Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2 [until September 18, 2018, after which Gold and Platinum both Group 1]
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits if 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

Plat is the highest level still eligible for Chase MP-branded credit card spend waiver of PQD requirements.

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Related threads
[Consolidated"I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous thread(s)
Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2017 Consolidated]

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2018 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Home airport is IAH (Houston) and flying to Dulles quite a bit ( I could change it to Chicago or Newark....)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JHake10
.... I have the PQMs for 1K, but only the spend for Gold.....
With a Chase PQD spent wiaver, you could get Plat.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With a Chase PQD spent wiaver, you could get Plat.
I suppose, but then I'll have more UA miles. While not a bad thing, I like my AMEX MR. Took advantage of that VS transfer and booked ANA F RT SFO-NRT for ~82,000 AMEX MR. Beats 110k each way with UA.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This thread has suddenly become meaningful to me again as I currently project to finish 2018 with 69k EQM. Would definitely do a mileage run if I knew I could =RPUs on transcons at booking instead of rolling the dice.

Originally Posted by naumank
In light of the boarding process change, do folks still think Plat is worth more than Gold? I, for one, was going to do a mileage run to reach Plat but now I am most likely stick to Gold this year. Group 1 is the only benefit I care about. Now Gold gets Group 1.
No question Plat lost some value as Group 1 is really Group 2 now that 1Ks pre-board @sfo closer to Group 3 due to hordes of GS and 1Ks, LOL). So BG1 has zero value over Gold now. As for the other perks I would value as follows:
  • 2 RPUs @ $150-200 each (I value higher for transcons than midcons, but easier to use on latter) = $300-400
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority = $0 (rarely clear as 1K @sfo)
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion ($0 - used to have significant value for me but none now thanks to lifetime 1MM status)
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x = $0 (I rarely check 1 bag per person and never check 2 except on ski trips)
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare) Assuming $12k EQD valued @.015 per mile = $180
  • $50 award reservation changes if <60 days (v. $75 for Gold) = $0-200
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability = $0
So for me minimum total value is $480-780 depending on how many awards I change and how I use RPUs.

Marginal value of 1K is much higher as I get unlimited award changes, 6 SWUs plus higher RDM on EQD.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Boraxo's analysis may be on the mark prospectively for most of us. I just know that for me it has been worth at least $1500 per year for several years. Since these benefits are uncertain, I would value them at $750 - $1000 all together.
With the new boarding process, however, my overall desire to maintain Platinum is reduced a little since I would remain Gold.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:33 am

After projecting that I would be 3 segments short of Platinum, I booked a segment run for $220 - BUF-IAD-EWR-BUF.
CMK10, 8MiHi and tstauck like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:01 am

UA Plat - Mileage Run

I will be 8K miles short of UA Plat. Is it worth a EWR-SFO run? I am projecting to hit UA 1K next year with all international segments. Thoughts? The cost will be around $800. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisd125
I will be 8K miles short of UA Plat. Is it worth a EWR-SFO run? I am projecting to hit UA 1K next year with all international segments. Thoughts? The cost will be around $800. Thanks!
There’s a thread for this on the board (“Is it worth it to stretch for Plat?”). In my opinion, no. Platinum is not worth $800.
findark and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
With all international segments the 2 RPUs will be of little value. Gold gets you E+, SDC and BG1. Platinum on International travel gets you extra E+ seating and some reduced fees to go with those RPUs. While it is not clear to me that the status upgrade would make any difference to your travel experience, I still like Platinum over Gold and would be willing to spend a modest amount of time and treasure because I like flying and my wife gets the extra status, too.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also 1 extra award mile per PQD until you hit 75k PQD next year.

And you may be able to do it for less than $800, assuming PQD qualification is not an issue.

All said, though, not worth it in my view.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
Gold gets you E+, SDC and BG1
And lounge access on international flights (if not in biz). I wouldn't run for it unless you travel with family so E+ for more than 2 is worth it.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:53 pm

Is there any difference between gold and platinum for same day Changes?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ttb217
Is there any difference between gold and platinum for same day Changes?
Neither is changed a fee
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This thread has suddenly become meaningful to me again as I currently project to finish 2018 with 69k EQM. Would definitely do a mileage run if I knew I could =RPUs on transcons at booking instead of rolling the dice.

No question Plat lost some value as Group 1 is really Group 2 now that 1Ks pre-board @sfo closer to Group 3 due to hordes of GS and 1Ks, LOL). So BG1 has zero value over Gold now. As for the other perks I would value as follows:
  • 2 RPUs @ $150-200 each (I value higher for transcons than midcons, but easier to use on latter) = $300-400
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority = $0 (rarely clear as 1K @sfo)
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion ($0 - used to have significant value for me but none now thanks to lifetime 1MM status)
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x = $0 (I rarely check 1 bag per person and never check 2 except on ski trips)
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare) Assuming $12k EQD valued @.015 per mile = $180
  • $50 award reservation changes if <60 days (v. $75 for Gold) = $0-200
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability = $0
So for me minimum total value is $480-780 depending on how many awards I change and how I use RPUs.

Marginal value of 1K is much higher as I get unlimited award changes, 6 SWUs plus higher RDM on EQD.
Great analysis. In my case,
  • 2RPUs = $0. I was 1K between 2015 and 2017 and Platinum since the beginning of this year. I hardly got any upgrades using RPUs. I think only 2 cleared (not counting the SFO-LAX short-hauls) as 1K and 0 as Platinum over the past 3 years. Transcon never cleared.
  • RDM (Gold vs Platinum) is worth less than 4K miles because I fly quite a bit on Star Alliance flights.
This year, I will need another 12-13K EQMs in order to qualify for Platinum. I guess I will become 1MM Gold next year.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I believe you also get a physical Premier Platinum card while Premier Gold only gets a digital card. I guess we can assign such a thing $1 in value?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.