correctly, looks like they are right at 50% of the conversions completed. Luck of the draw, I guess...
Actually, the pmUA subfleet, which OP was on for ORD-NRT, is more like ~80% converted (26 of 33).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I was moved from 1K to 1L. Definitely prefer 1K! Moved to 3L
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dkc192
Actually, the pmUA subfleet, which OP was on for ORD-NRT, is more like ~80% converted (26 of 33).
Ah, OK. Further along then I thought.
Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dkc192
I ended up on the old version for my NRT->ORD this week. All the Global First seats were taken by the time I could check in (first leg was on TG), so bummed I didn't get to sit in them one last time.

But slept great on the old business class seats. Forgot how comfortable they are for sleeping. No personal space or storage, but slept almost the whole flight.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My LHR-IAH flight for the end of March has switched to a Polaris-ized 772 (the outbound 5 days earlier still shows PMCO config). Is it normal for a switch to occur this far out? Do I happen to have my return flight after the retrofit is completed?

As a data point, our seats (even though separate tickets) stayed close to the same from 3D/E to 3D/G (but weirdly the 3D went to 3G and the 3E went to 3D)

update: it appears that beginning 3/28 for IAH-LHR and 3/29 for LHR-IAH the route is dedicated to Polaris configured 772. This change occurred with the update overnight Saturday

Last edited by txaggiemiles; Jan 20, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
My LHR-IAH flight for the end of March has switched to a Polaris-ized 772 (the outbound 5 days earlier still shows PMCO config). Is it normal for a switch to occur this far out? Do I happen to have my return flight after the retrofit is completed?

As a data point, our seats (even though separate tickets) stayed close to the same from 3D/E to 3D/G (but weirdly the 3D went to 3G and the 3E went to 3D)

update: it appears that beginning 3/28 for IAH-LHR and 3/29 for LHR-IAH the route is dedicated to Polaris configured 772. This change occurred with the update overnight Saturday

I don't think it's just the IAH-LHR route - from the looks of things it is all international 772 routes ex-IAH switching over on 3/28. Premium Economy is being sold on those routes from 3/28 as well. I was searching for a flight to Tokyo over the weekend and noticed it had the new Polaris layout. On further inspection after noticing this, my seat allocation had changed for an IAH-LHR journey in early April.

Based on the retrofit pace it looks like they will have only a couple of non-retrofitted 772s remaining. Not sure whether they will try to keep those pre-retrofits off the IAH routes going forward as it would be frustrating to get a last minute swap-in for the old style!

As for the seat reallocation itself, I was in 1D for both legs but ended up in 1L for IAH-LHR but 1G for LHR-IAH. Luckily 1L was still available so I snagged it.
txaggiemiles likes this.

Last edited by mattg85; Jan 20, 2020 at 2:10 pm Reason: Edit: correcting start date to 3/28
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This thread's been a bit quiet lately, so I'll chip in a data point. LAX-IAD got swapped from a non-Polaris 788 to a Polaris one. I was in 3L and somehow got re-assigned to 2L, to my annoyance. 3L-5L show up as blocked on EF for some reason.

Last edited by dkc192; Aug 17, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:32 pm
HAF

789 Old Fauxlaris seat mapping to Polaris

Hello All -

We are booked an SFO-IAH-EZE-IAH-SFO mid Feb returning back in early March. Equipment for the IAH -EZE- IAH was changed from true 777 Polaris to Fauxlaris 789 a few weeks back. I am traveling with my spouse so we are ok-ish with 2K and 2L IAH-EZE and 2A and 2B EZE-IAH for the time being with seat map being 2-2-2. From other threads it seems that 2-3 days prior to our flight we might find out if we will be to the new Polaris 789 1-2-1 config.

Do we know how United maps seat assignments from the old configuration to the new? I am trying to see if I can change our seats now, guessing what the mapping algorithm is, so that we have a few options instead of ending up next to the lavs with no other options 1 day prior to our flight.

Thank you
--HAF.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HAF
... Do we know how United maps seat assignments from the old configuration to the new? ,,,,.
FT has been trying to reverse engineer that and so far no luck
HAF likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just got a Fauxlaris 789 downgrade 48 hours before departure. I'm bummed out, as I'm traveling solo...going to stick with it, though. Not worth the stop...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Just got a Fauxlaris 789 downgrade 48 hours before departure. I'm bummed out, as I'm traveling solo...going to stick with it, though. Not worth the stop...
They just got me SIN-SFO.

NOT HAPPY.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:29 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
They just got me SIN-SFO.

NOT HAPPY.
What flight were you on? I just returned earlier today.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
How many 789s are still not Polarized?
I had this happen to me in my most recent US-NRT rounstrip flights. Both inbound and outbound flights switched to old confiurations within 48 hours.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
How many 789s are still not Polarized?
I had this happen to me in my most recent US-NRT rounstrip flights. Both inbound and outbound flights switched to old confiurations within 48 hours.
4 more to go according to this. Tail numbers in green at the bottom of the 789 list:
https://sites.google.com/site/united...s-mod-schedule

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.